Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo.. is this it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo.. is this it?

Don't get me wrong, I've become a big halo fan since my purchase.

.. However, Is this it? I'm about to beat the game on normal, then I'm going to go after legendary, it's been pretty easy, but with no penalty for dying, but going back to your last checkpoint, doesn't really make you care if you die.

It seams to me there should be a lot more to this game.
lets look

1. we have normal game play beat the game single player

2. same thing but co-op with you and a buddy

3. Multiplayer 2-16 with a LAN

Dose anyone know if you get anything for beating the game?

OK so no stimulants or challenges like PD (perfect Dark)
And how big are these X-box disc's 1.4 gig? Or bigger?
AND what has bugged me the most!!! Has anyone found an IN GAME audio option where you can lower the music or SFX?? what the hell is that.

So what I'm saying.. Great game, great game play, SERIOUS lack of Options and reply value. If only it had these thing that it's lacking I could say it has surpassed PD and GE, for now PD is still my #1 console FPS.

Get a clue halo team
Old 01-02-02, 06:55 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

So what I'm saying.. Great game, great game play, SERIOUS lack of Options and reply value.

Get a clue halo team
It's called Halo online.

www.gamespyarcade.com Click on XBox Online.

offensive remarks removed. -namja

Last edited by Flay; 01-02-02 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-02-02, 07:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

You are going from Normal to Legendary? You won't get past the second level.
Old 01-02-02, 07:07 PM

I'm speaking from a single player point of view, you can't say you would not like to have an option to fight stimulants like in PD?

After the game is beaten on all levels what do you do then? What if you don't have broad band?

Multiplayer doesn't make the game.

All i'm saying is, I expected many more options for a main title, more weapons, more game options, more, more, more. It's a great game but it's also lacking alot. For all the hype.
Old 01-02-02, 07:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

You can also design your own multiplayer deathmatches and have a lot of freedom as to what you can do with them.
Old 01-02-02, 07:12 PM

Yeah I tried the multi custom games, I dunno it still feels a little restrictive. I know it's not PD and GE, but i want a turbo mode and one hit kills
Old 01-02-02, 07:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

The game is a pushover in normal mode, in heroic mode you'll feel better about the game. In Legendary you'll hate the game unless you go two player.
Old 01-02-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, all I expected was a solid, ingrossing single-player experience. Halo delivered that in spades.

Thanks Bungie.
Old 01-02-02, 08:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Nismo Nate
What if you don't have broad band?
offensive remarks removed. -namja

You better get broadband if you want to play now or when MS launches their online network in the Spring. Why did you buy an XBox if you didn't plan on having broadband?

Anyway, Broadband is totally worth it just for the internet service. Halo online is just an extra.
Old 01-02-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I suck at games but this game is FUN and has great graphics I'm totally engroosed in it....I like how the bodies don't disappear right away. You can even blow up the bodies and make them flip across the ground while they lay dead... a guilty pleasure
Old 01-02-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Nismo - you have no idea what goes into making a video game apparently... this game adds tons of technology to the mix of FPS games. Years in the making - it's a marvel of technology and well developed story and atmosphere... my personal complaint with it is the redundancy of some of the levels - reminds me of Serious Sam, but apart from that I think it's a well constructed game and you at least have to appreciate the efforts that went into making such a game. If this were a PC game (which it soon will be I understand), you could go to an online community of gamers who make their own levels and continue the story from there. I guess I don't understand what you're complaining about? What do you want for finishing the game? A cookie? Good for you - pat on the back... were you expecting some Final Fantasy cinematic or something? I don't know what you're talking about with the "stimulants" - sounds like you were hoping a couple of hits of meth would pop out of the screen for you to trip on. I wasn't very impressed with Goldeneye or Perfect Dark (although PD had some nice elements to it), but I was raised on PC FPS games, so perhaps my standards are too high. Halo has outstanding AI, compelling storyline, great graphics, atmostpheric sound, cool weapons and it's just damn fun to play. Even though it took you a day or a few hours to complete, remember it took many people years to make it. Anyway - I like Halo and even though it's not the best FPS game I've ever played, it's very well done and it's the first console FPS game that I've enjoyed. I say Kudos to the Halo team for making a great game. I think you ought to perhaps give them a bit more credit seeing as how you did seem to enjoy the game. Isn't that the point though? Leave them wanting more?
Old 01-03-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, this game definitely rocked. Me and a friend just finished playing for 8 hours straight, literally, two piss breaks and one snack break. It rocked.

