Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good rental suggestions for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good rental suggestions for PS2?

I just got a PS2, even though I'm strapped for cash, so I'm not going to buy any more PS2 games for awhile (like until I have an income, hopefully soon )... but I'm perfectly willing to spend $5 and rent a title for 5 days from blockbuster. The selection at the BB here isn't too huge, but I would like some suggestions on some PS2 games that would make better rental candidates than games I should buy (and I'm not talking just for quality reasons, but also the length of time they take to beat... I've heard some are pretty short)

So far I have ICO on my list, and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. Though I may check out GT3 just for kicks, even though I plan on buying it eventually (unless GT4 comes out first )

Brian
Old 01-14-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I own:

Twisted Metal: Black (got it for $19.99 at Blockbuster)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Grand Theft Auto III

I'd recommend all three for purchase, but they'd be fun rentals too.

Other suggestions for rental:

Metal Gear Solid 2 - I rented this when I first got my system, but I didn't get very far and got quickly tired of the cutscenes. I might give it another shot.

Devil May Cry - I rented this when I rented a PS2 to see if I wanted to buy one. A good game, but I didn't have a memory card so I only played it for a little while. I want to rent it again.

James Bond: Agent Under Fire - I've heard mixed things about this, but as soon as I have the time I want to rent it and try it out.

Other games I've heard are good "rentals": ICO, Jak and Dexter, Frequency
Old 01-14-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the 18th, Blockbuster will have Maximo: Ghosts to Glory for rent. This is almost a month before it's actual release in stores. Chances are this will be a short game (unfortunately), but it should be great game as well.
Old 01-14-02, 11:09 AM

James Bond Agent Under Fire can be enjoyed and beaten within 5 days. The game is VERY easy, but still quite fun.

Also, Max Payne can be beaten in 5 days if you can get past the dream sequences. After a few days you'll be tired of enter room, kill everyone, collect, enter new room, kill everyone, collect, etc.

A fun alternative to those is Red Faction, since it has no cutscenes. Game just keeps going.
Old 01-14-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GTA3 is a great rental that has varied gameplay since you can just go off and explore at your own leisure. However, you'll most likely fall in love with this game and buy it after you take it back to BB.

MGS2 is not a rental since there's a lot of cutscenes between playtime, which can be a little frustrating if you want long playtimes. (GTA3 is all play-time).

ZOE is a good rental since it has a fair amount of playtime mixed in with some cutscenes. The game itself has good graphics and is in the mecha-genre, which IMO is a plus.

SH2 is not worth a rental since there is a lot of walking, which is very boring. The game certainly scores a plus for it's storyline and overall creepiness factor, but like I said, it's boring because of all the walking.
Old 01-14-02, 11:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Definitely check out SSX Tricky. A five-day rental is enough time to unlock all of the courses, and if you like the game and decide to buy it, there's still plenty to do. I just rented this last week and I was surprised at how good it was.
Old 01-14-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I bought the PS2 so I could play GTA3, and I'm glad I did because the game rocks. Is the james bond game similar to Goldeneye on the N64? I thought that was a pretty cool game.

Brian
Old 01-14-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Baldur's Gate which you already mentioned is a perfect rental.

SpyHunter is also a very good short game.

Stay away from ZOE. Awesome graphics, but boring gameplay.
Old 01-14-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Air Combat 4 is a nice game, but is very easy and beatable withing a day.
Old 01-14-02, 02:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Air Combat 4 is a nice game, but is very easy and beatable withing a day.
A DAY?! Geez! Are you kidding me? On what difficulty?

Fire bad!