Reload this Page >

Metal Gear Solid SOL thoughts???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-20-01, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven’t even gotten a PS2 yet (waiting for price drop, patience of a trapdoor spider) and when I saw the box at Target yesterday I freaked out!
Is this game the sh*t or what? Has anyone played it. Are you playing it and can’t leave the console to post because it’s soooo good? I don’t usually fall for the hype this hard, but they got me this time. There are now many reasons that I will purchase the PS2 when the price goes down, but this is the king of all of them (my reasons I mean).

Yes, I have no information to offer. On the contrary, I’m fishing for opinions.
Old 11-20-01, 05:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got it today, and love it. Graphically, it's head and shoulders above MGS1, just like it should be. I never understand why they Snake into battle with nothing more than a tranq gun, though! If it were me, I'd want some sort of submachine gun or something.

Controls are great. They're slightly different than MGS1, but it didn't take much getting used to. And just like MGS1, the game gives you little tips on how to use your controls.... how to open doors and such. You have a lot more control over Snake now... for instance, you are now able to get up against a wall, and use the L2 and R2 buttons to creep left and right... get to a corner and keep holding the correct button, and Snake will peer around the corner. Hit the fire button, and Snake will pop around the corner, fire a shot, and jump back behind cover. It all looks beautiful. The concept of being able to "hold up" guards and shake them down for dog tags or other resources is pretty neat. It was a little difficult to pull off at first, but I've gotten the hang of it.

People have been mentioning the AI, especially in the other MGS2 thread. The guards are fairly smart in normal mode.... I haven't tried too hard to evade them yet once I've been discovered, but I'll share two neat guard stories that I have.
Spoiler:
First story: I had been spotted, so I run into a locker room and jump into a locker to hide. The radar display has switched a security camera view of the search team sweeping into the locker room... they halt at the first locker, which I'm in... a guard gets right in front of it, opens the door, and we have to fight it out. Neat.

Second story: I had been spotted, and I run into what looks like a storage room. Dead end. Crap. I run to the end of the storage room, and find one of the famous cardboard boxes. Yes! I jump in and hide. The search team busts into the room, and is shooting up the place, because they're pretty sure I'm in there... it's neat to see the objects on the shelf in between us react to being struck by the gunfire... fruits split apart, bottles break, etc. The team cautiously sweeps through the room... but they don't see me, just the box. One of the team members drops down to a knee and tries to look into the box... it's funny to go to first person mode (R1) and watch this through the box handle. The alert finally gets downgraded... whew!... and the team starts to leave the room. Except for the one guy who had earlier taken an interest in my cardboard box... he's still looking at it, rifle pointed at the box. He kicks the box... I still don't move. I think I'm in the clear, when the guy picks up the box! DANGIT! I'm spotted again... the search team sweeps in, and blows me away. This was a combination of AI and really neat graphical touches... it looked SO cool.

Just to let you know, I'm not an MGS1 fanboy. I just beat MGS1 recently, and I wasn't too pleased with it overall, maybe because I had watched my roomie beat it in college and all the surprises were spoiled for me. I'm really loving MGS2, though.

Snake good!
Old 11-21-01, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only got one thing to say about MGS2... OH MY GOD!!!

The only word to describe this game is Epic. Period.

The game is so good that i went out and got my gamecube on Sunday, came home, toyed around with it for a hour and went back to Metal Gear. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a long time.

Graphics: Amazing
Movies: even more amazing
Story: Campy, but fun
Voice acting: Best I've seen in a game
Gameplay: addicting. Not to hard, but very intense
Detail: the attention to detail is astounding
Sound: On par with any hollywood action movie

This game is the Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings of the video game world. If you don't have this game you need to get it. If you don't have a PS2 to play this game on, you need to get one.

-=cysco
Old 11-21-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you've never played Metal Gear before(NO SPOILERS):

Heads and shoulders possibly one of the best games ever. It's almost an action puzzle game in the sense that you have to figure out how to sucessfully evade gaurds and cameras. The game's cinematic nature is handled way better then what Square tries to do. Maybe certain scenes aren't as good, but they're definitely integrated into the game better. Also, the game is easily a 10+ hour game which is long for any action game, but there's tons of replayibility due to certain items and exploration to be done. Can't go wrong with this.

If you've played and beaten MGS(MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS):

This is were it gets controversial. For veterans, the gameplay is the same and upgraded for the better here. If you love the dynamics and controls of the first Solid game then you'll be in heaven here. The 1st person mode here is a godsend.

