DVD Talk
Anybody ever used SwitchDisc.com? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever used SwitchDisc.com?

jfoobar
01-14-02, 03:26 PM
Interesting idea. I had never heard of them until today and didn't find any mention of them with the search engine:

http://www.switchdisc.com

Colleen
01-14-02, 04:45 PM
Wow, that's the EXACT same concept that was used by the now defunct Swapit.com (which I really liked and was sad to see go out of business). The format of the pages isn't very asthetically pleasing, in my opinion. No pictures whatsoever.

I searched for a couple of DVD's that I have that I want to get rid of (Next Best Thing and Wicked), and they didn't show up in their database (there's an "Add to Database" request form that comes up). Doesn't look like they're operating from a standard database of what's in print. That'll make trading discs that aren't really popular a lot of trouble.

Also, from their "Getting Started" page:

What will I get when I order?

Quality used discs, without booklets or cases. Switchdisc is made possible by automation and tight control of shipping costs. Because cases and booklets add significant size and weight, but only limited value, we do not stock or ship them.

Their system for ordering DVD's doesn't sound so hot either.

How do I order discs?

Just put them in your shipping queue. When you have enough points, available items will be automatically shipped to you from your queue, with priority given to the ones higher up on the list. If you don't have enough points for a higher priority item, or if one's not in stock, we'll try to ship you another item from further down in your queue.

They also don't accept credit cards for payment, you have to send them cash, check, or money order to buy "Switchdisc points" which are non-refundable and have no cash value. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0