dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX Blood Wake sightings? Anyone?

Has it been released yet?
Old 12-28-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Word is it will be in stores on the 29th.
Try calling your local gamestore tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to this one too.
Old 12-29-01, 09:34 PM

I saw this in various stores today. Anyone pick this up yet?
Old 12-30-01, 10:57 PM

I picked it up yesterday. Plan on playing it tonight.
Old 12-31-01, 01:19 AM

I finally got a chance to play it tonight. All I can say is rent it before you buy it. I personally think it's another XBOX stinker. I think this will be the last game I'll be the test dummy on. First Obi Wan and now this. The graphics are o.k. but the game play sucks! The story mode is too easy and kind of boring. The controls are way too simple which make the multiplayer battles boring. Nothing really different about battles which really make it seem repititive quickly! Not much to this game. My suggestion is to pass. If you're really gung ho on buying it, like I said before, rent it first.
Old 12-31-01, 01:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Cyber, how does it compare with the Twisted Metal series?
Old 12-31-01, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Cyber, how does it compare with the Twisted Metal series?
I can't compare it since I'm not a twisted metal player.
Old 12-31-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on picking this up later in the week. From reading some user opinions on other boards, most people are saying great things about the game. Most have said its insanely difficult in 1 player mode, so not sure how far you got.
Old 12-31-01, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Cyberock
I finally got a chance to play it tonight. All I can say is rent it before you buy it. I personally think it's another XBOX stinker. I think this will be the last game I'll be the test dummy on. First Obi Wan and now this. The graphics are o.k. but the game play sucks! The story mode is too easy and kind of boring. The controls are way too simple which make the multiplayer battles boring. Nothing really different about battles which really make it seem repititive quickly! Not much to this game. My suggestion is to pass. If you're really gung ho on buying it, like I said before, rent it first.
Which difficulty setting did you play?
What are some of the game types in Battle Mode? For example, is there a Capture-the-Flag, Race, Domination? Or is it just Deatmatch?
What about the surround sound and bass?

Could you give us some feedback on these? Thanks.
Old 01-01-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
They had a bunch of copies at my local CompUSA in Birmingham. I think I am gonna wait for some more opinions before buying.
Old 01-02-02, 01:47 AM

There is a review up at teamxbox.com.
Old 01-02-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I saw it at EB last night, I think I may rent it first.
Old 01-02-02, 07:51 AM

Rent it first. It's a fun little game but it gets boring fairly quickly.
Old 01-04-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
IGN.com = 8.4 http://xbox.ign.com/reviews/16347.html
Teamxbox.com = 4/5 http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?id=232

My opinion -- kinda short and easy at first glance, not much to it, just kill everything or perform some basic tasks, but even in this, there's a lot of variety -- protect convoys, capture enemies, destroy shore structures, pick up special items, defend bases. Seriously, on the easiest difficulty session, most of the levels I was able to beat the first time through (though some were extremely close), but there have been certain levels that are teeth-grindingly difficult even on the easiest lvl. (lvl 8, 16, 22 in particular). I'm not sure how I'll be able to pass them in the higher diffs. Even so, you're given about 28 lvls and about 6 boats and 15+ varieties of boats for the single player missions. There are even more boats available for multiplayer (including enemy ships).

The downside IMO -- the sound isn't wonderful, especially for the weapons, and it doesn't use the rumble sticks as much as I'd like -- especially noticeable with the huge explosions. There are only 5 multiplayer arenas, and 2 of them must be unlocked through play. Some of the multiplayer game/ship/map options are only unlockable through beating levels on higher difficulty sessions = good replay value.

The AI is really good, and it can take some real strategy to lay down the whupass. Watch out for decoys and ambushes galore.

Incidentally, the water graphics are incredible and it really adds a whole new dimension to gameplay attempting to blast someone out of the water when you're shooting vertically off a wave.

my opinion, about 8/10.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-05-02, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
IGN.com = 8.4 http://xbox.ign.com/reviews/16347.html
Teamxbox.com = 4/5 http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?id=232

My opinion -- kinda short and easy at first glance, not much to it, just kill everything or perform some basic tasks, but even in this, there's a lot of variety -- protect convoys, capture enemies, destroy shore structures, pick up special items, defend bases. Seriously, on the easiest difficulty session, most of the levels I was able to beat the first time through (though some were extremely close), but there have been certain levels that are teeth-grindingly difficult even on the easiest lvl. (lvl 8, 16, 22 in particular). I'm not sure how I'll be able to pass them in the higher diffs. Even so, you're given about 28 lvls and about 6 boats and 15+ varieties of boats for the single player missions. There are even more boats available for multiplayer (including enemy ships).

The downside IMO -- the sound isn't wonderful, especially for the weapons, and it doesn't use the rumble sticks as much as I'd like -- especially noticeable with the huge explosions. There are only 5 multiplayer arenas, and 2 of them must be unlocked through play. Some of the multiplayer game/ship/map options are only unlockable through beating levels on higher difficulty sessions = good replay value.

The AI is really good, and it can take some real strategy to lay down the whupass. Watch out for decoys and ambushes galore.

Incidentally, the water graphics are incredible and it really adds a whole new dimension to gameplay attempting to blast someone out of the water when you're shooting vertically off a wave.

my opinion, about 8/10.

Tuan Jim
Looks like we have the same opinion about this game.
Especially with the rumble feedback. They need to kick this up a notch.
About the difficulty, the levels you mentioned are painstakingly difficult for me on the Captain level. I can't even imagine what it would be like on the Admiral difficulty setting. I don't think I'll even bother trying.

However, there is one correction. You're correct about the multiplayer having 5 maps to play, but you can unlock a lot more than 2 maps. It's more like 5 or 6 maps (can't remember the # off the top of my head). You can't play these maps in a game against bots. Instead, these maps are played one-on-one against a second (human) player.

Like I said above, I agree and also give this an 8/10.
Old 01-05-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
When I go into battlemode as a single player vs. bots, I only have 3 maps to play. The other two are still question marks. I'm up to lvl 26 on Ensign and haven't unlocked them yet. Nothing different showed up when i played against my friend (and the computer).

Also, I know the eel should technically be unlocked -- I played with it in single player, but it doesn't yet show up in multiplayer -- is that because it can only be unlocked in ensign? Just wondering.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-19-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
I got this game last week & really just delved into it in the past couple of days. I have really enjoyed it so far. I am only in the middle of Chapter 2 but I am having a blast.

It is so much fun blowing someone out of the water as the rush toward you & then fly over your head b/c your torpedo lauched them to heaven. I am playing on the Captain level & it is not too hard yet but I have yet to breeze thru any of the chapter levels so far. It is definitely worth a rent & if you like lots of vehicle carnage with awesome water effects...you may want to buy.