Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Walmart DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart DVD's

Someone told me Walmart sells edited versions of movies on DVD. The example they game me was "American Pie" that he bought at Walmart had tamer scene's than of friend of his who had the movie. Is this true? or did perhaps his friend have a special edition? Thanks Larry
Old 12-11-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wal Mart, Blockbuster to name a few do not sell or carry unrated material.
Old 12-11-01, 09:30 PM
Banned

Ditto! TylerDurden_73 is correct. They only carry "R" movies on DVD, not the unrated DVD of the same movie.
Old 12-11-01, 09:36 PM

Hmmm...? Do they show the unrated one at the theaters? And should I be weary about buying at Walmart?
Old 12-11-01, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am always weary of someone or retailer who doesn't think I am capable of making a decision on my own. Yet as a retailer they have a right to decide what they sell. I won't buy dvd's from them.
Old 12-11-01, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LarryWR400
Hmmm...? Do they show the unrated one at the theaters? And should I be weary about buying at Walmart?
The movie theaters never show any unrated movies at theaters.The highest movie rating for movie theaters(multiplexs) is a R. That why you never see any NC-17 movies playing the movies. You should be leary of buying at stores that "edit" stuff out of DVD's, CD's etc.. I'm not sure if any online stores do this pratice or not.
Old 12-11-01, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the case of "American Pie," the R-rated cut available at Wal-mart is the version that was in theaters. The unrated cut was released on video only, but Wal-mart won't carry it.

I never buy DVDs or music CDs at Wal-mart for this very reason.
Old 12-11-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have no problem with buying DVDs with WalMart as long as they offer a widescreen version of those with an and Sca versions, although if a disc is available unrated, I don't bother buying the rated version there like AP 1 and 2, Pitch Black, Basic Instinct, etc.

If there is only one version of a particular title available anywhere, WalMart is an okay place to pick it up. They do NOT edit scenes from films like they edit their CDs.
Old 12-11-01, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Aaron Amos

The movie theaters never show any unrated movies at theaters.The highest movie rating for movie theaters(multiplexs) is a R. That why you never see any NC-17 movies playing the movies. You should be leary of buying at stores that "edit" stuff out of DVD's, CD's etc.. I'm not sure if any online stores do this pratice or not.
Move to a major city and you'll see unrated movies playing every week.
Old 12-12-01, 11:21 AM

Oh please. Not the Walmart bashing again.

I highly doubt a retailer, even one as big as Walmart, can go to a major movie studio and tell them to pull scenes from a disk just for them.

It is true that if two version of a film is release like say 'Pitch Black' then Walmart may make the decision to only carry the rated one only. That's fine by me. If I want the un-rated version I'll go elsewhere. I'm a big boy, I can do that. But I've never found a UPC on a disk that I can only buy at Walmart and refusing to shop somewhere simply because a stores tries to promote family values is frankly kinda silly.

Do you also refuse to shop at Best Buy because they don't carry "adult" titles and you think they should?

The JPIII I picked up there yesterday (for $15.88 I might add) is exactly the same as everyone else's copy.

OK - I'll get off my soap-box now.
Old 12-12-01, 11:48 AM

As a Wal-Mart associate I would like to clear something up.
WAL-MART DOES NOT EDIT CD's. The music companies edit cd's so Wal-Mart will carry them. This shows that the RECORD COMPANIES are money hungry and want to make more money by compromising their artists' work. Wal-Mart chooses to sell these discs but does NOT edit them.
As far as DVD's, I am surprised that Wal-Mart DOES carry the unrated version of Nutty Professor 2.
Old 12-12-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by Ejunior2

I highly doubt a retailer, even one as big as Walmart, can go to a major movie studio and tell them to pull scenes from a disk just for them.

Something like this happened with Nirvana's "In Utero" album. Wal-Mart refused to carry it because of the artwork on the back.

As a result, the record company altered the artwork on the back of the CD and changed the song "Rape Me" to "Waif Me." The contents of the disc itself were not altered, though. I believe this was done at Wal-Mart's request, and only Wal-Mart's request.

Also, something similar with a John Mellencamp disc.
Old 12-12-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ejunior2

It is true that if two version of a film is release like say 'Pitch Black' then Walmart may make the decision to only carry the rated one only. That's fine by me. If I want the un-rated version I'll go elsewhere. I'm a big boy, I can do that. But I've never found a UPC on a disk that I can only buy at Walmart and refusing to shop somewhere simply because a stores tries to promote family values is frankly kinda silly.

Do you also refuse to shop at Best Buy because they don't carry "adult" titles and you think they should?

The JPIII I picked up there yesterday (for $15.88 I might add) is exactly the same as everyone else's copy.

OK - I'll get off my soap-box now.
Don't underestimate the powers of big retial chains like Walmart and K-Mart. The retailers count for a huge percentage of the sales.
Old 12-12-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Not editing

Selling the R-rated version of a movie, the version that appeared in theaters, is NOT editing a DVD.
Old 12-12-01, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wal-Mart is one of the places I consider buying DVDs because, especially for catalog titles, they are REALLY cheap.

