Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Moulin Rouge review

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-01, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moulin Rouge review

Do I have to drop acid to enjoy this film? I watched about 1/2 of it last night and I'm a bit confused. Is THIS the film that got all the summer acclaim? I'm a bit disappointed. Oh well.
Old 12-19-01, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moulin Rouge owns! Now kneel to your new master!

Hee Hee

I rather enjoyed it. Funny, and good music. What more could you want?
Old 12-20-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess you just have to take it for what it is. I'll give the film credit for being original, but the hype is a bit much. This one has rental written all over it. I did find the second hour to be slightly better than the first (less music, more story) so you might want to give it a chance.....I really tried but it's just not that good.

Last edited by JaxComet; 12-20-01 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-20-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not only did it get hype, it also scored BIG in Golden Globe nods!!

Best Picture musical /comedy
Best Director
Best Actress
Best Actor
Best Song
Best Score

Amazing!

MATT
Old 12-24-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed the movie...It's a bit overdramatized, but colorful and interesting. Of course i also cried bloody tears in the end, but then i'm a girl.
It's definitely a chick flick.
Old 12-26-01, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to see Moulin Rouge when it first came out, along with a few buddies of mine. And we all really hated it.
But, by reading the posts, I see that many (if not most) people love it. So I guess it's the kind of movie that you either love or hate.
Old 01-02-02, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

i watched it early at new years eve and i really didn't like it. I don't know my brother and his wife did. So it's your choice if you buy it but i would rent it first. It's VERRY DIFFRENT !!!!!!

Last edited by MovieMan11779; 01-03-02 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-02-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not one for sappy chick flicks, but I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!! This was one of the best movies I've seen all year, hands down!!!!!!
Old 01-02-02, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

Moulin Rouge Deserves It's Acclaim

If this film doesn't take Best Picture at the Oscars, then the system is broken beyond repair.

The first time I saw this film at the theater, I caught myself leaning forward off the edge of myself, slack-jawed, a big, stupid grin spread across my face. I was (and am) in awe of Baz Luhrman's balls. Whether you can handle it or not, he has created a film unlike any you have ever seen.

It's difficult to describe the film because there's nothing else even remotely like it. Wild farce, high tragedy, hallucinogenic visuals, music swiped from all eras and genres, cartoon slapstick, fantasy creatures and historical figures! All of these elements have been thrown into the mix and whipped into a mesmerizing musical frenzy. Love it or hate it, it's the most original film of the year.

Those who dislike this film, I think, are missing the point. "Moulin Rouge" is a film that you simply have to surrender to if you're going to enjoy it. The story is both simplistic and mythic, so you needn't worry yourself about the plot. The key is to turn it on, crank it up and let it carry you away.

Save your cynicism for some other film; there's no room for it in "Moulin Rouge". Luhrman and Co. have gone too far down the road of whimsy to be bothered with anyone who demands to understand. :-)

Last edited by cirhsein; 01-02-02 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-03-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Oscars are worthless already, but if Moulin Rouge gets a Best Picture nom, then it's beyond repair.

People who consider it "most original of the year" obviously haven't watched many films this year. "Songs from the Second Floor" - that's original. "Tuvalu" - that's original. But Moulin Rouge? It's only original if you consider that:

1) the actors can't sing
2) the cheeziest ballads of all time are sung by these actors who can't sing.
3) horrible dialogues are lifted from the cheeziest ballads of all time that these actors are forced to sing.
4) the screenwriters decided that since the dialogues are all cliches from bad ballads, the plot should reflect this lack of quality as well. So, alas, the plot is similarly hackneyed and unoriginal.
4) meanwhile, the whole film is made up of micro-second cuts - a technique borrowed from that oh-so-esteemed director Michael Bay.
5) added to these micro-second cuts is the camera, which is flying about non-stop, making it impossible to see what the heck is going on in most scenes while inducing motion sickness upon viewers.

The only elements that redeem it are the art direction, production design, and costumes. But you couldn't make any of these things out of the blur of swinging camera shots and split-second cuts anyway.

So what does this all of this mess equal? Well, if all of these elements constitute being "risk-taking" and "audacious", then heck, Freddy Got Fingered must be just as risky too! After all, that film is filled with incredibly bad ideas as well (letting Tom Green direct, letting Tom Green *star* in a film he directs, letting Tom Green get anywhere *close* to being able to make and star in his own film, etc).

If I "lose" myself in the film, I would surely lose my lunch. No thanks, the first time was bad enough.
Old 01-06-02, 11:12 PM

so...what is this movie about?

