Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I have a $1300...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a $1300...

...and I need to get my parents a set of surround speakers with a sub, a new dvd player, and a receiver. Their room is a decent size and Im not to into those all in one packages.

Can anyone help me out. Suggestions and advice will be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 01-02-02, 08:57 PM
Gomez

- Denon, harman/kardon or Yamaha receiver
- Energy satellite speakers and center
- Speaker stands of your choice
- Panasonic RP-91, Malata or JVC 60-series DVD (good progressive scan players)
- I'm not too well-versed on subs so you're on your own
- AVIA DVD disc to fine-tune the television picture

Buy the stuff online and you'll save major cash, or at least go to a store that will match your best online price.

Don't believe the hype about really expensive cables and wires: anything more than AR cables and plain ol' Home Depot 16ga speaker wire and you're wasting your money (unless you have a $50,000+ audio system).

Hook the DVD player up to the TV's "component" (not composite) inputs if it has 'em, otherwise use the S-video input.

A good resource, even better than here, is www.audioreview.com to compare countless A/V products.

Check out my system in my signature - I have no regrets and would have bought the same equipment with better speakers if I'd had more money when I bought it all.
Old 01-02-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like your setup but any reason you chose the panasonic HDTV? Just would like to know.

Originally posted by Gomez
- Denon, harman/kardon or Yamaha receiver
- Energy satellite speakers and center
- Speaker stands of your choice
- Panasonic RP-91, Malata or JVC 60-series DVD (good progressive scan players)
- I'm not too well-versed on subs so you're on your own
- AVIA DVD disc to fine-tune the television picture

Buy the stuff online and you'll save major cash, or at least go to a store that will match your best online price.

Don't believe the hype about really expensive cables and wires: anything more than AR cables and plain ol' Home Depot 16ga speaker wire and you're wasting your money (unless you have a $50,000+ audio system).

Hook the DVD player up to the TV's "component" (not composite) inputs if it has 'em, otherwise use the S-video input.

A good resource, even better than here, is www.audioreview.com to compare countless A/V products.

Check out my system in my signature - I have no regrets and would have bought the same equipment with better speakers if I'd had more money when I bought it all.
Old 01-02-02, 10:56 PM
Gomez

Originally posted by TheKobra
I like your setup but any reason you chose the panasonic HDTV? Just would like to know.

Price and good reviews from ISF techs. "Not as good as other sets out of the box, but will hold its own against and even outshine many more expensive sets when calibrated."

Plus, I like the way the set looks and is not too deep. However, now that it's broken in it's in serious need of an ISF - colors look somewhat off. I can't complain too much for $1650 for a 47" 16:9 HD set, though.