Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone An Expert On ColecoVision?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone An Expert On ColecoVision?

I recently purchased a used ColecoVision system. I had no guarantee that it worked, but the main unit itself seems to be in excellent condition with signs of little use. It did not come with the RF convertor, but it did come with the generic RCA cord that connects the system to the RF convertor.

I thought that I should be able to get a picture w/no sound my patching the RCA directly into a video input on my TV. When I tried this I got nothing.

Am I right in assuming that I should at least get a picture plugging the RCA from the unit directly into the video input w/o using a RF convertor? If so, I'm guessing that the power supply might be bad.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-27-01, 11:17 AM

No, you will not get a picture hooking up your CV that way. Your best bet is to pick up a videogame RF switch-box at Radio Shack. They make one with a coax connector and a pass-through for about $6 or $7. Connect the cable that came with your system to the switch-box. This setup works great for me.

Good luck!

Gary
Old 12-27-01, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Pitchman
No, you will not get a picture hooking up your CV that way. Your best bet is to pick up a videogame RF switch-box at Radio Shack. They make one with a coax connector and a pass-through for about $6 or $7. Connect the cable that came with your system to the switch-box. This setup works great for me.

Good luck!

Gary
Not that I doubt Pitchman's expertise, but before I go shopping at RS is this the consensus?
Old 12-27-01, 04:36 PM

jpalm, I still have the original ColecoVision I bought back in 1982, along with an Atari 2600 module, a Steering Wheel, a Roller Controller and a pair of Super Action Controllers. In addition, I have around 100 cartridges (in boxes w/instructions and overlays) and several third party accessories like Amiga PowerSticks.

I have tried what you are suggesting and trust me, unless you do a board mod, your CV signal has to go through a switchbox (with your tuner set to channel 3 or 4) to display on a tv.

The Radio Shack part number for the switchbox you need is 15-1268A. You may want to upgrade your RCA cable, too. I picked up a Radio Shack shielded 12-foot cable with gold RCA connectors and it greatly improved my CV display. No, I don't work for RS (and truth be told, am not a great fan of theirs), but for some items like this, you can usually find what you need.

Cheers!

Gary
Old 12-27-01, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Pitchman
jpalm, I still have the original ColecoVision I bought back in 1982, along with an Atari 2600 module, a Steering Wheel, a Roller Controller and a pair of Super Action Controllers. In addition, I have around 100 cartridges (in boxes w/instructions and overlays) and several third party accessories like Amiga PowerSticks.

I have tried what you are suggesting and trust me, unless you do a board mod, your CV signal has to go through a switchbox (with your tuner set to channel 3 or 4) to display on a tv.

The Radio Shack part number for the switchbox you need is 15-1268A. You may want to upgrade your RCA cable, too. I picked up a Radio Shack shielded 12-foot cable with gold RCA connectors and it greatly improved my CV display. No, I don't work for RS (and truth be told, am not a great fan of theirs), but for some items like this, you can usually find what you need.

Cheers!

Gary
Thanks Gary....I actually went out and bought one on my lunch hour. I figured if it didn't work I could just return it. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how things worked out. I'm just so damn anxious to play a CV again...I hope it isn't a bad power supply.
Old 12-27-01, 05:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by jpalm

Not that I doubt Pitchman's expertise, but before I go shopping at RS is this the consensus?
Yeah, it'll work. i actually had to use an RF switch/modulator (yep, it was from radio shack too) for my DVD player b/c i had a crappy little tv to begin with.

--HN
Old 12-28-01, 09:08 AM

Hooked it up last night and it worked. Played a little Defender, Zaxxon, and Squesh'em Sam for starters. Whoever said the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 is so great has no idea what they are missing.
Old 12-28-01, 09:28 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by jpalm
Hooked it up last night and it worked. Played a little Defender, Zaxxon, and Squesh'em Sam for starters. Whoever said the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 is so great has no idea what they are missing.
They have Coleco for Dreamcast
Old 12-28-01, 02:26 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent over the years playing Montezuma's Revenge, Miner 2049er, Ladybug, Frenzy, Venture, etc, etc...

Gary