Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't Game Cube use the cubed symbol for marketing?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 02:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XBox has titles that have "X" in them (Tony Hawk 2X, etc), so why not GameCube using titles with the "^3" symbol thingy on them? For example, Star Fox^3 etc.? I think it'd be neat
Old 12-28-01, 04:05 AM

Because it sounds dumb? Personally I'm glad they're using original names/subtitles instead of the same suffix on every game like they did with N64. (Wave Race: Blue Storm sounds better than Wave Race Cubed IMO). But even if they did resort to using that type of naming, I would think they would use the noun "Cube" or "GameCube" instead of the verb "Cubed." After all, the game wouldn't be the product of multiplying Star Fox times Star Fox times Star Fox. It'd just be a suffix stating that it's the GameCube version of the game. Besides, I'm guessing the pun/double meaning wouldn't translate well into Japanese, so I don't think they'd bother.
Old 12-28-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad they stopped. I hated everything being 64. If it was really Mario 64 how did I miss most of the other 63 Mario games.
Old 12-28-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, you won't see too many XBox games with an "X" in them either. MS doesn't want all their games to be "insert title - X". There will be a few, but it's not like all their games will have X attached to them. Their trying to stay away from that. I forget exactly what their policy towards game titles is, but I know they discourage slapping an X on them. I hope Nintendo doesn't start sticking "Cubed" or whatever on their titles either. I like it when companies are more creative with their game titles.
Old 12-28-01, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What other games for the Xbox has an "X" in the title besides Tony Hawk 2x?

Personally I think it is retarded. The N64 games got annoying very quickly. Almost everything that Nintendo released had 64 in the title. Very, very dumb IMHO.
Old 12-28-01, 09:47 AM

Super Nintendo games had Super in the title.
Old 12-28-01, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe some people just aren't good at math and will mistake the ^3 for a "3" and think it's the Legend of Zelda 3.
Old 12-28-01, 11:29 AM

Around Orlando Universal Islands of Adventure had all these billboards for their rides saying Hulk^2 (squared), Spider^2, etc. I never understood what their point was and that's probably why Nintendo wouldn't do the cubed thing.

IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!!
Old 12-28-01, 11:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

Guys, next time tell me what you really think
Old 12-28-01, 12:38 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others said, that would be lame and get old quick just like the 64 on all the N64 first party games. I think the use of the cube in the commericials and magazine adds to show videos/pics of the games is all the "cube" marketing they need.
Old 12-28-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

man, I would get so SOOOO annoyed if they did the same thing they did w/ the 64. Starwars Cubed, Mario Cubed, Lugi Cubed.. ahhh the humanity!
Old 12-28-01, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Guys, next time tell me what you really think
Hahaha, hell yeah.
"C'mon now guys. Don't be so shy."

Actually, I can see where you're coming from. Lots of people like symbols and catch phrases. Many businesses in every industry use them to sell their products. However, I also agree that it can be annoying and most importantly (which was already stated earlier) the idea might not be apparent at first especially to the younger audience. Afterall "cubed", if I remember correctly, is a mathematical function in Algebra which is completely foreign to the younger audience (and some adults ).
Old 12-28-01, 04:31 PM

Actually, you won't see too many XBox games with an "X" in them either. MS doesn't want all their games to be "insert title - X". There will be a few, but it's not like all their games will have X attached to them. Their trying to stay away from that. I forget exactly what their policy towards game titles is, but I know they discourage slapping an X on them. I hope Nintendo doesn't start sticking "Cubed" or whatever on their titles either. I like it when companies are more creative with their game titles.

Ghym's right. There are requirements from MS not to do this with Xbox titles.

Things like X-Men and X-Files are allowed, but you won't see things like Super Adventure Pit Racer X when it denotes Xbox.

That's they way they want it.

-Naan
Old 12-28-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Super(TonyHawk)^3 * x

Like that????