Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Jax And Daxter

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jax And Daxter

WHERE CAN I FIND A STRATEGY FOR JAX AND DAXTER HAVING TROUBLE FINDING SOME OF THE ORBS
Old 01-03-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/32490.html
Old 01-03-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
A great, great game that I'm loving to play right now, but....
I have got the dreaded racing bug. It's a little hard to beat a lap time of 0:01. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what to do (Sony's customer support line promptly hangs up on me when I call).
Old 01-03-02, 06:10 PM

yup i would have to agree with you its a great game to bad i have no life now because im playing it all the time
Old 01-03-02, 06:41 PM

This game looks awesome. I've been busy w/ FFX and finsihing the last missions of GTA3, but I decided I needed a platform game today to throw in the mix. I bought Klonoa 2 used and its good, but I have a feeling I will be done w/ it very soon. Maybe I will trade it in for J&D.
Old 01-04-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you guys recommend this for someone who isn't really into platformers (yet)?

I played the demo I received in the mail and was really impressed. I'm worried that I'll get frustrated with it though. Here's my fear: I'll make it to a certain point and not be able to jump on a moving platform and continue to fall to my death over and over, resulting in constantly having to start a whole section over again.

I didn't think I liked console RPGs, but now I'm addicted to Final Fantasy X. Maybe it's time to broaden my horizons.
Old 01-04-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J&D, just like other platformers, can be a pain at some times, but it's still a great game. It all depends on how patient you are in playing one of these games. If you're the type that gets frustrated after a couple of tries, then you might want to pass on this one. There were several spots in the game that had me going crazy trying to get through, but I finally did. Luckily, it's not like that throughout the whole game.

Of the current PS2 platforms out there, I'd say it's the best one.
Old 01-04-02, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by BigDave
J&D, just like other platformers, can be a pain at some times, but it's still a great game. It all depends on how patient you are in playing one of these games. If you're the type that gets frustrated after a couple of tries, then you might want to pass on this one. There were several spots in the game that had me going crazy trying to get through, but I finally did. Luckily, it's not like that throughout the whole game.
Except for the end, the jumps across those rotating wedges are very annoying and frustrating. I'm close to giving up and selling the game.

Of the current PS2 platforms out there, I'd say it's the best one.
Rayman 2 is also very good, I'd say it is equivalent.

Though I did not find parts of it to be as annoying as parts of Jak & Daxter (Crash Bandicoot with a mascot)
Old 01-05-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I'm a big fan of Crash Bandicoot and I really do not think its fair to hold Jak and Daxter in the same breath with Crash. Sure they are both platform, but J&D is a free-roaming enviroment which makes this amazing.

As far as worried about falling voer and over to your death, don't worry about that too much. The two things you have to worry about in J&D are:

1. Standing too close to the edge of a cliff to look over and falling into the ocean where this huge fish comes and eats you. Not sure if there is a way to fend him off yet. BTW, my subwoofer scares the crap out of me every time he approaches.

2. Let's say each section of the game has 7 objectives. You will complete 6 and be dumbfounded as to how to complete the 7th.

J&D also has a game hint mode. It is very conservative in that it doesnt telly ou what to do if you are stuck, but rather reminds you of the moves you have and what certain power ups do, etc.

I NEED HELP!

ALSO, in the village toward the beginning of the game, when yuo climb onto the poles in the ocean (across the way from the strange-looking statue), I can reach the second pole with a jump. But I cannot get to the third pole to save my life. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure that third pole leads to a jump to the cliff wall where that strange-looking statue is.

SPY
Old 01-05-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bothan,

Do the special roll-jump move. It's like R1 (Roll) and then X (Jump). Practice that move for long jumps.
Old 01-05-02, 04:21 PM

[IMG][/IMG] lol same here i didnt know of any of those moves so i have to back track to get some of the things that i need
Old 01-06-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by happypants

Rayman 2 is also very good, I'd say it is equivalent.

Though I did not find parts of it to be as annoying as parts of Jak & Daxter (Crash Bandicoot with a mascot)
I have both games and think J&D is 500X better than Rayman. Those rocket-riding levels on Rayman are impossible, not due to level design, but due to an extremely choppy framerate; sometimes I'd run off a bridge before I even saw it. Compare them to the smoothness of the zommer levels on J&D. I have been stuck plenty of times with J&D, but with a little concentration and work, I'm always able to get past the next challenge (excluding that racing bug that I mentioned in my previous post), which in my opinion is the definition of a great game.

A couple of other things I like about J&D: You always have a reason to collect things. In all 3d platformers you're collecting items to get to the next area, but here the story has you doing this for a reason (to bribe villagers, to power up a heat shield,ect) It makes it a lot more fun if it feels less like an Easter egg hunt. I also like how the levels are mixed up with challenges. Even "traditional" Platform levels like The Lost City have traditonal jumping platforms, "skiing" areas, puzzles and Crash-like chases. It's a lot less monotonous than most platformers.

ps: Anyone else have the racing bug on the planes level?
Old 01-06-02, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Decker

I have both games and think J&D is 500X better than Rayman. Those rocket-riding levels on Rayman are impossible, not due to level design, but due to an extremely choppy framerate; sometimes I'd run off a bridge before I even saw it.
I wonder if this is specific to the PS2... because I played Rayman on Dreamcast and it was very smooth (60 fps) and I really didn't have any problems finishing the game.

Compare them to the smoothness of the zommer levels on J&D. I have been stuck plenty of times with J&D, but with a little concentration and work, I'm always able to get past the next challenge (excluding that racing bug that I mentioned in my previous post), which in my opinion is the definition of a great game.
I felt they're equivalent because the rocket levels (Rayman) and the plane levels (J&D) are long enough that you have to remember the sequence of moves to make it through the level, and probably will not make it through the first time.