Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which N64 FPS was the better game/experience?
Goldeneye 007
67.74%
Turok: Dinosour Hunter
0%
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
0%
Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
0%
Turok: Rage Wars
0%
Doom
6.45%
Quake 2
0%
Perfect Dark
25.81%
Duke Nukem 3D
0%
007: The World Is Not Enough
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Best N64 FPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best N64 FPS

I still think Goldeneye is a better FPS than Perfect Dark. I just couldn't get into the story and the aliens thing was just too far out. Not to mention the time I had to wait until it was release (yes, I'm holding that against it- by the time it came out I played Goldeneye to death).
Old 01-08-02, 03:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I voted Goldeneye. Technically, Perfect Dark is a better game, but it wasn't as innovative to the genre or the console as the earlier game, and I wasn't quite as "wowed" when I first played it (Hope this makes sense). Most console FPS games are derivative of their PC brethern...Goldeneye is the only one that actually inspired PC developers to look in new directions.

Not only that, but it's the best adaptation of a film into a video game I've ever played. You literally feel like you are walking around on the set with the characters.
Old 01-08-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the best Turok was 3 (Shadows of Oblivion) and its not even on your list.
Rage Wars was definitely the weakest.
Old 01-08-02, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have not played all of these fps, but i thought perfect dark was the best because of 2 player co-op.
Old 01-08-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't really like FPS games because they all play the same to me, "if it moves, shoot it". But Golden Eye was the first FPS game that got me to try the genre again when I was at my friends house and I was very impressed with it. Lots of pretty cool stuff like avoiding the enemy, taking them out from a distance using a Sniper Rifle. Then of course there is the sweet remote bombs you can detonate with your watch. And the watch laser to cut open doors. The mission objective based gameplay also added a point to the missions rather than mindless shooting. And the multiplayer rocked!

I agree Groucho, technically Perfect Dark was better, it had more options, more weapons, more multiplayer modes. Goldeneye was pretty innovative to for a console FPS, but I think I liked Perfect Dark better, mainly for the multiplayer. I wasted a lot of time playing this game all night with my friends....it was certainly worth it though! To sum it up: I like the single player of goldeneye better, but I like Perfect Dark for multiplayer. Out of these I only owned the latter though.
Old 01-08-02, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
To sum it up: I like the single player of goldeneye better, but I like Perfect Dark for multiplayer.
I agree with this statement. Perfect Dark is definitely tops for multiplayer with all the options, bots, characters, stats, etc. But I like Goldeneye's one-player missions better than those of Perfect Dark. They're both excellent games though.
Old 01-08-02, 11:03 PM

Even though I haven't played most of the games on that list, I played Goldeneye to death, and probably still would today if I didn't lose my copy. Sadly, I never played Perfect Dark... mainly because I was too cheap to buy one of the silly expansion packs
Old 01-09-02, 03:24 AM

I didn't even have to look at the other choices in the poll -- I voted Goldeneye right away. There is none better.

Goldeneye is still better than PD for many reasons.
pros

-Graphics a good for an earlier N64 game.
-Control is PERFECT. The R-button used for aiming is innovative and perfect. I can shoot whatever I aim at with relative ease.
-Levels are short enough to be played over again, yet challenging as well. I play the bunker level or silo level like it's a quick game of chess.
-The feeling of stealth is better portrayed in G-eye than in PD. Enemies react to pain more realistically. Shoot them in the leg and they stop in their tracks and grab their leg. It's more realistic.
-Multiplayer is better IMO. Short and sweet, which makes it more exciting.
-Real-world settings and human foes make it more fun for some reason. I feel like a badass with two RC-POs (sp?) in each hand blazing down a corridor and the foes are no match for Bond.

Perfect Dark:
pros
-Some good innovations: new weapon selection, secondary feature for most weapons, night goggles...
-better graphics, good music,huge multiplayer

cons
-Storyline soetimes less-than engaging. We see too many "alien" stories everywhere. blah.
-Levels are TOO huge. I *hate* playing that level with the alien spaceship and you have to detonate something (forgot the name).....it takes about 30 minutes to complete. No fun.
-Multiplayer too overwhelming. The levels aren't as nicely laid out as in Goldeneye imo.
-Unfortunately, there is that nagging slowdown in many parts of the game. And forget about hi-res mode. It becomes way too choppy.
-The enemies seem to charge you "DOOM" style rather than behaving realistically as in Goldeneye. I don't know how many times I did a head shot and I swore the guy still acts like nothing happened. And I get shot! I'd like to be rewarded for my "head-shot" please!

Okay that was long, sorry, but I just wanted to show how much I love Goldeneye. Not only one of the best FPS ever, but one of the best games ever, across all platforms.
Old 01-09-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
I thought the best Turok was 3 (Shadows of Oblivion) and its not even on your list.
Rage Wars was definitely the weakest.
Sorry, I forgot that one. I thought 3 was the best of all the turoks. Acclaim was getting a lot out of the system by then. I also forgot Quake I, wasn't that released for the 64?