For instance, Fight Club SE sells for $19.95 as does Gladiator.
You can get Contact, Dark City, LA Confidential or Pleasantville for $14.44. And others like Spaceballs can be bought for $9.88.

But the selection is not all that great. And not ALL the titles are cheaper. I usually go to Circuit City first.
Old 12-12-01, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Wal Mart, Blockbuster to name a few do not sell or carry unrated material.
That maybe true in the US, but here in the Great White North, Wal Mart does indeed carry "unrated" DVDs.
Old 12-12-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is silly. if wallmart has the movie for a cheap price and you want it buy it. they do not edit movies. the studio does that before the movie hits theaters. infact the unrated is the edited version since they edit in extra scenes that where removed to get a R or lesser rating at the theater. just be aware if there is a R rated and a unrated version. if you want the unrated then, for most cases, look somewhere else than wallmart. but if the dvd only exists as a R rated movie, wallmart is fine. although i personally don't shop there
Old 12-12-01, 05:17 PM

Thats not true American Pie had 2 version the (Collectors edition, Widescreen, Unrated and the 2 disk package that is suppose to be unrated more i guess, Best Buy has the second one.
Old 12-12-01, 05:24 PM

It's important to note that any feature that is changed after the movies rating has been applied makes the "new" version of the movie unrated. Simply because the new scences have not been reviewed.
Old 12-12-01, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by svisscher
It's important to note that any feature that is changed after the movies rating has been applied makes the "new" version of the movie unrated. Simply because the new scences have not been reviewed.
Would that mean that The Phantom Menace has been re-rated for DVD? (I have the Canadian version and it is clearly PG rated as I can see on the back cover)
Old 12-12-01, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett

Would that mean that The Phantom Menace has been re-rated for DVD? (I have the Canadian version and it is clearly PG rated as I can see on the back cover)
Supposedly that is the case with the MPAA. If the movie on tape or disc (or a theatrical re-release) is different than what the MPAA reviewed for its original theatrical rating then it is unrated unless it is resubmitted for a new rating in its new form.

Displaying/advertising MPAA ratings is voluntary, even in theatres. Enforcement by theatres is voluntary. "Unrated" usually means the MPAA actually did certify it as NC-17 and the studio chooses not to advertise that, so it is released without the MPAA's rating. Unrated can also mean it was not submitted to the MPAA at all.

Don't know about Canadian ratings.
Old 12-12-01, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by letterbox

Supposedly that is the case with the MPAA. If the movie on tape or disc (or a theatrical re-release) is different than what the MPAA reviewed for its original theatrical rating then it is unrated unless it is resubmitted for a new rating in its new form.

Displaying/advertising MPAA ratings is voluntary, even in theatres. Enforcement by theatres is voluntary. "Unrated" usually means the MPAA actually did certify it as NC-17 and the studio chooses not to advertise that, so it is released without the MPAA's rating. Unrated can also mean it was not submitted to the MPAA at all.

Don't know about Canadian ratings.
Thanks for the info.

Anyway I am always mixed when it comes to rating... US has a rating, then Canada has a rating and then the province (like a state in the US) of Québec has its own rating...
Old 12-12-01, 11:37 PM

Why does wal mart carry the True Romance unrated version?

I never understood that.
Old 12-13-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

isn't there only one version of True Romance??

in canada, they carry unrated which is cool.

Now, a movie that is reedited for video (like TPM) can be resubmitted to the MPAA or the video release board (like in canada) and RATED.... when Universal or Dreamworks adds new scenes into an American Pie or Road Trip type movie, they don't resubmit them! The reason is, most of the new scenes are NOT that outrageous, and would probably still be an R rating... but it's much cooler sounding marketing wise to have the UNRATED edition... sounds dirtier.... like the holy grail of teen comedies with the UNRATED attached...

The whole Unrated concept now is just a marketing tool...

MATT
Old 12-14-01, 09:03 PM

I don't know firsthand about WalMart's clout with DVDs content but I do know that they do pull major weight with some manufacturers. I used to work for a publishing company who changed the cover of an entire series of books to fit WalMart's racks. I know that for a fact because I worked on them. It was pretty involved and not inexpensive to do. They manufactured runs of these exclusively for WalMart.

It's not that much of a stretch to think they'd make other demands - and have them met - as well.

I personally don't care if WM edits content or packaging or not...there are plenty of places to buy DVDs and CDs and I do. I don't buy those items at WalMart because I'm always leery they've subject to some sort of change without a label specifying such.

Speaking of censoring: were there 2 versions of Metallica's S&M DVD? I saw reference to a discontinued "clean" version here. Mine's got the big "Parental Advisory" sticker on it and it wasn't from WM so I'm assuming I've got the *real* version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.