Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony DVP-NS700P, etc.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony DVP-NS700P, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony DVP-NS700P, etc.

Just received my new sony DVD player yesterday. I upgraded from an early Sony 5-DVD changer (DVP-C600D) for the following reasons:

1. Didn't need 5-disc changer anymore. Originally, the player was also my only CD player, but I added a 400-disc jukebox last year.
2. DTS, since my new receiver supports it (went from a STR-DE715 to a STR-DE945).
3. Progressive, since I'm about 6 months from adding a 57-65" RPTV to the setup.

(Quick aside about the receiver. It has SLink controls for everything, but not a single device I have -- not even the new DVD player -- has SLink capability. Did they ditch this technology or what? Everything I have is Sony and none of it is SLinked. The CD changer has a Control AII, though.)

Besides the remote being iffy (can't change TV channels with it but can adjust volume, but the DVD Navigation buttons are much nicer than the flywheel on the old one), I'm really happy with the player so far. Gave it a workout on Gladiator DTS soundtrack and Star Wars I DD soundtrack for audio. Video seems about the same, since I'm still limited to interlaced composite connections (My TV is a 4.5 year old 27-incher without even S-Video).

So the player has some functionality I didn't see addressed in any of the (few) reviews I checked up on:

1. Block Noise Reduction (BNR) -- with three vague levels of BNR (level 3 "reduces the block noise more than level 2") that I haven't played with yet, I have to ask about its usefulness.

2. Video Equalizer -- Has some presets and customization of picture/brightness/color/hue -- I've ignored this because I have the TV set up with Avia. Feature of dubious value? Should I recalibrate with Avia from the player?

3. Digital Video Enhancer -- again, three vague levels of enhancement, claims to "make the picture appear clear and crisp by enhancing the outlines of images on ... [the] screen. Also ... can soften the images ..." Again -- haven't played with it because I'm not sure where to look for improvements. Any input?

4. TV Virtual Surround Sound (TVS) -- useless, since I'm using a receiver for the audio, not my TV speakers.

So, anyone have any insight/comments about features 1, 2, or 3?

Thanks.