Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What Phish and Pearl Jam live CDs should I buy?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently become big fans of both these bands and was wondering what live CDs to pick up by either of the bands. I have no live Phish CDs and the only Pearl Jam I have is the Seattle II show.

I know Phish has quite a few (around 10 or so I'm thinking). They released a few recently that looked great but had kind of steep prices. Still I'm willing to pick up one of them or any other live CD by them that is worth it.

I know Pearl Jam released every one of their "Binaural" tour concerts on CD. I'm interested in either the European leg or the American leg. It really doesn't matter to me as long as it's as amazing as what I'm hearing on Seattle II.

Any suggestions you all have would be great. Thank you in advance.

blink
Old 11-25-01, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be "A Live One" by Phish.
Old 11-26-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what's the name of the phish song where the tag line is "bag it, tag it, and sell it to the butcher next store"? Also, What are the good oysterhead songs? I got to see them on reverb, as well as live last week, and I really enjoyed their show. Coolest roadies I've ever met too.
Old 11-26-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pearl Jam disc 15 from the show on 15/6/00 Katowice Poland... the disc that says Spodek is great....

here's the track listing:
long road, breakerfall, corduroy, animal, brain of j, nothing as it seems, given to fly, god's dice, present tense, mfc, not for you, betterman, grievance, thin air, even flow, nothing man, insignificance, rvm, do the evolution, go, rival, footsteps, wishlist, small town, last kiss, alive, ritfw (rocking in the free world)

Also, a great disc (probably better to me cause i was there) is disc number 50, recorded on October 5, 2000 at the Air Canada Center in Toronto... great show....

sometimes, breakerfall, corduroy, grievance, brain of j, animal, dissident, nothing as it seems, given to fly, insignificance, daughter, betterman, mankind, immortality, even flow, black, rvm, encore break, sleight of hand, crazy mary, once, do the evolution, wishlist, leatherman, baba o riley, indifference....

hope that is helpful

MATT
Old 11-26-01, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
what's the name of the phish song where the tag line is "bag it, tag it, and sell it to the butcher next store"?
That would be Reba.

As for which live Phish to get... (commercial releases, I won't go into the entire taping/trading scene here, though if you really like Phish you should check it out)

Slip, Stitch & Pass is really good. It's not an entire show though. (just 1 disc)

From the set of 6 complete shows they recently released I would pick show 2 (7.16.94) or show 6 (11.27.98). 7.16.94 is a taste of old style Phish. 11.27.98 has some amazing segues, rare songs and Wipeout teases throughout the show.
Old 01-15-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From the Live Phish series, I like No. 6 the best. They're playing is excellent, and it's just an all-around fun show, especially with all the "Wipeout" teases. No. 4 from Japan is a close second...the "2001" is great.

As for Pearl Jam, I've got the Las Vegas show, which is their 10th anniversary performance. It holds a special place for me because I was there, but it is a killer show with rarities and some great speeches by Eddie.
Old 01-15-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phish - A Live One is a good place to start. 2 disc set. Great stuff at their (IMO) peak. Slip, Stich and Pass is good, far from their best though... Hampton Comes Alive has some decent jams on it, kinda pricey though at 6 discs. After seeing them 20 times, I have little interest in the "new" live stuff, so I can't comment on the "live" series of releases they're doing now. Long story short, get A Live One.

RoQuEr - Oysterhead - It's a good CD, almost all of the tracks are worthy...

Along the same (phishy) lines, check out some live moe. if you're into jam bands. They're the best around right now IMHO... I'll recommend "L" or "Live Warts and All".

And, along the Oyssterhead lines, check out Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade. Good jams.

No opinion on Pearl Jam.
Old 01-15-02, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Along the same (phishy) lines, check out some live moe. if you're into jam bands. They're the best around right now IMHO... I'll recommend "L" or "Live Warts and All".
moe. is awesome. I'd highly recommend both "L" and "Warts" but would definitely pick up "L" first. The song selection is incredible (but for the exclusion of "Moth", which is on "L 3.1", an ep available on their website, and on "Warts"). Along the same lines, you might want to check out "Carnival '99" by the String Cheese Incident.
Old 01-15-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You really can't go wrong with any of the PJ shows... I've got and have listened to everyone of them (most of them many times), and their are reasons to love each and every show. Even when they have a slightly off night, the music's still brilliant.

If I had to recommend a few off the top of my head, I'd definitely recommend the Katowice show as above, but also the second Katowice show (#16). They're both top notch. Also, I actually liked the first Seattle show better than the second.

Las Vegas is amazing with that beautiful rendition of Crown of Thorns (first time PJ ever played it live) and so much more.

