Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I will NEVER shop at Best Buy again!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this already at dealofday.com, but I wanted to spread the word!

Here's my Best Buy Horror Story:
My boyfriend and I went to Best Buy in Henrietta, NY on Friday day-after-Thanksgiving morning and picked up Sega Dreamcast, ($49.99) and a video of Notting Hill, (sticker price: $8.99). We waited an hour in line to checkout which was not a big deal. The lines were almost to the back of the store and I expect to wait in line at 10am on Black Friday.

However, when we finally got up to the register, we asked about a raincheck for the free game w/ Dreamcast purchase, since other people were getting rainchecks. In fact, right next to us at lane #9 (we were in lane #eight), the cashier was writing a raincheck for the Dreamcast game. The cashier told us no rainchecks were being given even though she, too, saw the other cashier writing out a raincheck. Fine.

Then, she rang up the video for more than the sticker price. I pointed it out to her that it rang up wrong, BEFORE I paid. She said "I just scan the tag. If you want the money, you have to go to Customer Service". I know I should have just stopped right there and called a manager over, but I was trying to be cooperative and not cause a hold-up or problem, so we walked over to CS.

Two lines at CS both state "Returns or Exchanges". Computer purchases were on the other side. We got in line behind 3 other people, and waited another 30-40 minutes. Each person took 15 min. Finally, up to the counter, and the service person is GONE. People behind me are asking the other service persons, "where did she go?". She had gone to the bathroom. Fine. Couldn't she have told us she had to go on break? Couldn't a manager run the line while an employee is gone for 10 min?

Finally she is back. People behind me are not happy. So I start to explain that I was over charged and she states "I'm only doing computer hardware purchases." She points to the next lane with 10-15 people in line and states, "She's the only one doing returns/exchanges". I said "But the sign says, 'Returns/Exchanges'." And she says, "Well we can't order another sign for this line just for today." WHAT? Are these people completely incompetent? They can't write on paper and tape it over the "Returns" sign? People behind me are yelling for a manager.

So the service person is gone to get a manger. No manger, but the same person comes back, now willing to help me. I explain my issue, then the register goes off-line. Now she cannot do anything about it. A manager, Ray Fitzgerald, comes over and starts saying that all over-charges need to go back to the counter where they made their purchases. I stepped up and told him I was not going to wait in line again. He said I wouldn't need to and he will meet me back at lane #8.

We go back to lane #8, and wait another 5 min., while Ray has disappeared. Meanwhile the original checkout person is complaining to customers about the rude customers she has had today, (not professional). Finally I see Ray and wave him over. The checkout person is asking why customer service can't handle it. Customers are complaining that this is holding up the line. I have to give them my credit card and have it charged again and do not receive a voided receipt for my first purchase. So I ask if I can receive a voided receipt. The cashier yells, "Oh my God! Look, there it is! Post-void!" and waves it in my face, but I do not receive a copy. I walk away. At the door, we wave Ray over and he does state that if the first purchase is not voided, we can come back and ask for him.

Ray was at least attempting to be helpful, but the other 2 service persons were not. I know this was a long post, but after 2 hrs of waiting in line, and the hassles we were put through, I want everyone to know how rude, incompetent and unprofessional Best Buy is. I wrote a complaint through Planet Feedback (which I doubt will work) and mailed a letter to Best Buy Consumer Relations. We'll see if I get a response!
Old 11-25-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You must be firm in these situations. By law, they are REQUIRED to give it to you for the sticker price. If the CSR won't do it, insist on talking to a manager right then and there.
Old 11-25-01, 11:30 AM

Yes, I know they are required by law to give it to me at the sticker price! As I said, in retospect, I should have asked for a manager right then and there at the register! I was trying to be cooperative and with it being so busy, not hold up the line. I hate when people are bitchy during the holidays, but I will stand firm from now on!

BTW, when I was over-charged the sticker price at a Michigan K-mart, they gave me $4.00 or $5.00 back in addition to the amount over-charged. I forget if that was because of a state-law or K-mart policy.
Does anyone know?
Old 11-25-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No offense, but you sound a little like a push-over in these situations. If I were you, I would have waited in that original checkout line, and told the cashier to either give me the price stated on the box or call the manager over. Moreover, if the person next to you was getting a raincheck for the same item, you should have argued a lot more for it. Just don't budge from your spot in the checkout line until you get everything you came there to get at the price you came for. I've been buying at bestbuy for over 6 years now, and I've had tons of these little problems. Not once have I ever come out of there thinking I paid more than I should have. Bestbuy is a great place to shop because of the prices. The employees might be a tad incompetent, but that's no reason to miss out on the great deals. Anyway, all I'm saying is that you should have just stayed in line and not let that cashier herd you over to the customer service desk. Next time just tell that cashier you will not wait in another line after having already waited for 30 minutes. Tell that cashier to bring the manager to you, and don't worry about those guys in line behind you. Believe it or not, they'll forget about it the minute they get out the door.
Old 11-25-01, 11:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You can't really expect to go to a store like Best Buy on Black Friday and expect great customer service and personal attention. It just ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-25-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
You can't really expect to go to a store like Best Buy on Black Friday and expect great customer service and personal attention. It just ain't gonna happen.
That's no excuse. You can't expect great customer service but you're entitled to decent customer service. Being busy is not a reason to be rude. If you accept rude behavior then you're encouraging it.
Old 11-26-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OT: I went with a bunch of friends to Mc Donalds. I asked for their "2 Big Macs for $2.22" and got it, while my friend tried to ask for the same deal, and was told that the offer expired already. Keep in mind that I was standing in the line right next to him and ordered about a minute before him. He didn't want to fight for it, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and I was the one who didn't get the deal, I'd fight over it, and at least talk to the manager.
Old 11-26-01, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
A local radio DJ this morning was telling his audience NOT to shop at Best Buy. Very Funny!
Old 11-26-01, 10:49 AM

