Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Pearl Harbor DVD: very disappointing

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 05:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very glad that I decided to rent this DVD before buying it. I loved the movie when I saw it in the theatres, so I was looking forward to the DVD. When I heard it was a 2-disc set I expected there to be some great extras. There's not even a commentary track. No deleted scenes. No biographies. No cast/crew interviews. The only "extras" you get are a music video and some pre-exisiting documentaries. And if you want to watch the movie you have to swap discs half-way through because the first half of the movie is on disc one and the second half is on disc two. It's quite annoying and even the menus are fairly boring. I definetely do not recommend getting this DVD. I don't even recommend renting it. I liked the movie, but I hate the DVD.
Old 12-04-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the DVD. besides, they're releasing a new one soon.
Old 12-04-01, 09:25 PM

I like the movie. That's why I bought the DVD. Extras don't make or break a movie for me, especially at a 16.99 price.

The transfer is awesome, the sound (DTS) is off the page. This was a good DVD for me. I could've gone without the disc transfer, but I'll live.
Old 12-05-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

who cares about the extras,

it`s all about the movie,picture and sound,

then extras
Old 12-05-01, 01:24 PM

Great disc for a good movie.

Full review can be found at MadmanMark.com
Old 12-05-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ReduxGuy
I love the DVD. besides, they're releasing a new one soon.
I'll add that to the Back-Handed Compliments Hall of Fame
Old 12-05-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved it at the movies and I love it on DVD.

-Great Picture
-Great Sound
-95% correct in keeping to history
-Showed how everyones lives changed in little more than 2 hours
-Great deal: 16.97 and Best Buy

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 12-07-01 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-05-01, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

Yes if you're just buying this in order to see the movie then it's great. The video and sound quality are top-notch. But the lack of extras still make this DVD very disappointing in my opinion. The extras are what make or break a DVD for me. I've already seen the movie in the theatres, I was renting the DVD in hopes of hearing the director's commentary and to see what scenes were deleted, but neither one of those standard extras were included on this 2 disc set.
Old 12-05-01, 08:49 PM

The definitive 4 disc set will be released in May, with all the extras you all lament!
Old 12-05-01, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Iron_Giant

-95% correct in keeping to history
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-01, 04:58 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wait for the Director's Cut...
Old 12-06-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow! I think we've found the 5 people who liked the movie. I'll be renting it this weekend but I'm kind of scared.......
Old 12-06-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Movie was about what I expected (Armegeddon meets Titanic), but could those subtitles have been any smaller?? I had to squint to read them every time. That got old in a hurry!
Old 12-06-01, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by bralph
Movie was about what I expected (Armegeddon meets Titanic), but could those subtitles have been any smaller?? I had to squint to read them every time. That got old in a hurry!
not only the subtitles,but how about the track listing on disk 2,all wrong.they started back at track 1,and the book had 30,or something like that.

otherwise,i liked the flick.

Last edited by tommy28; 12-06-01 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-06-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Snake Plissken

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
My dad was in WWII, Korea and Vietnam as a pilot. He was trained in the same bombers that Doolittle flew off the Aircraft carrier. One of my dad’s friends (Bill Bower) flew on the mission with Jimmy Doolittle to bomb Japan. I have known Bill most of my life (well, I meet him when I was 13). The bombing of Japan was great for the moral of the United States, we did not have much good news against Japan up to that point. It made people believe that we could beat the country that made us pay
such a terrible price in Pearl Harbor. That is why I was hoping
Disney was not going to mess with history to much.

Over the past six months there have been alot of people who said that PH(the movie) got nothing right as far as history goes. So, I did some research and found out that it did get about 95% of history correct. Some of the "mistakes" were "artistic liberities".

Some of things that people said that PH got wrong were:
1. They sun was too bright during the attack(sun came up to early)
2. Dorie Miller(a black man) never received a medal until after he died
3. Doolittle's men never crashed in China

For the most part they got the points from history right:
1. The planes bunch up together when the bombing started
2. The time in the morning when the strike took place
3. Two men (the names were changed) driving to a small airfield to take off
4. Those two men shooting down Japan airplanes
5. The cook(Dorie Miller) shooting down planes from one of the ships guns
6. The cook(Dorie Miller) getting the Navy Cross from Admiral Chester W. Nimitz on the deck on one of the Aircraft Carriers for his bravery
(http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/p...m/d-miller.htm).
7. Doolittles Raiders taking off early because they were spotted by some small boats.(and they really did place black boom sticks in the plane as guns in the back of the plane)
8. Some of the Planes did crash in China and some the men did
die(But I do not think they died in a gun fight, they either died by being executed by the Japanese or drowning while bailing out after bombing Japan - they changed execution to gun fight).
http://www.b25.net/raiderslist.html
9. Sunrise was about an hour before the attack
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calenda...01&time_type=0
10. Sinking of the minisubs
11. The presidents speech
12. The photo man's death
13. Date of the attack on PH
14. Time of the attack on PH
15. The messages getting to Hawaii late
16. Date for the Doolittle Raiders taking off
17. Hornet being the name of the lead Aircraft Carrier
18. Doolittle was told not to go the mission, but he never said he would not, so he went.
19. There is more, but my wife called and wants me to come home for dinner...

The place were they did not go with history is:
1. The 2 men who shot down Japan's planes never went with Doolittle(maybe they could not get they rights to the mens names or something.

I believe the love story did show how the war changed people’s
lives forever. Without the human drama, PH would not have been true to those who lost the people they loved. True, some of the lines were corny and unoriginal, but it did remined me of some of the old black & white movies from that time period.

Once again, I say they got 95% of history correct. That means out of 100 parts of history, 95 are correct and 5 are wrong.

