Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

MY Tosh 3109 just died. :(

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-01, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to play a CD, most likely a CD-R. It said "No Disc"....okay, I played the disc on my LD player, no problem.

Today I put in a movie, and it said "No Disc"...tried another movie. Same thing. And another.

It loads for a long time before giving up.

Any ideas?

Time for a new player?

*sob* it was so young and multitalented.
Old 12-19-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try unplugging it for a few minutes (or longer), then plugging it back in?

Have you ever had success playing CDRs in the 3109? Or was this just a lapse in judgement?
Old 12-20-01, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 3109 never played cd-r's or cd-rw's. It would spin for a while and give a no disc error.

Every once in a while it will not recognize a disc I put in, but simply opening and reseating the disc has always corrected the problem.

Another thing I've noticed is that some disc give problems in tray 2 yet work perfectly in tray 1. It makes no sense but it is fairly consistent so it may be some problem with the mechanism.
Old 12-20-01, 09:45 AM
Cool New Member

Same here, I've never been able to play CD-R's on my 3109...
Old 12-21-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no cd-r playing here either. i've never had any problems playing any dvd's or cd's in either of the trays.
Old 12-21-01, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried everything. Different DVDs. Different trays. I pulled the plug and waited and still...it is not reading any discs now. Crap.

Maybe...I need to get a Panasonic RP56.
Old 12-21-01, 05:42 PM

Ebay it..

MAy it rest in peace, and good luck selling it at auction!
Old 12-22-01, 12:08 AM

My Toshiba SD3109 and SD2200 will both play Princo branded silver/blue CD-Rs fine. I understand that others too have had some measure of success with this particular brand of CD-R media.
Old 12-22-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RandyC,

Why the Panny over the Sony 700P???

http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-63...9-1304-6899338

Sony has had fewer firmware issues and now handles cd-r and cd-rw...
Old 12-23-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by matchpenalty
RandyC,

Hmm...I will check into it! Thanks.
Old 12-23-01, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matchpenalty
RandyC,

Can you say Chroma Red Error on this player. There are only a few players that don't have this problem.....
Panasonic RP-91K is one of them.....
Old 12-27-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I opened up the 3109 to check for the obvious stuff like a loose cable or something I could see.

The only thing I see that is apparent is that the DVD is not spinning. Everything else seems to work as it is supposed to, but the DVD just sits there.

I bought the Panasonic RP-56 last night.

Now what does one do with an old dead DVD player? Shame to just toss these things, but does anyone bother to repair them?
Old 12-27-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by randyc
Now what does one do with an old dead DVD player? Shame to just toss these things, but does anyone bother to repair them?
Maybe you can donate it to a tech vocational school in your area and get a tax write off or something. I have done that with a couple of vcrs and a 50"projection tv. I got it for 50% ($1200) about 10 years ago. Finally after 5 years it died on me. Got a estimate and it would of cost about $500-$600 to fix. I said the hell with it and had the school come pick it up.

On a side note I brought one of the first SD-3109's when they first came out. After a couple of years I started having problems playing some of the newer dvds. I had a early version of the firmware and was not about to ship it to Georgia & back for a firmware upgrade. I just ended up sending it to a woman friend and her family in Minnesota as a gift. She does a lot of running around for me and my mom buying me dvds with the $900 in best buy gift cards I had and barbies for my mom from target. They are not collectors of dvds except for certain dvds for their kids but they also reant a lot from their public library and local BB. They said they have had very few problems with it. I also have a SD-2109 that was been sitting away in the closet. Tried giving it away to a couple of local women friends here but they turned it down.

Kahuna

Last edited by kahuna; 12-27-01 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-27-01, 03:46 PM
Uber Member

FYI, the local Toshiba shop (Hawaii) says it does firmware upgrades in house now. I think they said it was about $32 plus parts.

My 3109 is still going strong after 2+ years. I need to upgrade the firmware, but I'm thinking of getting a Malata soon and my wife wants a DVD/VCR combo unit for the bedroom.

Sorry to hear about your player Randy. Hope the new Panny's working out for you.

-David
Old 12-27-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
FYI, the local Toshiba shop (Hawaii) says it does firmware upgrades in house now. I think they said it was about $32 plus parts.

My 3109 is still going strong after 2+ years. I need to upgrade the firmware, but I'm thinking of getting a Malata soon and my wife wants a DVD/VCR combo unit for the bedroom.

-David
I think we brought our 3109's about the same time. I did call Toshiba Hawaii at the time and as you know they did not do in house firmware upgrades at that time. They would of shipped it for me to Georgia and back of course at my cost but I decided just to give it away.

I have serious thought about getting a Malata but since the only other dvds I buy are from Korea and are sometimes Region 3. I picked up a Sampo DVE-611 ($150) and also a Daewoo DVG-5000N dvd player from our local Sam's for $105. Both are region free and the Daewoo is also macrovision free. I prefer the Daewoo over the Sampo. That makes 3 dvd players I have counting the Pioneer Dv-333. Might pick up a 2nd Daewoo either the 9000N (progressive scan) or the 5700 model and sale the Sampo.

Isn't the only company that makes those dual vcr/dvd units Go-Video. I like there dual vcr decks but I have heard many bad things about the dual vcr/dvd units.

Kahuna
Old 12-27-01, 07:28 PM

I've never been quite able to understand why dvd players seem to have such a short life span. I bought a Toshiba 2109 about three years ago and have had no problems. I consider myself lucky. I've also watched a fair amount of movies on it.

It will probably break now.
Old 12-28-01, 06:53 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by kahuna
I have serious thought about getting a Malata....

Isn't the only company that makes those dual vcr/dvd units Go-Video. I like there dual vcr decks but I have heard many bad things about the dual vcr/dvd units.

Kahuna
We want to get Friends on DVD and we're tired of waiting for the syndication contracts to run out. I think they're only available in Region 2 and 4 which are PAL. It's also nice that it's a progressive player.

Yes, I think Go Video is the only one, and I've heard bad things too. I think they have a newer model out, and I'm hoping that that one's a little better. It's just very convenient as the TV is on a wall mount and there's an attachment to hold a VCR underneath it. Putting in another piece of equipment wouldn't be as neat as an all in one solution. But we'll see.

-David
Old 12-29-01, 12:04 AM

My Go-Video DVR5000 has played DVDs flawlessly for over a year now. I bought it because my vcr died and I thought why not get both VHS and DVD in one unit. Has worked well for me since I am now a DVD addict. Player has mp3 capabilities plus it has a Dolby Digital decoder built in.

BTW Panasonic and Samsung make combo players now too.
Old 12-29-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phillips also makes VCR/DVD combo units. I set one up for my grandmother that she received as a Christmas present. It actually looked like a pretty sturdy machine. And the remote was pretty decent, too.