I had my own issues with the Henrietta Best Buy this weekend as well

I'm getting a Panasonic 47" HDTV. Called on Friday to see if they have any on hand. Guy on the phone answers they have a few. I make a point to make sure he's not talking about open box or display models, but new in the box.

Come in next day with my buddy and his truck to buy the tv and haul it to my apartment.. First, I happen to get a supervisor 'helping' me when I go to the store. I pull out my Sears receipt and ask him to price match. He tries to tell me that's not possible. I tell him he's wrong and to go get a manager. 10-15 minutes later (fine, they're pretty busy, the manager is likely tied up) they finally come back and the manager and give me the price match. Then the guy disappears again to check if they have any in stock. I didn't have a chance to protest to simply check on the computer, or that they had told me yesterday they did have some in stock. 10 minutes later, he says they have nothing.. So I have to have it delivered..

Next up is getting the Best Buy credit application processed. I fill out the form, and after a fairly short wait in line, hand it in. She tells me it'll be done in 15 minutes.

After 10 minutes of her talking with someone else, and helping out some other return with 2 other people on a register, she comes back and says she'll do my applications now. Why didn't she do this 10 minutes ago?!?

Half the employees were just standing around behind the cs counter, the only ones doing anything were 3 to a register, and they are liable to disappear for 10-15 minutes at a time. I was there for a grand total of 75 minutes.

Maybe if they at least gave the appearance of trying to do things in a decent amount of time, I wouldn't be as annoyed, but it's just pathetic there.
Old 11-26-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by huzefa
No offense, but you sound a little like a push-over in these situations. If I were you, I would have waited in that original checkout line, and told the cashier to either give me the price stated on the box or call the manager over. Moreover, if the person next to you was getting a raincheck for the same item, you should have argued a lot more for it. Just don't budge from your spot in the checkout line until you get everything you came there to get at the price you came for...
Ditto. Look at how Guildda handled a situation:
Originally posted by Guildda
...I pull out my Sears receipt and ask him to price match. He tries to tell me that's not possible. I tell him he's wrong and to go get a manager....
I can't count the number of times I have had to tell a clerk that they were wrong and then either had to convince them that they were wrong, or have them call over a manager who then corrects the situation (and I am in the right ~95% + of the time).
Old 11-26-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't count the number of times I have had to tell a clerk that they were wrong and then either had to convince them that they were wrong, or have them call over a manager who then corrects the situation (and I am in the right ~95% + of the time).
I had trouble with Best Buy PMing their OWN ad. A little talk with the manager straightened it out.
Old 11-26-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had problems like these at Bestbuy even on slow days. They never have enough registers open and their staff is among the least helpful next to maybe Wal-Mart.

However, I still go back to buy things because they have really good sales. It's a tradeoff I guess. I won't buy anything like a computer from them though. It's just not worth the trouble for a big purchase. I only go for cheap DVDs or video games.
Old 11-26-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

However, I still go back to buy things because they have really good sales. It's a tradeoff I guess. I won't buy anything like a computer from them though. It's just not worth the trouble for a big purchase. I only go for cheap DVDs or video games.
I think most people are in the same boat. Actually, I go there for their sales and to PM stuff.
Old 11-26-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by careb

BTW, when I was over-charged the sticker price at a Michigan K-mart, they gave me $4.00 or $5.00 back in addition to the amount over-charged. I forget if that was because of a state-law or K-mart policy.
Does anyone know?
This is a Michigan state law and I heard it's the most consumer friendly price-scanner law in the country.

State law in Michigan requires retailers to pay consumers who are overcharged 10 times the difference in price up to $5.

It kind of makes it worth it to drive back to the store if you ever get over-charged.
Old 11-26-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a Michigan state law and I heard it's the most consumer friendly price-scanner law in the country.

State law in Michigan requires retailers to pay consumers who are overcharged 10 times the difference in price up to $5.

It kind of makes it worth it to drive back to the store if you ever get over-charged.
I think I'm moving to Michigan now
Old 11-26-01, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dpham00

I think most people are in the same boat. Actually, I go there for their sales and to PM stuff.
I tried to avoid the hassle by using bestbuy.com and it's even worse. CS at the store hasn't sent the order to be picked and refuses to answer the phone. A helpful person I got in the media department won't even put me on hold for fear they will hang up on me. She has been hung up on by them.

What is even worse is their management doesn't care
Old 11-26-01, 05:27 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Last week, I ordered the new Radiohead CD from the bestbuy website and picked in-store pickup. I get an email saying its out of stock. I call up the website CS and get them to switch the store. Same thing - out of stock. I go to the store the next day and find like 30 copies on the shelf.

sigh.