Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

recommend a rpg

Old 01-06-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommend a rpg

just played thru arcanum, and I want more. what other current RPGs are there. Has the chris reynolds rpg come out yet? How is Siege of avalon? Legend of the north? Anachronox?
Old 01-06-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well...I've never heard of any of the games you listed. You're looking for PC RPGs?
Old 01-07-02, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Anachronox is supposed to be pretty good. You can d/l a demo of it somewhere. I tried for awhile, but it wasn't really my thing. Gothic is another one you'd probably like: http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam...ct/View/001GOT

Tuan Jim
Old 01-07-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wizardy 8 is the best one I've played since Baldur's Gate II.
Old 01-07-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want an RPG experience but would like something other than a traditional fantasy setting, try the Fallout series.

If massively multiplayer online rpg's are of interest, I've been playing Everquest for a couple of years now.
Old 01-07-02, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by stingo
If you want an RPG experience but would like something other than a traditional fantasy setting, try the Fallout series.
What's great about these games is that you can get a box containing both Fallout and Fallout 2 for 9.99 in the "Bargain Bin" at just about any software store. That's an amazing deal.
Old 01-07-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

What's great about these games is that you can get a box containing both Fallout and Fallout 2 for 9.99 in the "Bargain Bin" at just about any software store. That's an amazing deal.
Word! I picked these up and they are great.
Old 01-10-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

fallout is old news for me. I;m actuallly a contributor to a number of fallout faqs. Really hated baldurs gate, but I loved Planescape:Torment. Id really like to keep this thread alive, so please keep the suggestions coming
Old 01-10-02, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave

Word! I picked these up and they are great.
what are the system requirements for Fallout and Fallout 2. I have an old machine so I am just wondering.

Have you ever played Phantasmogoria? I use to love that game alot. You probably have though and it really isn't too much of an RPG but I also loved The Day of the Tentacle too. Those are both old, I know.
Old 01-10-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another massive multiplayer online rpg i'd suggest is Dark Age of Camelot. This is the game that finally allowed me to quit playing Everquest after playing it over a year.
Old 01-10-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RoQuEr
fallout is old news for me. I;m actuallly a contributor to a number of fallout faqs. Really hated baldurs gate, but I loved Planescape:Torment. Id really like to keep this thread alive, so please keep the suggestions coming
Did you try Baldur's Gate II? I didn't really like the original, but I loved the second one.
Old 01-10-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen

what are the system requirements for Fallout and Fallout 2. I have an old machine so I am just wondering.

Have you ever played Phantasmogoria? I use to love that game alot. You probably have though and it really isn't too much of an RPG but I also loved The Day of the Tentacle too. Those are both old, I know.
I played em with a P2 300, and loading was a tad slow, but since it's turnbased, you won't lose out in combat or anything.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-10-02, 12:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have played through Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment (until my OS crashed and I lost my save files for Planescape... AAAAAARGH!... my Nameless One was pretty awesome), which I both loved, but I just couldn't get into Fallout. Played it after Baldur's Gate II. Maybe I should be more patient or something.

I'm considering picking up BG I and the expansion pack, and taking a character all the way through BG I ---> BG II's expansion pack (which I have yet to play). I'm just wondering if BG I will be a disappointment after playing through BG II already. Any thoughts?

Fire bad!
Old 01-10-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't get into BG at all -- guess I'm not used to the D&D system, but it wasn't nearly as intuitive as Fallout -- plus, the combat was all whacky, not that good old fashioned turn-based goodness.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-10-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim

I played em with a P2 300, and loading was a tad slow, but since it's turnbased, you won't lose out in combat or anything.

Tuan Jim
I used to play the original on a p75 laptop. You may need to do a full install though.

Don't bother with fallout tactics either. It's boring and unchallenging.
Old 01-10-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

F: Tactics was fun IMO, but it took so dang long to play a single mission, and it was buggy beyond belief. I can't believe it went gold as soon as it did. A good game on it's own, but it's pretty half-assed for having the Fallout name on it.

Tuan Jim