Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop is the Worst Retailer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamestop is the Worst Retailer!

After my first bad experience with these guys, I figured it was just a holiday shopping frenzy, but now I know it's not. Back in December, I ordered a PS2 remote, an extra memory card, SSX Tricky and the Max Payne pre-order. After five days without receiving anything from them, I went back on to their site to check my order and it shows that only the PS2 remote was shipped, but not SSX Tricky or the memory card (both of which were listed as in-stock when I placed the order). I was charged $4.99 for s/h by UPS Ground and received the remote four days later. I finally received another shipment which included the memory card and SSX Tricky and was charged an additional $4.99. I found out again that they charged me another $4.99 for the Max Payne shipping.

Figuring this rarely happens, I reluctantly placed an order with Gamestop last week for an XBox remote and DVD Kit (mind you they were both in stock at the time I ordered) and "State of Emergency" PS2 Pre-order. The same thing happened again! They shipped the remote first and charged me $4.99 and will be charging me another $4.99 when the DVD Kit ships and another when my State of Emergency ships. What's wrong with these guys? That's $45 in s/h charges alone. Anyone have this happen to them too?
Old 01-13-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If there is anything I need from Gamestop I'll just go to the store and just pay tax instead of paying shipping and tax (though this probably isn't the case for all states). But fortunatly I have never needed to resort to their store since I usually find everything I need elsewhere. the people at all the gamestops here in austin are morons.
Old 01-13-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I don't order from them, but I wonder if they have an option like Amazon to have everything shipped separately, depending on what's in stock and a shipping option to ship everything at once.
Old 01-14-02, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dispute the 4.99 charges with your CC...
Old 01-14-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmm... the real question is, why did you get the PS2 version of Max Payne when you have an xbox?

I was just reading the review for the PS2 version of that today, which is why I was thinking about it... just got a PS2 several days ago so I've been looking into what games I should get.... I have Max on my PC but was just curious how the PS2 version stacked up.
Old 01-14-02, 07:16 AM

If you have a good PC, you should have gotten Max Payne for that instead. On eBay and other places if you hunt around, the game sells for $15-25 new.
Old 01-14-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

in a word...agreed.

i ordered 3 games...1 came without a case, 1 with a broken case, 1 scratched but apparently playable, 1 was an import version. i'm unhappy with them right now, and i often buy used games (and am pretty tolerant).

i'm in the process of trying to return the import but am sucking it up on the rest...pray for me.

-chess
Old 01-14-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gamestop is the devil!
Old 01-14-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well pixyboi might be right because I think they're owned by the Anti-Christ. And we all know who that is hehe. Well at least in my town that store is in the exact spot as the Anti-Christ was.

Anyway I've yet to go tot he gamespot in my town, I just found out it was there a few weeks ago so I don't have any opinion of them yet, although with the experiences you guys have had I'm having second thoughts. I'm planning on going to see this weekend to see if its good or not, but I don't have loyalty to anystores, if its cheap I'm there .
Old 01-14-02, 01:41 PM
Banned

Gamestop is the Devil

I'm what you call a "casual" gamer. I got into DVD and video games very late. Yeah, I know, but girls aren't supposed to get hooked on things like that ya see? My younger brother came back to visit for Thanksgiving holiday and brought a PS2 with him (he's in the military). I got hooked with Metal Gear II. When he left, he left the system with me. It was fun playing all of the single player games until my nieces and nephews came over and then I experienced multi-player. That's why I bought the additional controls, etc. later in December.

Max Payne is a piece of ca-ca on the PS2. The graphics look blocky, but I didn't know any better. I didn't plan on buying an XBox until one literally dropped in my lap last week.

Back to the subject of Gamestop - I disputed my last order with them totally. I paid $45 for an XBox controller when I could have picked it up from eBay or elsewhere for like $35. I just feel like they're doing it intentionally because I went through the process twice.
Old 01-14-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I would dispute the charge as well. I worked for an evil CC Company for a year and a half and when someone would call in to dispute something if it was less than a certain amount, say 15 dollars or so the computer would just automatically credit the amount back. I guess it is not worth the time it takes to dispute for such a small amount. Worth a shot.