Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone impressed by Gamecubes upcoming lineup?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 01:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to bash anyone here but I was looking over the Gamecube release schedule and am searching for a reason to grab a cube. I have a PS2 and will eventually get all three major consoles but the lineup looks really, really weak. Any comments would be appreciated regarding what titles you are excited about!

Thanks
Dchad
Old 12-27-01, 01:55 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I've got Rogue Leader, Super Smash Bros: Melee, Super Monkey Ball, Tony Hawk 3, Madden 2002, and Wave Race: Blue Storm keeping me busy for now, and the next couple months.

As for the upcoming line-up, I'll probably get either NBA Courtside or NBA2K2, Eternal Darkness, and Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, all in first quarter 2002. After that the Resident Evil games will start coming out, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Metroid, etc. should all be out by the end of the year. Plus I'm sure I'm forgetting some games, and many games will be announced at E3 that will be out by the end of the year.

I'm quite happy with the line-up, it's the best of the three next-gen systems IMO, with the PS2 in a close second. On PS2 I'd like to play GT3, Devil May Cry, MGS2, and FFX. On the X-box Halo is the only exclusive game, out or announced, that remotely interests me, and it's not a "must-have" for me as I'm not a big FPS fan.

What you have to do is just look at the exclusive games, out and announced, for each system, and buy the one that has the most you want to play. Everyone has different tastes.
Old 12-27-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=168254

Take a look at that thread...there are a lot of reasons to get excited about the cube...
Old 12-27-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are good reasons to pick up all 3 systems right now. You're entering into the "dead zone" as I like to call it. It's where little to no high profile games come out and usually happens in-between the holidays up to May of the next year. The "dead zone" now should clear up around February. Anyway, here are the reasons to have each system (whether you get one, two or all)

X-Box: Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Max Payne, Madden 2002, Tony Hawk 2x, etc.

PS2: MGS2, FFX, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto 3, Ico, Gran Turismo 3, Madden 2002, NCAA 2002, Tony Hawk 3, etc.

GameCube: Pikmin, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Rogue Squadron, Super Monkey Ball, Madden 2002, Tony Hawk 3 and maybe Luigi's Mansion.

Upcoming games that are promising on each console currently coming out earlier than May of next year

X-Box: Morrowind, Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie, UFC Tapout, Shenmue 2, etc.

PS2: Maximo, NBA2K2, State of Emergency, Run Like Hell, Virtua Fighter 4, etc.

GameCube: Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, Eternal Darkness, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, WWF Wrestlemania.

Granted, the GC does not have big name games coming, but by the end of next year there should at least be a Mario game on the market and possibly the new Zelda and Metroid. as well.

All the systems are good and the true winner is the gamer. No system is a bad choice at this point. Now it's up to the first, second and third-party developers to get top-notch games for each system done. The PS2 is currently well ahead in this, we shall see how the other 2 do.
Old 12-27-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the upcoming line up for the cube is not all the impressive to me (until enternal darkness maybe) but i bought a cube for the games that are out right now. I play a lot of puzzle,fighting and off the wall games and the current titles (super monkey ball, pikmin, SSB:M)
were too tantizling(i know i can spell) for me not to pick up a cube
i have an xbox, ps2 and dc to appease my other gaming habits. it really depends on what kind of games you play
Old 12-27-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i got super monkey ball, ssb:m and luigis mansion keeping me busy now (along with a few ps2 and shenmue II for the DC) but there are alot games coming out for the GC in the next year or so that I am looking forward to.... metroid, mario, zelda, eternal darkness, wwf wrestlemania, the entire resident evil series!!, etc.. ther are more but I can't think of them
Old 12-27-01, 02:11 PM
Banned

Nope.

Hence I got my PS2 with GT3, GTA3, THPS3, SSX Tricky, MGS2 and NBA Street. I'll be busy for the nest 15 months.

By then, the GC lineup will be good (I'm assuming) and the price of the GC may hit $150. But for now, the GC ain't anything special.
Old 12-27-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just ordered a gamecube bundle with Smash Brothers and Star Wars with my extra holiday cash. Also gonna pick up Super Monkey ball and maybe another game next week probably Madden. Im looking forward to this coming year for NES. the new WWF game is coming. The reason i still have a N64 for is for the WWF games and bond. Also bond is coming out for GC as well as a mario, metroid and Zelda.

Capt
Old 12-27-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Both Starfox and Eternal Darkness have been in development since the N64. Many years have gone into these two games, by very talanted devleopers. They come out in March and Feb. respectivly. If they arn't worth getting excited over I don't know what is.

Meanwhile they will be plenty of other titles available that are just as good or better then most PS2 or Xbox offerings. A game of particular interest to me is the new exclusive visual concepts soccer frenzy game. There will probally be plenty of other unannounced titles coming soon as well. not to mention what capcom has hidden away.

I am a pretty dedicated gamer, and have always enjoyed my Nintendo consoles. Yes, occasionally I have to wait for Nintendo's awesome exclusive gameplay packed titles. So what? I would rather wait a while in be in pure gaming bliss then play a game that is just a shallow imitation of another developer inovation.

The truth is, when you look at PS2 and Xbox, you may get more games, but you still end up waiting for the true hit titles. It's not like you do have a smash hit coming out every week. And one thing is for certain, they don't have the games I want, the Nintendo games.

I have a PSX /PS1, I have a dreamcast. I won a xbox, so I have that too. But with few exceptions its always the Nintendo titles that engulf me.

The above is just one man's opinions mixed in with some facts.