Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Planet's service?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Planet's service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Planet's service?

How have your experiences with DVD Planet been? Lately, with the $5 off and $10 off coupons they've been giving, and with the Criterion sale they're having, I could save quite a few dollars. How is their customer service, shipping times, etc.? How long does it usually take them to process an order? Thanks.
Old 12-26-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had pretty good service myself. I have received several orders in only a few days; First Class is the default, but most of my stuff was sent Priority. Only problem I had with an order was a missing dvd. Someone must've forgotten to pack it. A phone call took care of it.
Old 12-26-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVD Planet's service?

Excellent customer service, in-stock items usually ship in 24 hours. Shipping default is either first class mail or Priority Mail depending upon the number of discs. Discs are well packed in cardboard boxes. Pre-orders are always 30% off and ship usually the Thursday or Friday before the street date.

I live a couple of states away and usually get my order in 2 days-item ships on Friday...receive it Monday. Their customer service is easy to get a hold of and very helpful.

I hate to say it, but I've been using most of the coupons I won playing the Pumpkin and Christmas games. Bad for the wallet, good for the DVD collection.

Last edited by nekobus; 12-26-01 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 08:46 AM
Suspended

I've purchased from DVDPlanet seven times, all without problem. In my experience items have shipped within 48 hours.
Old 12-26-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been ordering lasers and DVD's from DVDPlanet (AKA Ken Crane's) for the last 6 years or so, and never had a complaint. Tyhey ship fast, have great prices and selection and have excellent telephone customer service.
Old 12-26-01, 11:17 AM

The service is great and the delivery is ultra quick. Items packed in sturdy cardboard. The only glitch is that you have to pay shipping on returns, but I guess most online dealers either have this policy or considerably higher prices. Out of about 50 Criterion discs I've ordered, I have received 2 that were damaged because the disc came off the spindle. Not too bad of an average.
Old 12-27-01, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to pre-order a DVD from DVD Planet, but when I go to checkout, a message pops up saying that I have an item that is either on back order or pre-order and that I may be charged additional shipping charges. The DVD I'm ordering is on pre-order, but I checked their Help section and the only mention of an additional shipping charge is for a backorder. What's going on? Am I going to get charged extra for a pre-order?
Old 12-27-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you are seeing is the generic message that pops up whenever you are ordering something that isn't "in stock". The way DVDPlanet handles orders is they will ship all in stock items, and then ship the others separately (charging shipping as if these were 2 different orders). If you have any backorders or preorders, they will ship when they are available and have a $2.50 shipping charge (plus $.50 each add'l disc) for each shipment.

Everyone (including me) seems to hope that one day DVDPlanet will add a "Ship All Items Together" option to avoid this issue, but for now, preorders and backorders ship separately.

(And, to answer the thread question -- I've been ordering from DVDPlanet/Ken Cranes for 10 years now and have always had great service. Whenever there has been a problem, it has always been straightened out quickly and easily.)
Old 12-27-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So when I get an invoice, that means it's shipped, correct?
Old 12-27-01, 03:33 PM

Probably. If you want to check your order status, go to the web site, log in, and click Order Status under Customer Service in the lower left corner of the Home page. This will bring up a list of ALL your orders. Click the one you want to check. If the item has shipped it will list a shipping date and a tracking number.
Old 12-27-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dwmann

Probably. If you want to check your order status, go to the web site, log in, and click Order Status under Customer Service in the lower left corner of the Home page. This will bring up a list of ALL your orders. Click the one you want to check. If the item has shipped it will list a shipping date and a tracking number.
Thanks.
Old 12-27-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spike Jonze
The invoice often comes first. They will send you a separate email when you item ships. It will list your order items and the shipping method used.