I don't mind the part about having unlimited lives at all

I would like to turn the music down just a bit, so I could hear what the characters were saying. That's just a minor gripe. I can't wait to play online.
Old 01-03-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't there news a couple of months ago that Halo for Xbox will NEVER have internet multiplayer capabilities?
I haven't been keeping up to date with news on this game so I don't know if it has changed or not, but here is the link.

http://consolewire.com/news/item.asp?nid=1315

As far as I'm concerned Halo Xbox is a cut down version of what you'll see on the PC. Most of the features you guys are talking about have been on PC games for a few years now.

I can understand that this may be a new thing for consoles, but really, you just know a better version will be available for the PC.
Old 01-03-02, 05:49 AM

fmian:

Dude that article was way back in May 2001. Where have you been?? People have been playing Halo on the internet for the last month or so...
Old 01-03-02, 08:56 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by fmian
Wasn't there news a couple of months ago that Halo for Xbox will NEVER have internet multiplayer capabilities?
, time to wake from hybernation.
Old 01-03-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Flay
You better get broadband if you want to play now or when MS launches their online network in the Spring. Why did you buy an XBox if you didn't plan on having broadband?

Anyway, Broadband is totally worth it just for the internet service. Halo online is just an extra.
Interruption

I just moved into a new home, and had to give up my cable modem. There is NO high-speed internet service, cable or DSL, that I can get where I live now, at least for the time being. And it's AT&T and Qwest, so I'm not holding my breath.

Just some perspective that some people don't have access to broadband but still expect that a game released before a network is even available doesn't rely on broadband to make it a worthy purchase.

I haven't played much of Halo, but what I've seen looks decent. But not everyone has broadband options.

And I think "stimulants" was what PD called "bots." I have never played Unreal Tournament online, but I played against the bots constantly. Always enjoyed that...

Continue
Old 01-03-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
Just some perspective that some people don't have access to broadband but still expect that a game released before a network is even available doesn't rely on broadband to make it a worthy purchase.
Totally agree with you here. The fact is the majority of people on the internet today are still stuck at 56k. Much like Draven, I am also in an area that does not have broadband capabilities yet thanks to Qwest and AT&T's incompetence with hooking up the whole metro area or at least the pieces that they have power over (Qwest actually does not service ALL of the metro and Time Warner shares with AT&T).

Outstate Minnesota cities (i.e. affluent northern ones such as Duluth, Brainerd, Bemidji, etc.) actually have broadband available while some people in the outer ring (outside the 494/694 loop) affluent metro suburbs don't.

Having broadband is not a prerequisite to owning an X-Box. Many people like playing single-player games and are not interested in going on-line to play their games. Yes it's an added benefit, but they aren't buying the X-Box just for that.

I personally will probably never play console games on the internet unless FFXI is free as they're going to do in Japan. I played NFL2k1 and NBA2k1 on-line and it really wasn't that exciting. The computer is the place where on-line gaming is fun and many people are still stuck at 56k for that as well.
Old 01-03-02, 12:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Fox where the heck do you live? I'm in Mounds View, which is near Blaine and the last way to describe this suburb would be aflluent. I get ATT Broadband. Have you checked recently? You know they are constantly expanding.
Old 01-03-02, 12:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

draven-x, looks decent is a understatement! It really is a wonderful gaming experience. In no way does this game need broadband to make it better. That's just the icing on the cake.
Old 01-03-02, 12:54 PM
Retired

Did you ever stop to think that broadband might not be available in his area? Or maybe he can't afford it? Or maybe he's like me and has no desire in playing games online and only wants to play with his friends in the same room?

It is good to think through the possibilities before being a jerk and make a snide reply.

