Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

RPTV vs direct for about 2K

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-01-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, i know this must have been discussed a gazillion times, but i need recent opinions. argh...this TV purchase is gonna drive me crazy for sure.

okay, i'm willing to spend $2000-2500. that'll get me a larger RPTV (about 50-51"), BUT i'll need to have control over ambient lighting. i have to be facing it almost directly to see it clearly.

it will also get me a 36" sony xbr450, or 34" toshiba or panasonic widescreen direct view TV.
is the 36" width the same as the 34" 16:9 tv's? if so, that would make my decision a no brainer as the sony can be found for $1999.
the main downside to this is that the screen size is much smaller and set is HEAVY. and...well...that's about all i can think of.

and now to top it off, i'm thinking of a front PJ, thanks to chlolack (excuse me if i mangled your name). btw, did you know that Sony has a front PJ designed for HT use that's $2999 retail?

finally, one big question - when do new models tend to come out? i'm not in a big hurry so if they are coming out in the next few months, i can wait. the XBR450 seems to be on sale everywhere, which means to me that sony will be dropping the retail price soon.
Old 01-01-02, 09:35 PM
0ne

This TV can be had for around $1500 if you bargain hunt or 1900 if you go to BBY or Sears.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

The Toshiba 50h71. Great TV, has a 3D Y/C comb, Built in screen protector ( removable to reduce glare) Anamoprhic compression for viewing of DVD's, Auto convergence(!) and two component inputs, one for DVD, the other for your HD box. This is one of the better Tv's that my store (BBY) sells and the price is fantastic. Sure going with a direct view you get a bit better picture but everyone wants an overall bigger screen

With the older (1980's) projo's you had to be viewing the screen with your eyes almost dead center 3 times the height of the Tv away in a room w/ dim lights. Not true anymore, with an HD projection you can get a very wide viewing angle (~150 degrees) with no major picture quality loss.

53" version of same TV.

Another great RPTV

Old 01-01-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goto www.goodguys.com they have the best prices I have ever seen on the net. Free shipping and no sales tax even if you live in California. They also protect their price for 60 days. Who else does that on the net. I just purchased a RCA HDTV direct view(for my computer room hehe) for $996.00 shipped.

Currently if you spend $2000.00 with them you get $150.00 off you order. I have no idea how they do it but several items are sold below cost.

Good Luck.
Old 01-02-02, 12:05 AM
Gomez

I have a Panasonic PT47WX49 and like it a lot, see the link to my HT setup in my sig. Cost is $1500-2000 depending on how well you shop around.