Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I Need a 4:3 HDTV for at or under $2000

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I need help finding a good deal on a 4:3 HDTV for at or under 2k. I would prefer a tv between 43-51 inches. (No RCA, UltraVision, or Sharp) He doesn't want a 16:9, he probably will only watch dvd's less than 50% of the time, and just doesn't like the wide screen look. (i tried )

My father is building a HT room and needs a nice tv. He is doing it in stages, so decent internal speakers would be nice until he gets a 5.1 or 6.1 setup. I showed him a few different models. *I* have been shopping around for one, and I like the Toshiba 43HX71, 43H70, 43H71 (that whole family of tv's) There also is a Toshiba 51 or 53 4:3 that is around 2k that looks really nice.

On a side note, what is the difference between the 43HX71 and the 43h71?

Any help or suggestions would be great. I have a very good grasp on everything, so be as technical as you'd like. (Referring to ghosting problems, Chroma, etc)

I would like to find him the best deal shipped to his door. I hope everyone is having a great holiday. He would like to order one in the next couple of weeks. He would also like to order a 5 disk DVD player, as mentioned below.

-pedagogue

ps. He is looking for a 5 disk DVD/CD player for a spare room. The main function will be for music, so is there a brand that has the best sound for CD's? I've heard HK's are nice for CD's. Also, he will eventually need a Prog scan. dvd player for the HT room, single disk is fine. I have heard ALOT about (i think this is the model number) the p56. Any good deals on it now? Or another nice prog. scan. (He just needs a decent one, preferable
Old 12-27-01, 09:01 PM

A lot of people on other HT forums rave about the Sony 4:3 HDTV monitors...links below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

plus I see BB offers free shipping.

Good luck

Alfer
Old 12-27-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the samsungs. See if you can find one of last years. The are only DTV 480P not 1080i.
Old 12-28-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you for the replies so far....anyone else have any good suggestions?

-pedagogue
Old 12-28-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a 55" Toshiba 4:3 HDTV. The only television I've seen that I like the picture better on is my brother-in-law's 16:9 Pioneer -- but his television was supposed to cost twice what mine did. I've been extremely happy with my Toshiba. Best Buy should be having deals sometime soon on the HDTVs, and they'll ship directly to your house.

Of course, you could do what my brother-in-law did and get a part time job at Best Buy just to buy HT equipment. That Pioneer he bought was supposed to be almost $5000, and he picked it up for just under $3000.
Old 12-28-01, 09:22 PM

Are you looking for a direct-view set or a rear-projection set?
Ali