Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Pro-Logic II any good?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-13-01, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

So, I Dolby Pro-Logic II worth buying? I need to buy a new receiver, and was wondering if I should wait for one to have everything I want, instead of skipping one or two things like PL II.

I have alot of TV series on DVD and with all the new box sets coming out I'd like to hear about people's opinions of PL II.
Old 12-13-01, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently picked up a Denon AVR-3802 with DPL II. I think DPL II is far superior to DPL. The TV shows I watch (ER, West Wing, Enterprise, etc.) sound much better than they did on my AVR-2801. There were even a couple of commercials where my wife and I just looked at each other and said "wow - they didn't sound like that before." I have yet to try it out on some of my DPL DVDs. Since you "need" to replace your receiver, I think it's a no-brainer to get one with it.

BTW, I assume this thread will get moved to the "DVD/Home Theater Hardware" Forum so if you can't find it, look there!
Old 12-13-01, 11:25 AM
Banned

I thought this would be more appropriate to the DVD Talk forum just because there are so many TV series on DVD. Conversations about AC3/DTS go on in here and this is just an extension of that.
At any rate, I'm basically talking about software, not hardware.

As I understood it, PL II was basically for stereo sources, and not for pre mixed Pro-Logic. Am I mistaken?
Old 12-13-01, 11:30 AM

I agree with TonyS, it is much better and worth buying if you already need a new receiver.

There is a review here
Old 12-13-01, 12:19 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eric F
I thought this would be more appropriate to the DVD Talk forum just because there are so many TV series on DVD. Conversations about AC3/DTS go on in here and this is just an extension of that.
At any rate, I'm basically talking about software, not hardware.
If you're basically looking for feedback on how DVDs sound when using DPL II, then it can stay here, but your original thread title and your post sounded more like you were looking more for info on DPL II itself, and that would be more appropriate for the Hardware forum.

I've changed your thread title to better reflect your desire for information on how DVDs sound using DPL II, so I'm leaving it here unless the thread veers off into discussion of how DPL II works in general.
Old 12-13-01, 12:31 PM
Banned

In that case, you might as well move it to the Home Theater forum because I was interested in how it sounds in general.

If we're only going to discuss how DVD sources sound, that's kind of limiting.
Old 12-13-01, 12:44 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this is the DVDTalk forum.

Ok, I'll move it and change your thread title back.

Sorry for the trouble.
Old 12-14-01, 05:21 AM
etp

Sony 1075

Does anyone have any data on the sony 1075 and how its 6 discrete amps handle rear channel stuff from a stereo signal????
Sony as usual has little to no support and their site has only bare info. But they usually make a good product for the money. Just trying to see if this unit should be in the line up???? For my next purchase. At $393 a person could buy 3 Sony's for an Onkyo 898=my first choice.
Old 12-15-01, 01:01 PM
Banned

I recently purchased a Denon AVR-4802 with Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo 6. Both are far superior to Dolby Pro Logic .

I wouldn't rush out and get it unless you're ready for a new receiver.