Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

A word about The Pledge

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word about The Pledge

I have been avoiding The Pledge for the longest time. I kept looking at the cover and thought it was just another fill in the blank Jack N. movie. Boy was I wrong!

This is one of the most visually stunning, haunting movies I have seen to date. Couple that with the beautiful and esoteric music score, and I was drawn to it with wonder.

Mixed emotions (sad, depressed, in awe, anticipation.) What's going to happen next. Who is the real killer. What a beautiful scene. What a beautiful sound track. So many things going on at once. Not to mention, this is arguably one of Jacks best perfomances.

As for the famous ending. I guess that was my only dissapointment. I knew what Penn was trying to say, but I would have liked to see Jack's guilt satisfied instead of him becoming a babbling drunk. But there is still about 10% of me that is asking who the killer really was. Was the Indian lying about beaver trapping? Was the preacher wearing a wig? Was it someone who was just a random serial killer? Was it the shop keeper afterall? To me, leaving that small tidbit in my mind after such an emotional experience is what makes Penn's genius.

I hope this underated movie gets recognized at the awards.
Old 12-31-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mhmurray:
you may want to edit that to include a spoilers tag-

i couldn't agree with you more. in fact your hesitant inclinations about this title completely parallel my own.
i was getting really tired of the standard JN mode/performance and i saw this on the shelf all the time and avoided it like the plauge.
only, reluctantly, rented it out after hearing tremendous word of mouth on forums like this and like you, very (pleasantly?) surprised.
a top notch job all around, and i may even *gasp* consider this as a purchase in the future.
even after i saw it, i didn't think i would want it, but like The Sweet Hereafter, i just can't get it out of my head.
Old 01-01-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: A word about The Pledge

Originally posted by mhmurray
There is still about 10% of me that is asking who the killer really was. Was the Indian lying about beaver trapping? Was the preacher wearing a wig? Was it someone who was just a random serial killer? Was it the shop keeper afterall? To me, leaving that small tidbit in my mind after such an emotional experience is what makes Penn's genius.

I hope this underated movie gets recognized at the awards.

Great film, my second favorite this year after Mulholland Drive!

It's been a while since I saw this film, (saw it 3 times). If you've only see it once watch it again.
Spoiler:
The killer dies in the carwreck at the end of the film. You see tiny porcupines in his car, I think they're on the rearview mirror, and if my memory serves me right he was the son of the store owner who sold the porcupine stuff, or the woman who actually made the porcupine doo dads and nic nacs. I believe his mother even mentions him by name once in the film, and for some reason, I also remember that the second time I watched it, I noticed the car he dies in parked outside the store that Jack visits early in the film.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 01-01-02, 07:02 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
His name was Oliver, and he was the son of the store owner.
Old 01-01-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Monkey!

Originally posted by monkey
Spoiler:
His name was Oliver, and he was the son of the store owner.
cheers, Tony Block
Old 01-08-02, 03:15 AM

* * * SPOILER AHEAD * * *

* * * SPOILER AHEAD * * *

are you sure oliver was the son? he was briefly visible in the background in one scene, and he looked like an older grey hair gent - more likely to be her husband?
Old 01-09-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: A word about The Pledge

My thoughts:

Spoiler:
I'm gonna agree on the fact that Oliver was NOT the woman's son. She was his husband. You can see him briefly in the first scene where Oliver's asking the shopkeeper about the murdered girl's grandmother (or aunt? It's been a while). Also, I THINK it shows the shopkeeper looking for those chocolate porcupines after the wizard has already left to meet the little girl... but maybe she was just looking for him. Memory could be failing me. Also, it's important to note that the killer is NOT Larry (I think that was his name), the wooden porcupine guy. The shop that the wizard comes from is a different shop, and the porcupines that clue us in on the killer are chocolate and have no correlation to the wooden ones. Larry's just a werid guy. Not sure if anyone was confused on that or not.

'E
Old 01-09-02, 05:33 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
He may have been the husband, I just know he's somehow related to the store owner (obviously).
Old 01-09-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by monkey
Spoiler:
He may have been the husband, I just know he's somehow related to the store owner (obviously).
And he was a bad man too! hehehehehe!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 01-09-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Definitely a one timer for me
Old 01-09-02, 10:20 PM

Black Square
Old 01-10-02, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Black Square
Yep, Black Square (with smilies)!! ..that is how I feel about the movie

Spoiler:
What a moron mhmurray is j/k
Old 01-14-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't say this about many movie, but I did not like it at all. I might go as far as saying, I hated the movie.
Old 01-15-02, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I don't say this about many movie, but I did not like it at all. I might go as far as saying, I hated the movie.
Could you elaborate. What was it about the movie that you hated. Thanks.
Old 01-15-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Black Square
Spoiler:
BLACK Rectangle?

cheers, Tony Block