Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DigitalEyes.Net : A little worried about them...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-12-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Just placed my first order with DigitalEyes.Net about a week and a half ago and I'm starting to get a little worried by the events that have taken place afterwards. First, I order a DVD that was to be released the following week. I get about three e-mails that day from them. The first was a confirmation, the other two were
e-mails from a CSR thanking me for ordering (?) From the same person both times btw. Two days later, I get another e-mail from that same person thanking me for the order (?) Same identical e-mail, different date and time. The day before the DVD was released, I went online to check the status of my order. Just to see if it was still on schedule to go out, etc. I type in my userid and password that I created. It tells me I entered the incorrect password. I try again. Same error. I know the password is the correct one because I wrote it down. So to confirm, I clicked on the link for them to mail me my password. When I type in my userid and hit send. It tells me I entered the wrong password (!??) So I send them an e-mail reporting this and asking for the status of the order at the same time. Several hours later when I didn't hear back from anyone, I had some time so I decided to call. I was surprised that someone answered the phone right away. No recording or automative menu to choose from. Must be a small place. I started off by asking if they were having problems with their website and he said not that they were aware of. I told him that I was just trying to find out the status of my order online and started to explain what happened when I did and he interrupts me mid-sentence harshly and said "What DVD are looking for status on?". A little surprised he didn't care about the problems I was trying to report, I told him the title. He said "Oh yeah, we got that in last week and all orders shipped on Friday". Without me even giving him my order number. So when I offered to give that to him to see if mine was included, he said "No, I don't need it. If you ordered it last week, it went out". O.K.....Well late that night, I get two more e-mails from them. The first was from that same CSR again thanking me for the order. The other e-mail said, quote, "Just received them. Invoicing you today." What does invoicing me today mean? And why was I told that they went out on Friday when I called earlier? Now I was starting to get a little concerned (and kind of pissed). I wrote them one more time asking them which date was correct? The next day, I get two more e-mails from that same CSR thanking me for ordering. I called them one more time to report THAT problem, asking them to stop sending me those "thank you" e-mails, and that CSR said "Oh yeah....we're been having problems with our system". Didn't take down my name or didn't sound concerned at all. Has anyone else had any problems like this from these guys?

Thanks

Last edited by Daytripper; 12-12-01 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-12-01, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That does sound wierd. I ordered my Avia disc from them about 5 months ago, and it was a great process the entire way.. Quick service and delivery, but I wasn't dealing with a pre-release. Maybe forward them all of the e-mail they've been sending you, to see if they can figure out what's going on.. Good luck with it.
Old 12-12-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't stand them. I'm still waiting for my amazon gift certificate they promised when I signed up over a year ago. (of course I've not ever ordered from them, I'm just still waiting for my gift certificate).
Old 12-12-01, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Eyes just might be my favorite DVD e-tailor. I have recieved before the dublicate and repetitive emails you speak of on orders, and when calling in on a question I was also pleasently surprised to get a real person.
Their website is a bit quirky but I would rather have the lower costs that reflect it. I really like their bonus reward system that amounts to atleast a 2 1/2 percent additional discount, depending on when you cash in.
Their shipping is quite resonable and they tend to count box sets as one when calculating costs.
Old 12-12-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet with these guys. Just thought the events I mentioned above were a little odd. And let's face it, we've all been burned before by at LEAST two or three online stores. DVDWave anyone!?
Old 12-12-01, 01:48 PM

I ordered 2 Criterions from them on Monday afternoon and they were sitting on my desk this morning, even though I only selected standard shipping. Impressive - give them a shot.
Old 12-12-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I *just* got two more e-mails from that same CSR thanking me for ordering again. I blocked his e-mail address. Enough!
Old 12-14-01, 11:41 PM

I get the auto-response email with a CSR's name immediately after ordering, and then get a confirmation the next day from someone else. More than that would drive me crazy too! I recenly asked about an unexpected backorder and was told they were working on their software to improve DVD availability status info, but who knows if they were blowing smoke? They did make a mistake once and failed to give me the sale prices when my order shipped, but they refunded the $7 overcharge within 2 days of notification.

I've placed about 6 orders in the past month and am quite satisfied. Pre-order prices are often the same or less than Planet and Empire and no sales tax which Planet hits me with in CA. My favorite feature: order two DVDs and the $3.85 shipping gives you an upgrade to USPS priority! Orders are processed quickly and shipping is fast if they have your order in stock. I've never cared too much about fast delivery before but I'm starting to get spoiled.

Eyes carries off-the-wall titles and occasionally has a few warm deal sale prices, so until Deep Discount starts carrying stuff like Primitive Love/Mondo Balardo, La Bete, The Pigkeeper's Daughter/Sassy Sue or Of Freaks and Men, I'll be a customer of Digital Eyes.
Old 12-15-01, 11:06 AM

DE is basically a one-man show - that man being Mark. So that explains some of the weird behavior. Unlike amazon or other huge companies, he doesn't need to operate by order #'s and such. I also doubt he has a staff of web designers to quickly correct e-mail and site problems, but he's been responsive to my e-mails and phone calls in the past and if you tell there are problems, he'll eventually get to them. Not that I'm making excuses for them, but that's just what I know from when they were the main sponsors of another forum years ago.

Originally posted by cartman
I can't stand them. I'm still waiting for my amazon gift certificate they promised when I signed up over a year ago. (of course I've not ever ordered from them, I'm just still waiting for my gift certificate).
Am I missing something? Why would an e-tailer offer free GCs for a competing e-tailer? Would CDNow give away amazon GCs?! Please fill me in b/c I don't remember the offer you mention.
Old 12-15-01, 08:58 PM

Well - I was a little worried Monday after placing my first order with DigitalEyes...especially as the online order status seemed to disappear at certain times of the day.

I gave them a quick call the next day, cancelled one of the dvd's I'd picked up hours earlier and was assured the other dvd on the order would ship that day. I sensed it was a small operation as the CSR said "I have that order right here"...and she was kind enough to put me on hold and check the other dvd in the warehouse (which was apparently only a few feet away) before telling me it would ship that day.

I had my dvd - at the lowest price I could find it online - within 48 hours...and it came with candy! So I'd say give them a call, ignore the bizarro e-mails, and brush between meals