Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Advice: Upgrading my main receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-01, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will seem like a sin to most of you, BUT I am still using the Pioneer Dolby Reciever that i bought 6 years ago. It was very high end at the time, but we're talking about a time when laserdisc's were the most high tech thing out there. It's the oldest component in my home theater. No dolby digital, no DTS, no Svideo, no optical, no component.

I've recently found a deal on what looks to be a nice receiver, complete with all the most recent bells and whistles (DTS, DD). And i'm just wondering will i be able to notice a difference. not only with the better connections, but will i notice a difference audilbly in the DTS and DD over the current baseline Dolby that i have now...

My TV a 27 inch Phillips/Magnavox that i received last year, and i'm running a RCA 5220P DVD player. Pioneer100W center and Rear speakers with JBL150W Front speakers.

I'm just looking to find out how huge of a difference would i notice in DVD playback, and CD playback with the new feature this receiver would offer me...?
Old 12-09-01, 06:18 AM
etp

Be sure you get at least 6 discrete power amps and dolby2 and 6.1.

sony 1075=$393= cheapest on the markett

Yamaha 2200 excellent=$864
Denon 3802 very good=$700
Onkyo 898 = perfect=$1092
Onkyo 797=$769=outstanding
Pioneer is very expesive for a quality 6/7 channel
Harmon Kardon is low on watts for output
JVC is not discrete on its amps on the lower end units.

If it doesn't list equal power for all amps then they may not be independent amps.
Old 12-09-01, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Need Advice: Upgrading my main receiver

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I've recently found a deal on what looks to be a nice receiver, complete with all the most recent bells and whistles (DTS, DD). And i'm just wondering will i be able to notice a difference. not only with the better connections, but will i notice a difference audilbly in the DTS and DD over the current baseline Dolby that i have now...
Yes. You will notice quite a bit of difference on discs that have 5.1 and DTS tracks.
Old 12-09-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you will notice a very big difference as far as surround effects and LFE goes. For me there was not that dramatic a change to the front stage going from Pro-Logic to DD/DTS, though you will notice more directionality.

If you are running out of video inputs to your televsion or receiver, it is well worth it to upgrade just to have streamlined audio/video switching.

Almost every new DVD contains a DD 5.1 track (and DTS many times) so to get the most out of your movie investment, a new receiver is the way to go.

J