Great...so, the freakin curtain opens and everyone sings? I haven't heard one good description yet! Is this movie just one similar to memento where everyone describes it a bit differently...
And if so many people loved it..what did they love????? Please don't let the answer be "the colors" b/c i can go buy a box of crayons if i want colors...aren't most movies in color nowadays anyway? Is there a story? Is this just a broadway wannabe musical or is this a movie with a plot...a story...some direction....I know there has to be something that is going to make me want to rent this movie...but if i rent it and feel instantly warped into a delussional state of bad alcohol and an overdose of percacets and acid i am going to wish i rented "Fear in Loathing"...at least that makes me laugh///
Old 01-13-02, 02:17 AM

Just rented this...liked the first 45 minutes so much that I thought I'd end up buying it. It really is one of the weirdest movies ever released by a major studio. Over the next hour, I got so sick and tired of it that I didn't even watch the last 30 minutes or so. Overall, thumbs down.
Old 01-13-02, 12:23 PM

Re: so...what is this movie about?

Originally posted by rwolhar
Great...so, the freakin curtain opens and everyone sings? I haven't heard one good description yet! Is this movie just one similar to memento where everyone describes it a bit differently...
And if so many people loved it..what did they love????? Please don't let the answer be "the colors" b/c i can go buy a box of crayons if i want colors...aren't most movies in color nowadays anyway? Is there a story? Is this just a broadway wannabe musical or is this a movie with a plot...a story...some direction....I know there has to be something that is going to make me want to rent this movie...but if i rent it and feel instantly warped into a delussional state of bad alcohol and an overdose of percacets and acid i am going to wish i rented "Fear in Loathing"...at least that makes me laugh///
I think the greatest thing about this movie is the sheer energy it exudes. It really is an exciting piece of work, the likes of which I've never seen before. I disagree with people who compare the fast editing of Moulin Rouge to films by directors such as Michael Bay. The lightning-quick editing in this movie directly serves the story, rather than seeming like a mindless attempt to keep all of us "A.D.D.-inflicted modern moviegoers" interested.
I, for one, had no trouble at all understanding what was going on.
As far as the singing goes, I'll admit that Ewan McGregor (sp??) was just decent, but Nicole Kidman was quite amazing, IMHO.
Old 01-13-02, 01:23 PM
Suspended

I think its interesting that those who hate it, hate for the same reasons others love it.
Old 01-13-02, 09:29 PM

Hated it. The directors needs to go back and take Basic Editing 101.
Old 01-14-02, 12:32 PM

From Slapstick to Pathos

My problem was the wide swings in emotion this movie went through.

It's quite an art to be able to pull this off (See MASH--TV series) but this movie doesn't.

Slight spoiler:
Spoiler:
I ended up laughing at the supposedly tragic conclusion.

TIM
Old 01-14-02, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by revolver
Hated it. The directors needs to go back and take Basic Editing 101.
Could you explain this?
As I wrote above, I happen to think that the editing was very clever and worked precisely in the way it was supposed to work in serving the actual story and mood of various scenes.
Old 01-14-02, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
I think its interesting that those who hate it, hate for the same reasons others love it.
I hated it because it tried (and accomplished with many) to fool you into thinking it was original and unique. I love original, underground, unique films. I am not a big fan of Hollywood. I hated this movie, because it was crap. Poorly acted and a horrible storyline. It does look nice, if that's your thing. Also, I really don't care what awards it's up for, as most of what wins awards is crap anyway (like Titanic or Gladiator). If you do like the movie, you will like the DVD as I hear there are many extras.

Should you want to see a GREAT "new-style" musical, check out Dancer In the Dark. A far superior effort.
Old 01-15-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved, loved, loved it!

And, as a rule, I loathe musicals.

I loved it for the simple reason that it was the one film this year to make the hairs on the back of my neck rise - not in fear or due to intense emotional investment (that honor goes to Lord of the Rings) - but in pure unadulterated joy. The moment Ewan breaks into "Pride (In the Name of Love)" during the Elephant Love Medley. The moment Toulouse slowly, sadly, drunkenly sings: "how wonderful life is . . . while you're in the world." The moment where Ewan lets loose with the Sound of Music during the "pway in Switzwerwand." The simultaneously haunting and menacing quality to the Bollywood final production. Ozzy providing the voice of the green fairy. God there are so many perfect, perfect moments in this film.

Just rent it first. Turn out all the lights and surrender to the music. Shut down the left side of your brain and just let the giddiness of the whole thing take over. It's a dramatized "silly love song."

And what's wrong with that?

Old 01-16-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought this yesterday and couldn't go on after the first 30 minutes. I kept thinking how if someone was there with me or I was in the theatre that I would be looking over at them with a "What the F?" kind of expression.

