Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advise--Want to install TV/DVD in my 2001 Suburban

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for installing a tv with tuner and dvd player in my suburban. I just came across a post for an ACI portable region free dvd player (ACI FLEX-1000B) and Sony (DVPF5) Portable DVD Player but, what about the rest of the equipment needed?

I'm a green horn so, speak slowly.....please (ha!ha!).

Last edited by tazmanian; 12-29-01 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-11-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-02, 10:52 AM

I think it will depend on how 'neat' a job you want.

I've got a TV/VCR in my van (hey, that's the best they had in 1997), and although the parts look pretty simple, the details will be difficult. Mine is wired to a control panel on the roof next to the driver (with an enormous wiring harness), plus some kind of antenna cable (not exactly where the antenna is, last van used the roof rack - maybe in the attic?), plus wiring to the speakers (with, of course, multiple zones). Everything is mounted in a nice wooden rack (matching the trim) located between the driver and passenger (I can see it, but I have to lean back between the seats ).

You'd need the TV and DVD (obviously), and some kind of stand/rack for both (new regs for converters say TV must be on floor, not hung from ceiling), speakers (brings the sound closer to viewers ears), gobs of various cable/wiring, and switches. You might have to provide a power source direct to the battery (and extra circuit breakers).

You might want to price this out at a good mobile sound shop before you jump into DIY.