Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Traffik Miniseries

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Anyone have reviews about the British miniseries Traffik?
Old 11-27-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen it myself, but DVD Talk's very own DVD Savant has a review at http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s289traffik.html I will probably pick it up at Columbia House as an enrollment selection.
Old 11-27-01, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not the greatest looking or sounding DVD ever made. That said, it's pretty interesting to watch, although now that I have it, I don't know how many times I'll rewatch it. I would say it's good for a CH enrollment selection that you can then pass around to your friends.

If you've seen Soderbergh's Traffic, you'll be surprise at how much is directly lifted from this mini-series. And naturally, since it's over twice as long, some storylines are fleshed out and more detailed.

Also if you've seen and enjoyed Traffic, you'll probably enjoy Traffik. But if you're just not sure you want a 6-hour, grainy BBC mini-series sitting on your shelf, it would make a great rental.
Old 11-28-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I got it as an enrollment at CH. Guess I'll just watch it and in the worst case senario, i can just sell it.
Old 01-04-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got around to seeing TRAFFIK about a month ago.
I had seen Soderbergh's Traffic in the theaters the day it came out, and liked it quite a bit, being a general fan of his movies, as well as interested in how the subject was handled.
In my opinion, the British series is much better - more involving, and it makes the point about the futility of the whole drug war much more poignant. I'd consider Traffic to be a sub-par remake of this original series.
I'll rewatch both of these again, but if I could keep only one, it would definitely be TRAFFIK. Granted, better video quality would be great, but that's a minor issue for me.