Not a perfect movie, but my wife and everyone else I know loved
it. I will always love Tora, Tora, Tora, but PH is a great movie.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 12-06-01 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-07-01, 06:34 PM
RVN

Is this movie really worthy of extras?>A DC?>An SE?>4 discs> etc...

I haven't seen it, I'm just asking.

RVN
Old 12-07-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RVN
Is this movie really worthy of extras?>A DC?>An SE?>4 discs> etc...

I haven't seen it, I'm just asking.

RVN
The version that just came out only had to real extras:
1. Making of PH
2. History Channel - History the attack on Pearl Harbor

I really enjoyed both of the extras. After watching the Making of PH, I have much greater respect for how much work & planning went into making PH. And the History Channel always does a great job.

What I really wanted was the movie. I watch the extras once, but watch the movie many times. The only extras I watch many times are the out-takes. They can be more entertaining than the movie.

I love the history of WWII, so I found the extras to be just right.

If you want more, wait a few months for the 3 disc set.
Old 12-08-01, 10:01 PM

Iron_Giant,

Thanks for the information regarding the accuracy of PH attack.
Old 12-09-01, 12:23 PM

Like someone said above, wait for the definative 4 DISK DVD in MAY, of cource with this announced, the first release was not always going to be great for some dvd collectors. Rent until the better version comes out to those who want to see it.
Old 12-10-01, 09:20 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I plan on getting the Dir Cut in May (which will boast the extra features). The reason I bought this, rather bare-bones, disc is because of the DTS track (which the Dir Cut won't sport). Besides, I actually like the movie and didn't want to wait till May before I could watch it at my leisure.
Old 12-14-01, 04:05 PM

wow, quite a few people liked this movie, the sales numbers actually surprised me IMO its a little to long for what it is, and there is not enough action scenes, the scenes they do have are good, but the ridiculous love story just last too long.
Old 12-17-01, 04:59 PM

I loved the movie!!! It had great video, excellent DTS sound and the actual movie was good. Extras mean nothing to me. If the studio needed 2 disc to fit just a excellent video and audio tranfer,then that is fine with me. The sound during the attack was unreal. Loved it!!!
Old 12-17-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Berkowitz
I loved the movie!!! It had great video, excellent DTS sound and the actual movie was good. Extras mean nothing to me. If the studio needed 2 disc to fit just a excellent video and audio tranfer,then that is fine with me. The sound during the attack was unreal. Loved it!!!

I rented it and liked it too. From all the ranting and raving, I expected the next coming of "Battlefield Earth".....
Old 12-18-01, 01:14 PM

I just picked up PH at Half.com. I bought it purely for the war sequences. Most of the reviews that I had read were not very positive but I thought the attack sequence alone was worth the purchase since I enjoy war movies, especially those about WWII.

I didn't like PH. Not even the war sequences. I thought the overblown CGI effects were unrealistic and took away from the narrative impact of the film by calling too much attention to the techniques used. Granted, they were state-of-the-art techniques but I believe that the best special effects in a film are the ones that you can't tell are special effects.

The planes were way too quick and agile. I think special effects guys need to pay attention to relative scale when it comes to CGI because I have seen this in other films (ie the dive-bombing Stukas in Enemy at the Gates and the snake in Anaconda).

THings got really ridiculous when the two US airmen joined the fray with their P40's. I was flabberghasted when they used such cheap parlor tricks like planes using buildings as a slalom course. Or planes turning at the last moment and sending their pursuing oppopent into an obstacle. Or playing chicken. Cmon. Save those tricks for the sci-fi flicks where gravity and inertia have no meaning. Ground troops with small arms stalking incoming Zeros like they were ducks??? I was waiting for someone to say, "SHHHH! They might hear us!" God, it was so laughable.

Tora Tora Tora, with all of its cheezy, Toho/plastic model special effects, was a much better movie than this expensive piece of Hollywood crap.
Old 12-18-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by thunnus
I just picked up PH at Half.com. I bought it purely for the war sequences. Most of the reviews that I had read were not very positive but I thought the attack sequence alone was worth the purchase since I enjoy war movies, especially those about WWII.

I didn't like PH. Not even the war sequences. I thought the overblown CGI effects were unrealistic and took away from the narrative impact of the film by calling too much attention to the techniques used. Granted, they were state-of-the-art techniques but I believe that the best special effects in a film are the ones that you can't tell are special effects.

The planes were way too quick and agile. I think special effects guys need to pay attention to relative scale when it comes to CGI because I have seen this in other films (ie the dive-bombing Stukas in Enemy at the Gates and the snake in Anaconda).

THings got really ridiculous when the two US airmen joined the fray with their P40's. I was flabberghasted when they used such cheap parlor tricks like planes using buildings as a slalom course. Or planes turning at the last moment and sending their pursuing oppopent into an obstacle. Or playing chicken. Cmon. Save those tricks for the sci-fi flicks where gravity and inertia have no meaning. Ground troops with small arms stalking incoming Zeros like they were ducks??? I was waiting for someone to say, "SHHHH! They might hear us!" God, it was so laughable.

Tora Tora Tora, with all of its cheezy, Toho/plastic model special effects, was a much better movie than this expensive piece of Hollywood crap.
Wow! I thought the CGI was some of the best I have ever seen. I will agree the playing chicken thing was most likely unreal. Through, the more I check into the movie, the more small things I find out that they got right.

If you go to this site, you will see that at least one Japan plane was shoot down with a Automatic Rifle.

http://www.execpc.com/~dschaaf/timeline.html
0825 Using a Browning Automatic Rifle Lt. Stephen Saltzman and Sgt. Lowell Klatt shot down enemy plane making strafing run on Schofield Barracks...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.