Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are S-Video cable really worth it for the GC or any other video game system?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel kinda dumb for asking this, because I know the benefit of S-Video, but I have never used them for a video game console. Does it have the same effect for a gaming system? Also, I can not find the cables that are made by Nintendo, are any of the after market brands ok, or should I find the Nintendo cables?
Old 11-23-01, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not dumb at all. S-video makes a HUGE difference...the clarity is amazing. I have my DC and Gamecube hooked up via s-video. Now the cool thing about Nintendo is that the s-video cable has been the same for the SNES, the 64, and the Gamecube. I just unplugged the S-video from my 64, and plugged it into the gamecube.

Now you can get the cable through Nintendo, or you can just go to Wal-mart and pick up a multi s-video cable that has connections for the DC, PSX, and the SNEN/64/Gamecube...I think it ran about 20 bucks...good investment.
Old 11-23-01, 10:50 AM
Retired

Yep, it makes a lot of difference. Much more clear. I haven't got to use S-video with my gamecube yet because all the third party cables have plastic blocks on them that keep you from being able to "peel" the cables apart. I need to be able to split them so I can run the video directly to my Wega, and the audio to my receiver. I ordered the Nintendo S-video cable, which you can "peel" directly from them and it is supposed to come by UPS on Wednesday. I have my Dreamcast hooked up with S-video now, and it looks much better than it did with the RCA cables.
Old 11-23-01, 12:02 PM

Here is the link for the Nintendo online store:

http://store.nintendo.com/cgi-bin/nc...ranslateTo=EEC
Old 11-23-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a page with a few comparison pictures of S-Video vs. composite.

http://members.home.net/thatmarkguy/svideo.html
Old 11-23-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My television only has one Svideo input, and i use that for my DVD player. My A/V receiver has no S video inputs or outputs... So how can i hook my DC and PS2 and DVD to my TV using Svideo for all of them... Is there like an S video HUB?
Old 11-23-01, 02:21 PM

Yes, although can depend on quality too. But unless you overpay for monster cables, it's definitely worth getting svideo stuff
Old 11-23-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
My television only has one Svideo input, and i use that for my DVD player. My A/V receiver has no S video inputs or outputs... So how can i hook my DC and PS2 and DVD to my TV using Svideo for all of them... Is there like an S video HUB?
They have splitters for stuff like that, I think they call it a switcher. I saw it at EB for like $20 bucks or something
Old 11-23-01, 03:12 PM

yeah, like an RF switch... I dont' know why i didn't think of that. I've seen them at walmart for 20 i think. Might be worth looking into if it will make my games clearer...
Old 11-23-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know the question has already been answered, but I've got all of my systems connected via S-Video, even my SNES! (Saturn is not S-Video, though, as I couldn't find a S-Video connector for it ). BIG frickin difference!
Old 11-23-01, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to reiterate what everyone else has been saying. I Have all my systems running thru an SVideo switchbox, and I couldn't imagine going back to composit.
Old 11-23-01, 09:51 PM
Banned

If I dont have an S-Video hookup on my TV is there anyway I can still get it? Like an adapter or anything?
Old 11-23-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

S-Video is worth it. And you don't necessarily have to spend lots of money to see the difference. Even the cheapest (in price) of S-Vid cables show a noticeable improvement over composite.
Old 11-23-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the cables today but it looks really bad now. I'm pretty sure the cables are messed up. There isnt some sort of setting I have to turn on or some switch I have to use on my tv is there?
Old 11-24-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Component is even better , but yes S-video is great.
Old 11-24-01, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can use S-Video there really is no reason that you shouldn't. It'll definately make the picture much clearer for the games which will result in higher scores.
Old 11-24-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CreatureX

Thanks! It is nice to see the difference.
Old 11-24-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
If I dont have an S-Video hookup on my TV is there anyway I can still get it? Like an adapter or anything?
No. Sorry...
Old 11-24-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I upgraded my Dreamcast to S-video and regretted spending the money. I saw no improvement, and neither did my friends. I say check it out for yourself live in a store before you spend the money for an S-video cable. Don't trust images on a web page.
Old 11-24-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CreatureX

How about an S-Video vs. Component comparison?
Old 11-25-01, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I bought the cables yesterday and there is a noticeable difference. The picture just looks clearer, and there seems to be more detail.
Old 11-25-01, 11:10 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
Sorry to disagree, but I upgraded my Dreamcast to S-video and regretted spending the money. I saw no improvement, and neither did my friends. I say check it out for yourself live in a store before you spend the money for an S-video cable. Don't trust images on a web page.
What kind of TV do you have? You really won't see the difference on anything smaller than 27" and if you have a crappy tv it's not going to help either.

I have a 27" Sony Wega and their is a huge difference.

If you're going to bother on using S-video or component, you really need to get a decent 27" or larger tv set, or you're just wasting your money. Panasonic makes some good 27" sets for under $300, for those interested in upgrading their picture quality. Just stay away from the crappy brands you see in stores like wal-mart (phillips/RCA etc.) , as they are cheaper but you pay the price in lack of quality. Of course if you don't really care about video quality, then you'll be fine with your 13" phillips.
Old 11-25-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I've hooked it up to a 35" Toshiba and a 55" Mitsubishi Diamond Series HDTV. Just don't see what y'all are talking about. If there's a difference, it must be so subtle that I'm just not seeing it. I guess I was hoping the difference would be night and day.
Old 11-25-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Of course if you don't really care about video quality, then you'll be fine with your 13" phillips.
My 13" Phillips will smoke your 19" Daewoo! Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch! hehehehe I am using a low end 46" GE projection and there is a big difference.
Old 11-25-01, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Cornfed

How about an S-Video vs. Component comparison?
The difference between S-video vs component is considered to be about HALF the difference between Composite vs S-video, and would probably not be noticeable on anything less than an HDTV or high end TV such as the Wega. I could be wrong.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.