Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Are Best Buy's(nationwide) understaffed this Christmas season?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Are Best Buy's(nationwide) understaffed this Christmas season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-01, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Best Buy's(nationwide) understaffed or overtaffed this Christmas season?

I just got back from local mall in Fairfield,Ca after I went and bought my mother a penguin calender for her Christmas presents. She loves penguins a lot and I 'd thought it was the perfect Christmas gift. After I bought the present, I got myself two books from Waldenbooks. My Christmas shopping is almost done. I figure I'm about 60-70% done. I took the bus down there and home again.

I went into to Best Buy to take a look around see what the prices were for prices on DVD's etc..we have at the B/X. I see several staff putting away DVD's in the DVD section. Of course I could tell that there were understaffed. The checkout lines were starting to get long and I did not have time to waste waiting in line.

Since I did not want to wait in line I went across the street to Circuit City and got myself some DVD's there. No problem there. But I keep thinking to myself if Best Buy is understaffed , how stressed out is the employees most be! Thank Goodness I'm not working there!

Anybody else have more Best Buy stories to report about? Is this a nationwide trend? What's funny is outside the store they have a "Now Hiring " sign in big letters above their doors!

Last edited by Aaron Amos; 11-24-01 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-24-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in two different BBs on Friday and you couldn't turn around without running into a BB employee.

There were zillions of employees, each with a big stack of their service plan booklets. Everytime I picked up an item(even small ones), someone would come over with their service plan sales pitch. It was worse than a used car lot.

One store had no lines with all registers running. The other store had only a third of the registers manned and a long lineup. As you entered the line, you got ambushed by a couple of employees pushing the service plans. At each register was an extra employee pushing the plan: "Are you SURE you don't want the plan?" I was seriously POed by the time we left the store.
Old 11-24-01, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nekobus
I was in two different BBs on Friday and you couldn't turn around without running into a BB employee.

There were zillions of employees, each with a big stack of their service plan booklets. Everytime I picked up an item(even small ones), someone would come over with their service plan sales pitch. It was worse than a used car lot.

One store had no lines with all registers running. The other store had only a third of the registers manned and a long lineup. As you entered the line, you got ambushed by a couple of employees pushing the service plans. At each register was an extra employee pushing the plan: "Are you SURE you don't want the plan?" I was seriously POed by the time we left the store.
maybe I should of called this thread instead "Are Best Buys(nationwide) understaffed or overtaffed this Christmas season?"
Old 11-24-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmm...this thread got me thinking about taffy apples
Old 11-25-01, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was at bestbuy yesterday and there were tons of employees all over the place. Just looking at CD-R drives i was asked by 7 employees in a span of 5 minutes if I needed help. I think they are overstaffed :-)

capt
Old 11-25-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It doesn't really matter if they're overstaffed if half of their employees were hired that day. I've been to BB twice in the last week, and I had a new employee (first day at work) both times.
Old 11-25-01, 05:24 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CaptDS9E
I was at bestbuy yesterday and there were tons of employees all over the place. Just looking at CD-R drives i was asked by 7 employees in a span of 5 minutes if I needed help. I think they are overstaffed :-)

This happened to me today.

I did try to go to a BB on Friday but there was a huge line coming out the entrance. So, they probably could have used all the employees then....
Old 11-25-01, 09:20 PM

Read this for a little info on how Best Buy runs their company:

http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/23/companies/bestbuy/

They think they had a good first weekend. I wonder how many DVD players they moved.
Old 11-26-01, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Read this for a little info on how Best Buy runs their company:

http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/23/companies/bestbuy/
Well, all that I got from that article was " have good prices, and people will come"
Old 11-27-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Dude, your mom loves Penguins?
Old 11-27-01, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dpham00

Well, all that I got from that article was " have good prices, and people will come"
eventually, if someone else can offer the same/similar price with better service and less hassle and they will stop coming
Old 11-27-01, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Deadman31
Dude, your mom loves Penguins?
Yes she does! I've found out that finding stuff is penguins is very hard to do(especially around her b-day which is in August). I know she like her calander . I thought of her when I first saw it!
Old 11-27-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

as analysts predicted would happen this year, Best Buy is capturing market share this holiday season by pleasing customers like Anthony with clean, crisp stores, fully stocked shelves, good customer service and competitive prices.
Uh........ are they talking about Best Buy?