Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

which xbox game to pick up next??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which xbox game to pick up next??

I only have halo but want to branch out. I don't like the fighting or sports games. I'm into the action/adventure/quest/rpg kind of stuff. Any suggestions what my second xbox title ought to be?? Max Payne maybe? Silent Hill 2 (I've never played any of this series but have enjoyed the RE series)? Obi-Wan? Or just wait a few weeks for a new release game??
Old 12-27-01, 01:54 PM

Next game I'm buying is Jet Set Radio Future. That's not 'til the mid-end of February. Great line-up Microsoft
Old 12-27-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Well, if you like action & adventure games, I would definitely check out Max Payne & Silent Hill. Those are the last two games I have bought in the past week & I have not been disappointed in either of them. Max Payne just kicks ass & Silent Hill is super-spooky!

I am a Star Wars fan but due to the luke-warm reviews of both Star-Fighter & Obi-Wan, I am going to wait on some price-drops for those two. (and I might not get them at all with some of the other games coming)
Old 12-27-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I vote for Silient Hill 2. I don't have an Xbox but I do have Silient Hill 2 for the PS2 and love it. The Xbox version is like the PS2 version but with 4-6 hours more gameplay and you can play as Maria. I know when I do get around to getting an Xbox, I will be getting this game. I've just got soooo many other games I want to finish before I take on the Xbox
Old 12-27-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mljones99
The Xbox version is like the PS2 version but with 4-6 hours more gameplay and you can play as Maria.
This is a very erroneous statement. Many reviews have said that the Maria part only lasts an hour at best, not the 4-6 that people like to throw around. SH2 is a very good game, but I would not pay $50 for 1 extra hour of gameplay when I already own the PS2 version.
Old 12-27-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

brianluvdvd - I agree with you 100% on the star wars titles for the xbox. I'm also gonna wait and see before I go dropping $50 on either of those two titles.

And because I don't own the PS2 nor the PS1, I have never played either of the Silent Hill games so this would be a first time buy for me My only concern with both SH2 and Max Payne is the length of each game. All reviews I've read (which aren't a lot, I prefer to hear from you guys ) say they are both pretty short games. Should I let that hinder me?
Old 12-27-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I would not let that hinder you. Just go for the game which sounds like you would enjoy the best. Neither Max nor Silent seems to have major replay value. Max would have more for me b/c you could just skip thru the cut scenes & shoot 'em up whenever you want to.

A lot of people complain about how short games are but I think some of that depends upon how good a gamer you are & how much time you have to play. Since I have tons of other stuff to do & I am not a good gamer, these games take me awhile to finish no matter how much actual play-time people say there is.
Old 12-27-01, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox

This is a very erroneous statement. Many reviews have said that the Maria part only lasts an hour at best, not the 4-6 that people like to throw around. SH2 is a very good game, but I would not pay $50 for 1 extra hour of gameplay when I already own the PS2 version.

Well, a guy at work said that he used her for about 4 hours so I would assume the 4-6 hours is right on. I'm going by what other people have said about it that I presonally know.
Old 12-27-01, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,804 Likes on 1,127 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My only game is HALO and I want to branch out. I know Halo will last me a long time because I can only play in short sessions(30 to 40 minutes). HALO is alotta fun.

That game with the Blue guy looks cools AS--something...
Old 12-27-01, 11:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Blood Wake is sposed to be out this week, looks pretty cool. UFC Tapout should be out pretty soon too. NFL 2k2 is out the 15th, can't wait to see how well Sega ports it.
Old 12-28-01, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Here's what I have and my score for them out of 10:

Halo - 9
Amped - 8
Project Gotham Racing - 8
Dark Summit - 7
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X - 9
Silent Hill 2 - 9

(10 being the highest score for a console game - GTA3 gets a 9.5 and Warlords for the Atari 2600 gets a 10)
Old 12-28-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
and Warlords for the Atari 2600 gets a 10)
Warlords...now how many paddles did I break playing that game?!? Ah, memories!
Old 12-28-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would go w/ Max Payne, you should really like that game.
Old 12-28-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second for Bloodwake.

It looks pretty cool if you're into that Twisted Metal kind of game. I'm hoping it turns out to be good, because I plan to buy it right when it comes out. Anyone know if there are any reviews out for it yet?
Old 12-28-01, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by mljones99
Well, a guy at work said that he used her for about 4 hours so I would assume the 4-6 hours is right on. I'm going by what other people have said about it that I presonally know.
Maybe the guy at work just really, really sucked?
Old 12-28-01, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox
SH2 is a very good game, but I would not pay $50 for 1 extra hour of gameplay when I already own the PS2 version.
I don't know anyone in their right mind that would pay $50 for an extra hour of gameplay, regardless, I don't think this game is aimed at people who have already played Silent Hill 2.

As for the next game on my list, I'm really looking forward to Bloodwake. The game has a battle mode with bots so there's definitely some replay value there.

Click here for more info: Official Bloodwake website.
Old 12-29-01, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
That game with the Blue guy looks cools AS--something...
That game is called Asurik: Rise of Perathia

And if you like RPGs then this one is for you, I am really enjoying this game so far. Probably played a total of 10-12 hours so far, and it is amazing. The graphics, the fighting, etc.. You have to find keys and get certain aspects of a water, earth, fire, air and death realm back to 'normal'. From what they say on the boards I have been reading is that there is about 60-75 hours of gameplay here...

There are some reviews on it here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/review/32765.html

Cheats:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/code/32765.html

Message Board
http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.asp?board=32765

Last edited by theedge; 12-29-01 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-29-01, 04:29 AM

A score of 5.0 from Gamespot and 6.5 from IGN mean I'll be staying away from Azurik. Bewaaaareeee!!!

Old 12-29-01, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ratings for everything are the same.. movies, music and games can get lower scores but that is based on some people not all, fans of RPG would probably like Azurik, I think it kicks ass myself.

It takes awhile and is involved, not something you can beat in 5 hours or so, it takes patience and exploring skills, something not everyone can handle.