Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help : Digital Cable question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got digital cable installed today and it does not look any better than analog. The Motorola box that was installed has only a regular RCA type video output. I have a Sony XBR HD TV and want to use it's full capabilities like I do with DVD. Does Radio Shack or someone else have where you can convert one regular video plug to a component type 3 way plug? Thanks!
Old 12-28-01, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to say that's not a possible scenario. You can't convert to Component. You're stuck with either the RCA out standard video or S-Video (if it's part of the box you got)

This and MANY other reasons is why I HATE cable of any kind (Digital or analog). For example I called the other day to see what the latest price was for my parents on Digital cable with HBO package. The lady said it was over $57 per month! I told her they're crazy, that my fully loaded Directv set up that includes DD 5.1 and dozens more movie channels is $10 less per month. She begged that we try it and I told her it made no sense. Told dad to get a satellite instead.

Do yourself a favor and return/cancel cable, and investigate a nice HDTV satellite system..as long as you cn find a good spot for your dish to mount correctly.

Good luck!
Alfer
Old 12-28-01, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Time Warner digital package came with the Explorer 2000 box, which has coax digital output as well as coax and s-video video jacks.

Since I use an old Mitsubishi s-vhs vcr, all video cabling is done with s-video. Only the upper (movie) channels are digitally broadcast, and they are almost as good as dvd (significantly better than analog cable). The other channels are analog quality. Some of the HBO broadcasts are in DD.

My package, with Road Runner internet, is $101/month. We get a ton of channels, including 15 or so movie channels (Star, Encore, etc) plus 8 or so HBOs.

If all that were $10 less with satellite, I'd spend more than that to get local broadcast channels added. As much as I think it's overpriced, I'd probably pay $125 or more for it if I had to.

At any rate, if your converter box only has an RCA video out, it looks like you got shortchanged. I'd see if they had a step-up box you could swap.
Old 12-28-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the quick answers! This box also has no s video output and is the only choice from them I believe. I didn't know until it was too late that only the higher channels are digital broadcasts. I would buy a dish but local channels are not offered here and I don't want to put back up an ugly antenna and switch back and forth. I would call right back and have me switched back over to analog except for the first 3 months I am getting it for about the same price. As of now I also have access to all the movie channels, either by mistake or a 1 week deal to try and get me hooked. As soon as the movies end or the price goes up I willl switch back or look more into a dish. I have that $2000 TV that looks great with DVD but kind of sucks on most cable channels.
Old 12-28-01, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Help : Digital Cable question

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
... and it does not look any better than analog...
Cause it is analog. It's marketing thing. There maybe some digital content that the box decodes, displays and allows you to set reminders, etc, etc. But the viewing signal is regular analog. I dumped the digital after learning this and am saving a load each month. More DVDs!

BTW, RCA (Proscan, and others) decode and display the same "digital signal" programming schedual.