The one time they played Crazy Mary during the European leg of the tour also springs to mind as one of the best shows (though I can't remember which one that is)... you can go to www.fivehorizons.com for all the set lists and reviews of each... Edit: I just went there myself, and the Crazy Mary show is 6/26 in Hamburg - it's also got great renditions of Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter, Soldier of Love, and Rearviewmirror all on the second disc... plus they played Present Tense that night (which is always a huge plus in my book)

Last edited by JonTurner; 01-15-02 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-15-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On Pearl Jam:

Although it wasn't officially released, the 9/11/1998 (wow, creepy date) Madison Square Garden show is widely held to be one of, if not the, greatest performance of their careers. Incredible set and energy. It's widely available on the internet check around.

set: Release, Hail Hail, Animal, Even Flow, Given to Fly, Corduroy, MFC, Habit, Faithfull, Daughter/(Beginning to See the Light)/(WMA), Wishlist, Nothingman, Immortality, RVM, Brain of J, Black, Do the Evolution
enc 1: Breath, State of Love and Trust, Off He Goes, Leatherman, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Mankind, Baba O'Riley
enc 2: Indifference (with Ben Harper), Alive
Old 01-15-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On Phish: If you have a CD Burner or even if you don't, download this show

http://cobalt.momadance.com/music/Re...1194/music.htm

The quality is amazing (both sound quality and the quality of the show) and it's legal to download copies of shows that haven't been officially released by the band, so you don't have to worry about that.
Old 01-15-02, 11:53 PM

Also, for Phish and other jambands (String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, moe., etc.) www.nugs.net has a ton of great shows available for download and burning. For Phish exclusively, try www.momadance.com. Buying the Live Phish series is nice due to the superior sound quality, but there's tons of free stuff out there too.
Old 01-16-02, 08:54 AM

PEARL JAM: BUY THEM ALL

case closed
Old 01-16-02, 08:55 AM

Pearl Jam disc 15 from the show on 15/6/00 Katowice Poland... the disc that says Spodek is great....
this is also my fave
Old 08-14-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Pearl Jam has tacked on an additional item to a slate of live albums due Sept. 16 via Epic. The group's July 8-9 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden will be issued in its entirety as a 5-CD set, augmenting previously announced stand-alone releases of the two New York shows and a two-set, 45-song July 11 performance outside Boston.

The group is taking a break following the conclusion of its 2003 world tour but will be back in action in late October for Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit outside San Francisco. Also in the works are a DVD of a March show in Yokahama, Japan, a comprehensive 2003 tour DVD and a double-disc collection of rare and unreleased tracks.
Old 08-14-03, 01:30 AM

I bought the May 3 - State College, PA show at Best Buy a few weeks ago for like $12. It's a 3 cd set.
Old 08-14-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by Cyberock
I bought the May 3 - State College, PA show at Best Buy a few weeks ago for like $12. It's a 3 cd set.
yeah got that one and it's 3Hours 20minutes...SWEET
Old 08-14-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think the PJ shows are one of the best bargains on the CD shelf. Everyone who even remotely likes PJ should own one or two
Old 08-14-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy old thread Batman!!

I was about to type something out, and then I realized I already did 19 months ago!

Anyhoo... since the question was first asked, Pearl Jam's released another 73 live albums, and once again, they're ALL worth getting!

Of course if you don't feel like going all out like I did, definitely at least check out Buffalo, State College, Madison Square Garden I (much better than the second one), Washington D.C. (to hear me scream "WHY GO!" just before they start playing it for the first time in almost 8 years!!), Boston III (45 songs including a 12 song mostly acoustic preset!!!), and Holmdel.
Old 08-14-03, 08:28 AM

I have a bunch from this tour, but my faves so far are

Boston III
Mexico City III
Las Vegas
East Troy
San Antonio
Old 08-14-03, 12:08 PM

I was considering buying the 3 shows in MASS where they played all their songs...opinions?
Old 08-14-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Kite!
I was considering buying the 3 shows in MASS where they played all their songs...opinions?
Definitely get Mass III with the acoustic set, that is a fantasic disc! The other two shows were very good as well (you can never go wrong with Release and Oceans as openers). I second the Holmdel recommendation, the first time Hunger Strike had been played since 98!
Old 08-14-03, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Kite!
I was about to recommmend at least picking up these 3.. All 3 were good shows, 1 & 3 being the best in my opinion. You catch most of their songs, and it was a pretty cool thing they tried, playing all their songs etc..
Old 08-15-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000

long road, breakerfall, corduroy, animal, brain of j, nothing as it seems, given to fly, god's dice, present tense, mfc, not for you, betterman, grievance, thin air, even flow, nothing man, insignificance, rvm, do the evolution, go, rival, footsteps, wishlist, small town, last kiss, alive, ritfw (rocking in the free world)
I agree with you man. I also love the final show they did in Seattle(I don't remember which number it is) but it was a 3-cd set. Excellent performances all around IMO.
Old 03-03-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

where can i find reviews of all the official live boots that PJ has released to date?

i know that RS magazine did a similar review when PJ released the 1st batch of boots - i ended up buying the top 5 & loved them all

i'm currently unable to get all that's available so these reviews would really be of help...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.