The fact is that broad band is too expensive for most people, $40+ a month here, and is still not available in many areas. Plus, many people, myself included, don't like online games. I want to play with my friends in the same room, not over the internet, otherwise I'd just rather play single player.

His gripes about Halo are certainly worthwhile. The single player games is fantastic, but the multiplayer deathmatches leave a lot to be desired, especially next to Perfect Dark which game you tons of options on how to set up a deathmatch. The lack of simulants is also inexcusable, they add a ton of replay value. For one you can practice against them buy yourself to get better at death matches, and secondly it makes multiplayer deathmatches more interesting if you have some computer controlled characters running around.
Old 01-03-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Fox where the heck do you live? I'm in Mounds View, which is near Blaine and the last way to describe this suburb would be aflluent. I get ATT Broadband. Have you checked recently? You know they are constantly expanding.
I'm northeast of you or directly east of you if you are closer to Blaine. It was planned that DSL and/or cable modem would come to the area by August and I have seen both ATT and Qwest putting orange lines down for cable, but they have not put any cable down yet in my area of the city. I would guess they are waiting until Spring. I never had cable until I went out to get a satellite system because cable did not come to my house. The farthest north high speed has come to me is White Bear Lake and Stillwater.

And when I say affluent I mean more along the lines of there are people who would probably pay the money to get DSL or cable in the parts of the metro that does not have it. Considering I am planning to move in the next few months it would be useless to pay for them to bring a line down to my house (and they will make me pay to string cable down to the house). Nevermind that I have enough to bide my time currently without adding broadband on-line gaming to the plate .

And I stopped checking around October...
Old 01-03-02, 01:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

multiplayer deathmatches leave a lot to be desired
What on Earth are you talking about? Bots are nice, but not including them is forgivable. As for Perfect Dark, Can you have multiple players jump in tanks or jeeps in deathmatch mode and blow each other up that way? There are practically limitless "make your own rules" deathmatch modes, especially if you have some creativity.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 01-03-02 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-03-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
The fact is that broad band is too expensive for most people, $40+ a month here, and is still not available in many areas. Plus, many people, myself included, don't like online games. I want to play with my friends in the same room, not over the internet, otherwise I'd just rather play single player.
In total agreement with you. When I move and broadband is readily available (and trust me, that will be a significant factor in where I move) I'll probably pay the big bucks for it. Thing is I would probably play PC games and use the speed more for the internet than playing my PS2, X-Box, GameCube, etc. on-line. I have grown up playing single-player because I didn't have anyone around my age that liked to play games in my area. But I would easily play PC games on-line.
Old 01-03-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

The lack of simulants is also inexcusable, they add a ton of replay value.
Well, I'm pretty sure Bungie was in a lot of pressure by Microsoft to get the game out alongside the launch of the XBox. The development effort required to get decent bots implemented cannot be underestimated (the development of the Quake 3 bots was what held that game up for as long as it did).

Also, even though I have broadband at home I really don't have any intention of playing Halo online. A solid single-player experience was all I expected from Halo and that is definately what it brings. Everything else would have been icing on the cake, but I wouldn't have wanted the game's release to be delayed because of it.
Old 01-03-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's called Halo online.

www.gamespyarcade.com Click on XBox Online.

Wiring your XBox through your PC and playing Halo online through Gamespy Arcade doesn't count in my book, because most people have never heard of Gamespy and would have no idea how to do this.

Halo did not support internet play out of the box, and I would say that internet play is not available to all but a small minority of potential XBox owners

If you need broadband to enjoy XBox then the XBox is doomed, because broadband users are a pretty small market. Eventually, most people will have it, but that's a good 3-5 years down the road, which will be too late for the XBox. Right now, many people don't see any reason to pay that much more per month for internet service, and many people don't have any broadband option available in their area.

I'd say broadband needs to cost $29.99 per month, and must be extremely problem free and user friendly before it reaches a market penetration that can support the XBox. Until then, the XBox either needs to be strong enough with its offline games, or it needs to die.

You can't have a niche console, just for geeks and early adopters. There aren't enough people to support it. Dreamcast proved that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.