Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy boxed sets?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 12:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like there are a bunch of bigger ticket boxed sets coming out in the near future, and I'm curious how/where folks buy their high $$$ DVD items.

thanks,

Mario.
Old 01-09-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Moving to the DVD Bargains forum... It might be helpful to list the titles you're insterested in too, as folks will tell you there's not an overall concensus on one e-tailer being the end-all-be-all for the lowest deal.

- C

Last edited by Adboy151; 01-09-02 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-09-02, 12:54 PM

The best way is try 2-3 price search engines on each box set. First try the one at dvdtalk. then go to dvdpricesearch.com and then finally try mysimon.com. This way you get more participating sites to compare prices with.
Old 01-09-02, 01:28 PM

I know many hate columbia house, but on box sets their prices are close to competative and can be used to fulfill a membership. I got Sopranos 1st season for $68 from them on sale and got 6 addtional DVDs (enrollment) for about $25.
Old 01-09-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.totalactionuniverse.com

It's a Canandian company and takes forever to arrive. But when you can buy the X-Files box sets for $76 US instead of $114, it's worth the wait.
Old 01-09-02, 02:39 PM

You are right about it taking forever. I waited 6 weeks to get a package from them, and then when I got it, I realized that it took them 4 weeks just to send the damn thing out. Use this site at your own risk, because on top of long waits, they charged my card immediately.
Old 01-09-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Costco usually has decent prices on box sets.
Old 01-09-02, 07:36 PM

J/C, but why are the X-Files box sets so expensive? Buffy The Vampire Slayer is only $30ish. I know it's only 12 episodes, but still...
Old 01-09-02, 07:53 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks much. I'm pobably going to be looking at Costco. The prices seem really good for what they have although their selection is limited.

Thanks,

Mario.
Old 01-09-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4 weeks to send something out from TAU? I ordered x-files season 4 yesterday and it was already shipped out.
Old 01-10-02, 07:03 AM

They told me it was shipped 3 days after I ordered it. When you get it, in the far future, check the package for the shipping date. Playcentric does the same thing.
Old 01-10-02, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by CaptDS9E
4 weeks to send something out from TAU? I ordered x-files season 4 yesterday and it was already shipped out.
I just got my TAU orders from October 20-21's sale *THIS WEEK*.
Old 01-10-02, 10:31 AM

Between Playcentric and these guys, these seem to use the same "we are in Canada" excuse for not having it here in a reasonable time frame. But yet when you finally do get the package, you can check the post date to see that it took them weeks to even ship it.
Old 01-12-02, 05:55 AM

Location: 1st Star to the right and straight until morning! ^^;
Originally posted by JBabbitt
Between Playcentric and these guys, these seem to use the same "we are in Canada" excuse for not having it here in a reasonable time frame. But yet when you finally do get the package, you can check the post date to see that it took them weeks to even ship it.
Talk about B.S backlogged orders. *lol* It's a joke. It's like all those mail in rebate things to get your item for free. Example, $15.99 - $15.99 Mail in rebate = $0 and the tax you paid on top of the item to gt it plus you have to pay for postage and to add to all that, the long wait time for your rebate if the company that issues the rebate don't try to screw you with the "lost in the mail" line. Gak, might as well finish my peeve on the mail in rebates, while you wait for the check to come in you already paid and the company basically holds your money so they can finance other things with your money while promising to return your money and giving you a product for free. If you think about it, it's kind of like how the banks are. Anyways, just my ramble beef on that.

Pix