Anyway, the subtitles kept coming on for some strange reason, too. I would check the settings every time and they were always turned off. Then it would be ok for awhile and then come back on again. I'm not sure which was more annoying - that or the movie itself. Anyway, I'll be taking it back for being "defective" and promptly getting a new movie.
Old 01-16-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too was very skeptical about this movie...mainly because of all the hype. My fiance borrowed it from one of her co-workers who hated it. I had just brought home my new copy of Tombstone SE and was about to play it...then she said "Hey, we need to watch Moulin Rouge because I am taking it back to my coworker tomorrow." So, I sneered and said "oh, ok fine...we'll watch the damn movie." I had already prejudged the movie in my mind to be a very crappy flick.

After the first 30 minutes I was completely blown away. In fact I was probably more into the movie than my fiance was. I was laughing like crazy, loving the imagery, and loving the overall message of the movie. It had a Peter Pan feel to it, if you ask me. It just picked me up and carried me away, and I even liked the singing...so sue me. I'm still not done watching it, but I can't wait to get home to finish watching the rest.

I guess I am just a forgiving viewer with an open mind. I loved the movie, and I plan on buying it today.

I can't see how so many people can love the Evil Dead series, and can't see the point of liking a movie like this...the same goes for just about any "cult" or "pop" movie.

Watch the movie with an open mind. That doesn't mean to turn your brain off.....just enjoy it and if you can't enjoy it then don't watch it.

JC
Old 01-16-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Absolutely amazing. This movie represents a classic example of the so-called European style "cancan-musicals", of course in quite loose interpretation. If you have not seen one, I recommend you do some investigating and look into the traditional French and Italian cinema from around the 1950-65.

Now going back to the statement that the movie does not possess any values-Absolutely wrong. In fact, the cinematography and style are so original there truly has not been anything remotely similar to this production perhaps for the last 15 years. I really mean this since I was born in Europe and usually keep track on the ever-fading genre of movie-musicals. Perhaps, the "majors" do not produce them because there are so many people hating them and therefore the market is not so open for their creation.

However, if you have a taste for simply a bit of something extraordinary and magic, something so mesmerazing that it is pointless to try and describe it with words, then this is the movie to see. I have never been more serious. Take it for whatever it stands for- cinematic pleasure.

I could not also resist mentioning something one of my colleagues pointed out at a lecture last night- "Not all of us understand the colorful language of Shakespeare but then we all recognize his genius". True, is it not? How many times did you catch yourself not understanding a single word of his writings but then you forced yourself into his magic and got to grasp his power. So, open up your mind, do not be so prejudice and enjoy something very unique called a film-musical.
Old 01-16-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK...3 things

Originally posted by Grimfarrow

1) the actors can't sing
Can't sing? Good God when did someone who is obviously deaf get the notion they can't sing?

In your opinion who can 'sing'? Bob Dylan?

2. How can one admit to not watching the ENTIRE movie and expect us to take heed to their review? Positive or negative.

3. If you HAVE seen the entire movie and hate it with all your being, you are probably a homophobe and are simply afraid to admit you enjoyed a musical. Either that or just couldn't stand it that there was a movie made that didn't have something 'blow up real good'.

Baby arm!
CFG!

Last edited by cornflakeguy; 01-16-02 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 01:16 AM

Sorry to post twice, but it's amazing how much this movie polarizes people. I'm somewhere in the middle I guess. I love it but in small doses. I find myself unable to finish the film in one sitting. I won't buy it, but it is certainly one of the more interesting films to be released in recent memory.
Old 01-17-02, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by cornflakeguy
OK...3 things

Can't sing? Good God when did someone who is obviously deaf get the notion they can't sing?
You like the singing then and accused *me* of being deaf? ROFL!

In your opinion who can 'sing'? Bob Dylan?
Bob Dylan mutters. People who can sing: Jeff Buckley and Joni Mitchell. People who can't sing: Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman

2. How can one admit to not watching the ENTIRE movie and expect us to take heed to their review? Positive or negative.

3. If you HAVE seen the entire movie and hate it with all your being, you are probably a homophobe and are simply afraid to admit you enjoyed a musical. Either that or just couldn't stand it that there was a movie made that didn't have something 'blow up real good'.

Baby arm!
CFG!
Okay - you need to make up your mind. #2 and #3 contradict each other completely.

1. I did see it. The WHOLE thing.

2. Homophobe? That is the LAMEST excuse I've ever heard. I've got to reveal to my gay friend, who hated Moulin Rouge, that he is a gay basher! Can't wait to see the surprise on his face!
Oh yeah, and since I'm supposedly homophobic, my liking Gay films like "Burnt Money", "L.I.E.", and "A Matter of Taste" don't count! Uh-huh.

3. Moulin Rouge has as little substance and as much flash as Pearl Harbor, so don't accuse ME of liking things that "blow up real good". Look in the mirror, pal. I like my films like Ozu and John Forde, thank you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.