Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

DOH! What's your worst I-just-lost-my-saved-game-file! story?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine happened last night. I had already finished Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2 (albeit on Easy mode), and this unlocked The Gauntlet.

After much toil and trouble, I finally got through The Gauntlet. In my eagerness to save, I re-saved over the original finished game save file--partly out of force-of-habit from all the saves you do in the one player game anyway, and partly because--well, I kinda figured the save would still reflect my original saved game with the information that I completed The Gauntlet.

So I start a new one player game in the new Extreme mode, which I unlocked by beating The Gauntlet, and I'm told I basically can't do it because I need to import a character. Then it hits me that, by saving The Gauntlet over the original file, I've blown away my original game save and my kickbutt Dwarf fighter I'd spent so long building up.

Now I've got my Gauntlet save file as one file, and I've started a second save file for a new game (this time in Normal mode). I've gotta replay through the game and beat it so I can import a character into Extreme mode...ARRRGHHH!!!!

What's your worst oops-I-screwed-up-and-blew-away-a-very-important-save-file story?
Old 01-11-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine was from Banjo-Kazooie. Those who have played the game might remember all the cool stuff that was going on in the Load Game screen. Banjo was playing a GameBoy, a Goldfish was jumping around in his bowl, etc. So one day I was just fooling around seeing if there was anything else cool going on in there. I ended up hitting Z+A and erasing my saved game. I was almost at the end. I did play through the game several other times but I never beat it. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Another disaster happened when I upgraded to Windows XP. I lost the ability to play some games due to compatability issues. So even though I still have my save game files for Project Eden, I'll probably never be able to beat the game. I wish cheap-ass Eidos would make a ****ing patch.
Old 01-11-02, 12:31 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Zelda: Link to the Past, *edit*SNES*edit*

In was ready to fight Aghanim(sp?) the second time. took me a LONG LONG ASS TIME to get to that point. turned on game to find all data was erased by kids of some guests my parents had over. $#@@#$^$%&$#&#$%&$%^#$%^

This was a long, long time ago. And I never did fight Ganon.

--HN

Last edited by HN; 01-11-02 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-11-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Final Fantasy 7 - I had somehow come up with (by accident) the right combination of equipped materia with my characters level to get Cloud in the ever so elusive 7777 HP mode. I was going to save the game to show people that it could be done, but I accidentally saved over it a while later .
Old 01-11-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HN
Zelda: Link to the Past, Original NES
SNES.
Old 01-11-02, 01:20 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

SNES.
My mistake, it's been awhile

--HN
Old 01-11-02, 05:34 PM
Cool New Member

Legend of Zelda - NES

Got all the way to level 9 then made my way through the level.
Died somehow and decided to put it down for a while to go get something to eat. Then I came back, turned on the system and everything was reset. No names, no nothing left on it.

Man that made me mad. I was about nine at the time and I was about to break the cartridge on something.
Old 01-11-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Played Axis&Aliies with some friends(board game) and we put it on the table because we had been playing like 8 hours one night, and went to bed. Came back inthe morning and my roomate put it away because he wanted to eat breakfast at the table, instead of the couch....

Not a video game I know, but it was still a "save gave horror"
Old 01-11-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually have been quite lucky that, no lost saved games for me!

That being said, my friend's son just ATE his PS2 memory card with his 45 hour FFX save on it..
Old 01-11-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not my loss, but I did accidentally overwrite my brother's Final Fantasy 3 game on the SNES. He had about 25 hours on it, and boy was he mad....
Old 01-11-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine was NBA Live 98 on PS. I played a season with the New York Knicks, and I was 15-0. I save the season all the time when I play a game and loaded it again when I want to play it. So the next day, I tried to load it, and in that menu, you can Save, Delete, or Load. This time, I pushed "Delete" instead! I realized it about 5 seconds later and it was still deleting it, and I turned the power off hoping it didn't delete, but it did.
Old 01-11-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
I actually have been quite lucky that, no lost saved games for me!

same here
Old 01-12-02, 04:19 AM

That would probably be Zelda 2 for the NES. Through some weird bug, my character had level 0 sword, which allowed me to kill anything in one hit. Still trying to figure out how the heck that happened... Anyway, the game just broke, and would reset itself every 2 seconds afterward.

On a side note, I took the game to be fixed. They said it would be about a week. It's probably been about a decade now. Unless I'm in some sort of weird time loop....

That would pro--err, wait...
Old 01-13-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Not actually a "save game" problem.

Wizards and Warriors for the NES. I brought my system to my grandparent's house for Xmas and had almost gotten to the end of the game. I remember I was fighting my way up this big-ass mountain and I was almost to the top...then my parents tripped the circuit breaker for the top floor as they were remodeling the bathroom.

I just had this disbelieving stare...
Old 01-13-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to bad for me, except a couple days ago I deleted a 8 game dynasty on NFL Fever.
Old 01-13-02, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by UWSarge
Not my loss, but I did accidentally overwrite my brother's Final Fantasy 3 game on the SNES. He had about 25 hours on it, and boy was he mad....
Sounds a lot like my story. Except I was the brother who lost the save game.
Old 01-13-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Back in the days of yore, when I actually played and finished every game I owned (screw high school homework), I screwed myself on Final Fantasy 3 TWICE. The first time through, I didn't wait for Shadow, and had saved over the scenario just before that. So I had to start over, and grab Shadow this time, so I did, and then screwed up the save on that somehow. Those were the days though, were I'd sit and play that game for 8-9 hours at a clip, so towards the end of that clip, motor skills and normal thought were SHOT TO HELL.

I've also screwed up various saved seasons on sports games...it happens. I had a friend of mine save a Virtua Cop game save over my Panzer Dragoon Saga save on my Saturn once...that was real fun.
Old 01-13-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is easy for me...Madden 99, i had spent like 2 weeks getting every single roster on every team correct including created players to fill holes, and my roomate erased it to play a season as the freakin' Panthers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i never played that version of Madden again!
Old 01-13-02, 03:49 PM
Banned

Mine would have to be on Metal Gear Solid for PS. After beating the game with otacon I played it again and after a while, was able to get meryl. I was at the spot where you are getting the card heated when the power went out.

After staring wide eyed at the screan I calmly got up went out side and started flinging 4 letter words in all directions. When the power came on about 2 hours later the system came on and I turned on the tv. I checked my save and it was not there.

On a Final Fantasy note. A friend of mine erased his 23 hour final fantasy X save.
Old 01-13-02, 05:14 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Phantasy Star Online.... 200 hours pumped into my character. Died thanks to server glitch. Got rid of the game 2 days later :-\

todd