Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is a $40 Dreamcast worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is a $40 Dreamcast worth getting?

Note that I actually played my Sega Genesis this last weekend, the last gaming system I have. (Plain Nintendo before that, then Atari)

I seem to have caught the tail end of the frenzy that started last month on Dreamcast systems. One of the local places that has used stuff has "a couple" used for sale as of last nite closing time, and I was wondering if I should pick one up. I don't think there are any new ones left after the mega-price cut last month. There *might* be an NFL2k1, NBA2K1 and Crazy Taxi hiding behind some Legos at a local Target just in case I would need it. I would probably get the gamut of sports games (2k1 not 2k2), Crazy Taxi, and then a couple of the games like Shenmue or Soul Caliber or something. Probably outlay something less than $150 total for the equipment and about 8-10 games (one being the "Smash Pack" which has several games on it), VMU, etc., before they can only be found on Ebay.

I had been pondering the X-Box (5.1 sound/graphic platform seems best)/PS2 (GTA3, GT3, FFX, etc) thing (not really into the Gamecube as I don't really need to go retro and play Mario games, and at least can play Rogue Squadron at a friend's, the only reason I would consider GCN. Plus even though it is "cheaper", the networking add ons, etc. would put it in line with the other systems). The "console I chose" thread was very informative to me.

I haven't been a huge PC gamer, and want to take advantage of a 36" tv, my HT sound system and a Lay-Z-Boy (not my crappy monitor, which I don't feel like upgrading for more than the cost of an X-box). And I am sort of a cheap b*stard.

I was hoping the PS2 would 'drop' when the new systems came out, but it looks like we will be "a while" before that happens. But maybe a DC will tide me over until it does?

Your thoughts?

NOTE: If anyone would like me to see if they have an extra DC console for them (plain system, one controller, etc) let me know.
Old 01-09-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i let my in laws get me a dreamcast from toyrus this year for christmas.. because of the low prices.. they ended up getting me the system, controllers, vmus, and several games..
considering there are tons of great games for it.. I could care less if it has been discontinued.. at that price. I think its worthwhile..
games can be found all over for 5-10 bucks.. hardware can still be found very cheap..
I just ordered a couple extention cables and a s-video cable for mine..

for the minimal cost.. I say yea, its worth it

now if the games were still 40-70.. i would think differently.. but with how cheap and easy they are to get.. why not?

I have a couple friends hunting all around right now for them, because all our B&M stores sold out
Old 01-09-02, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Dreamcast is definitely worth it. I was in the same boat, trying to decide what system to get, but cost was my biggest factor as a college student. Everyone in my dorm has PS2s so I played my share of GTA3, but that was all that attracted me to it. I bought the dreamcast because it was so cheap and it was well worth it. I've gotten all my games (about 20) for between 4.99 and 9.99 mostly new and you can't beat that, considering the other system's games go for $50 a pop. I don't know what kind of games you're into, but the Dreamcast has some great RPGs, killer fighters, and some awesome sports games. And, if you can find them, there are a lot of cheap accessories to play around with.
Old 01-09-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just jumped on the DC bandwagon myself (like twikoff, I got one for Christmas) and picked up a few games & VMU's, etc at my local Best Buy stores (before they sell out of everything ... check more than one store, mine varied widely), just picked up Resident Evil Code Veronica (new for $14 at my local FuncoLand) as I was a big fan on the PSX of the RE series. I'd say it is definitely worth it. I can not speak to the other consoles, but I'm happy. If I didn't already have a DVD player, and was going to use the console to do that too, I may have went with one of the others, but money being tight & not needing it to play DVD's, you can't beat games from $5 up... So far, I've got Sonic Adventure $8.99 new, RE Code Veronica (see above), Unreal Tournament (7.99 new), got ShenMue as a gift, and have a friend bringing me Soul Calibur & extra controller, got 2 VMU's, a Tremor pack, and Soul Reaver legacy of Kain ($9.99 new).

Old 01-09-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out some of the packages people are selling Ebay. When I sold mine a few weeks ago I noticed that many reasonably priced auctions weren't even getting any bids. You should be able to get a DC, some accesories, and a few games for less than $100.
Old 01-09-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i would go for it. it has a nice library of quality games, that you can take a year or two to enjoy, so 40$ is totally worth it. plus the games are cheap now (espically the sega all-star lineup)
Old 01-09-02, 12:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I got one for Christmas as well. It was worth it for me just to be able to play House of the Dead 2, Crazy Taxi, and World Series Baseball 2K2.
Old 01-09-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, it is worth it. Games are range from pretty cheap to as-cheap-as-you-want-them-to-be, and there is a lot of good games out there. As mentioned aboved, some of the sports games are really good.

Dave
Old 01-09-02, 04:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yes it is.
Old 01-09-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TONS of AAA titles!!! $40 is less than one new game if you think about it. I got mine at launch and I dont regret it in the least. IMO, it amassed the best library of titles ever (with the possible exception of the PSOne).
Old 01-09-02, 05:55 PM
Banned

WORTH IT!!!!!! Skies of Arcadia is nut busting quality!
Old 01-09-02, 06:02 PM

yes, very worth it. Dreamcast is the greatest system ever. great graphics, lots of great games for cheap (10 bucks, or if you are into that sort of thing you can download and burn the games, but i don't endorse that sort of thing), it can emulate older system like NES and Genesis, and from what i hear you can get it to play VCDs. not to mention online capabilities!

you are a fool if you don't pick up a dreamcast for 40 bucks!!
Old 01-10-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DC is worth it, but I would spend the extra $9.99 and get a new one.
Old 01-10-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$40 for a DC? Hell yeah it's worth it!
Old 01-10-02, 10:01 PM

Moot question.
Old 01-11-02, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Think about it, you're paying about $40-60 for a good game anyways. SO why not spend the $40 for the DC and spend an additional $10-20 for more great games?
Old 01-11-02, 05:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'd say that you dont deserve a dreamcast if you're still thinking about getting one.
Old 01-11-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sleepykid, it can play VCDs, but don't expect much. If it's overly detailed, or has a lot of action, it's choppy to the point of being unwatchable.