Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy B&M Problem

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy B&M Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Best Buy B&M Problem

I am posting this here because I know a lot of the online retailers read this forum and I am hoping the information gets passed to the retail outlets.

I had not been in my local Best Buy store for a long while before this afternoon. It was fairly crowded as it always is, but by far the most crowded aisle was also the narrowest, the one that contained most of the DVD's. I was very impressed with their selection, but I could not really stop to look at anything or bend over to look at things that were not at eye level because of the crowds. Meanwhile, the telephones & the vacuum cleaners have a huge, wide aisle all to themselves and no one is browsing there.

I know that Best Buy would sell more DVDs if they would simply put the movies in a wider aisle. This may only be a problem at the store near me, but it is so unbelievably asinine to me to have 50% of the people in the store crammed into the narrowest aisle while much of the rest of the store remains empty.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. You may now resume your regular browsing.
Old 12-30-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local Best Buy has this same ingenious setup for DVD's & Video Games (including the kiosks !) So when 5 kids are standing around each of the demo consoles you can barely get down the aisles. Its really painful... I tried to get around this by doing the shop online, pick it up at the store thing, but man that's an even more painful experience ...
Old 12-30-01, 11:21 PM

Well don't just sit there and complain about Best Buy's overcrowded aisles--wriite them about it!

Their address is:
Best Buy
P.O. Box 9312
Minneapolis, Mn 55440-9312

I just wrote them about one of my biggest gripes--lack of organization of DVD titles. How do you know what section your DVD title is stocked?

In my case I wanted ANY GIVEN SUNDAY (about professional football). After checking several sections, I finally found it in the "Action/Adventure" section.
This is a sports film--not Indiana Jones or The Terminator!
Old 12-31-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The size of the aisle depends on the size of the store. Most of the larger Best Buys in my area have wider dvd aisle. Their is not much they are going to do to improve on spacing.

As for the category, it is my understanding that Best Buy and a few other retailers, place the product where the manufacturer wants it to go. So that Any Given Sunday is in action/adventure is at the suggestion of someone other than Best Buy. They do change their minds, however. Star Wars T.P.M. was placed in action before it was moved to Sci-fi.
Old 12-31-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah the best buy out here in Garden City, LI has smaller dvd/video game isles for people to stand in. Its expecially a pain since you cant stop at look for a second without having to move. The orginization is also a little messed up. Rush Hour 2 wasnt even in the comedy section, under action. I was picking up a gamecube game yesterday and i see a bunch of games in a small tiny section. So i thought they didnt have any others. I was about to leave but out of the corner of my eye as i turn around i see more. They spilt the games up and put the other half across next to N64 titles. I finally find the game i want and go wait on line. They had 2 extra checkouts for returns. The lines were empty while everyone was at the normal customer service line exchanging. They had 2 lines for regular people paying and those lines were long. Good 30 minute wait. Then they had 2 lines for people for buying a xbox systems. Yes 2 lines They had about a 100 x-box's stacked near the registers. Guess what. 2 cashiers and not 1 person was in line buying a xbox at all. So 4 registers with cashiers doing nadda while 2 were for regular purchases.
Old 01-01-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by dvdirv
Well don't just sit there and complain about Best Buy's overcrowded aisles--wriite them about it!
I would write them a letter, but I'm afraid a big yellow foam rubber pricetag will kick down my front door like they used to in those TV commercials back when they had the suggestion boxes.
Old 01-02-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
They need the space for thier bobble head dolls and magazines.