Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD and broken spindles.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD and broken spindles.

Old 01-09-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
DDD and broken spindles.

Is this a common problem with them? First I was ticked off that did not receive War of the Roses until 21 days after the release date (got it today). Even worse was that it and the last DVD I received from them (part of the same preorder - my first order with them) had broken spindles. The discs were floating in the case and of course were pretty scratched up.

Pretty poor all in all. DDD - never again for me. I am running out of decent places to shop for DVDs on-line.
Old 01-09-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had that problem with them. When I've actually received orders from them, they come in pretty good shape. However, there have been orders I never received and another one that went from 1 copy to 10 copies of the same title somewhere in their order process.
Old 01-09-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have ordered dozens of disks form them in the last year with no problem but I also got one with a broken spindle yesterday. That doesn't bother me much... I've had broken disks arrive from Amazon and 800.com too. However, it does drive home the point that this is a discount house. I will repackage and return it... on my nickel... and will get a replacement when the damaged goods arrive back at their location and they swap it out. In contrast, when I got a broken disk form 800.com they immediately sent a new disk and sent a prepaid return label to return the damaged item.
So you can get rock bottom prices or great service but I don't know of anyplace that offers both. Not anymore. Personally, I will continue to use DDD because of the low prices. Their service is not great but it is adequate. I haven't had to resolve a problem very often. If that changes then so will I.
Old 01-09-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my own personal experience (buying *far* too many DVDs), I find that broken spindles are a problem in general and that no retailer is any better or worse. Sometimes they just break in transit. Actually, in a couple dozen orders with DDD, I don't think I've ever had this happen with them.

Overall, I think a certain percentage of DVDs will arrive with broken cases. It was probably just bad luck getting two in a row from DDD... I don't think it's an issue with the retailer itself.
Old 01-09-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
In my own personal experience (buying *far* too many DVDs), I find that broken spindles are a problem in general and that no retailer is any better or worse. Sometimes they just break in transit. Actually, in a couple dozen orders with DDD, I don't think I've ever had this happen with them.

Overall, I think a certain percentage of DVDs will arrive with broken cases. It was probably just bad luck getting two in a row from DDD... I don't think it's an issue with the retailer itself.

I've bought over 150 DVDs online from a variety of places (buy, amazon, cdnow, dvdexpress, reel, cd universe, columbia house, etc) and these 2 were the first 2 that have had broken spindles. If it was isolated, no problem. 2 in a row from the same place makes me question it. I am leery of the fact that they use the same packaging for 1 DVD as they do for 2 DVDs. This increases the chance of a lot of movement within the package which can lead to damage.

They gave me a $5 coupon for my troubles so I ordered American Pie 2 and upgraded my shipping to hopefully avoid the slow delivery. After that, I'll probably just splurge and shop elsewhere next time.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-09-02 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-12-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken spindles are the main problem with buying online (although it never stops me). At least in a B&M you could do the "DVD Shake" before buying. However, with the difference in most prices between online and B&M, I'll stick with online orders and take my chances on having to make a return.