Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need some DVD player recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a tough time deciding what stand alone player/model i should get.

must haves:
  • Progressive scan
  • Mp3 playback

guess that's it. i currently have a 27" Sony that's pretty old, so i will be upgrading that down the line as well (not sure about whether the new TV will be 16:9). My spending limit is about $500 cdn. I'd like a player that will last me a long time, meaning it's feature filled and reliable. I've heard good things about players from Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic and JVC (among others). But there are so many to chose from I'm completely torn.

Please suggest some i should look into. Thanks.
Old 12-12-01, 08:36 AM

^
Old 12-12-01, 08:53 AM

I have heard good things about the Toshiba 3750 as well as the Panasonic RP56. The Tosh doesn't have MP3 capability, but the Panny does. I believe the Tosh might give a better video picture over the Panny - honestly I'm torn between these two players (I'm looking to upgrade to progressive from my 2 year old Tosh 2109). As for the other brands I cannot say, you might want to look over at Audioreview and see how many of these models rate to the average consumer.
Old 12-12-01, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by dvddude23
I have heard good things about the Toshiba 3750 as well as the Panasonic RP56. The Tosh doesn't have MP3 capability, but the Panny does. I believe the Tosh might give a better video picture over the Panny - honestly I'm torn between these two players (I'm looking to upgrade to progressive from my 2 year old Tosh 2109). As for the other brands I cannot say, you might want to look over at Audioreview and see how many of these models rate to the average consumer.
Thanks for the reply, but i was under the impression that the Tosh 3750 could do mp3 playback? Or am i wrong?
Old 12-12-01, 11:37 AM

I stand corrected! For whatever reason I was under the impression that the Tosh didn't have this ability, but looking into it further I see it does. As for the quality or MP3 playback on both, I have no idea.

Also, a quick search through this forum for threads on progressive players might yield some excellent results for you. I went to AR and noticed noone has put up a review of the Tosh 3750 yet, but that player has been discussed here many times (as well as the Panny, etc.)

Last edited by goatweed; 12-12-01 at 11:42 AM.