Now comes the story. Probably half the fun of the game is in the epic storyline and how well it's integrated into the gameplay. For example, it sets up gameplay situations and alters the way you play out certain areas of the game. Plus, who could forget those awesome boss battles. Here, the storyline has changed. I don't want to ruin the storyline(Note: you may not want to read the manual since it gives away crucial plot points), but about 2-3 hours into the game the story under goes a major change that changes the game from that point on. Oh the controls are the same, but the story essentially goes way back to square one and begins anew. This change may really piss fans off considering the game is called Metal Gear SOLID and this is a sequel, but for fans I'd definitely say stay with it and see how everything plays out.

Then there are certain elements that and minor quibbles that effect this sequel. For example, while I do love the cutscenes, there are some that are long. I think there are 2 or 3 that run roughly longer then 25 minutes. This really drags and could have been summed up in a much shorter time. Plus, there are quite a few needless moments and some that are really inappropriate given the context of the game. For veterans that laughed or hated at the moments of character development right in the middle of a heated battle will find that there are more here and even more eyerolling. Personally, while these could be annoying I still appreciate them as a whole and at least Kojima injects these into his characters rather then other games that don't even try.

One thing that also puzzled me was that you don't really need to use everything weapon and item you come across. Unlike the first game where each thing you collect get's it's own moment in the spotlight, it's not so here. Not really a complaint, but when you think about it, it is kinda pointless to have such a huge inventory.

Then comes the boss fights. The first game had incredible boss fights and even had you going up against a tank. Here you fight a Harrier jet which is cool, but everyone else is kinds bland and cliched'. Not as good a group as the Foxhound crew from the first.

Okay, now for the ending. Personally, no how sappy and preachy the ending of the MGS 1 got at spots it was still an incredible ending with an excellent closing credit song. Even though they set up a sequel there was plenty of closure. Now as for the ending of MGS 2. I won't ruin it here so don't worry. However, let me just say, what was Kojima thinking? It's not a bad ending per se, in fact it's a very emotional one, but just think about it for a second and look at it's setting. What just happened a few minutes before with these characters? Look at the setting and why are the people(not the main characters, but the crowd) acting the way the are? Think about the immediate situation and setting of the ending? Pretty much all credibility and realism are thrown out the window for sake of drama. Bad writing on Kojima's part.

Also, let me just say that there will be a MSG 3 and 2 sets it up, but unfortunately the ending is very disjointed when compared to the 1 games' ending that it just leaves a wierd taste in ones' mouth.

So to sum up, these points are minor. I pointed them out so much cause I'm a huge fan of Metal Gear that I got very passionate about these points. But they did not at all ruin the experience for me. In fact, I now prefer this game to the first. It's longer, more varied, and the game is much more of a complete experience. Without a doubt a must have game.
Old 11-21-01, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a must buy!
I didn't play MSG1, but haven't been able to put this game down.
The ones who were disappointed in the game, are only the die-hards MSG fans, but the disappointment lies in one major turning point of the story. The game, gameplay, graphics etc is awesome.

P.S. - as pointed out earlier, don't read the manual until you are done with the tanker.
Old 11-21-01, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should be getting this from Amazon by the weekend. I wasn't a huge fan of MGS (like Static Cling, the constant intrusion of the plot was a nuisance), but the new & improved boxes sound too good to pass up.

BTW, does anyone else think of another acronym whenever SOL is posted?
Old 11-21-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, that other name for that anagram would fit that game as well.

MGS2 really is the best game so far this year. I was immersed by ICO, but MGS2 immerses me even more. I have beaten the game and I still love it. Plan on going back and playing parts of the game this weekend.
Old 11-21-01, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is GOD go get it now!!! Gameplay is great, visuals are great, music and voice acting is great, story is great, everything about it is top notch if you have a PS2 and haven't gotten it yet I will personally assassinate you
Old 11-21-01, 01:05 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

The nice UPS man dropped at my door this morning, but all I could do is LOOK at the case before heading off to the office. Sigh. This game is the main reason I bought a PS2 ages ago. The wait is finally over!
Old 11-21-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got MGS2 thursday of last week and then a cube on Sunday... guess which one I am playing more. MGS2. don't get me wrong, the cube is awesome... but we are talking about MGS2 here!
Old 11-23-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally bought MGS2 today and so far I've played it for about 4 hours..

..And all I have to say about it is -- DAMN!

(read: Play this game. NOW!)
Old 11-23-01, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just beat it tonight. It's the best game ever, my favorite game ever. The plot, the graphics, the twists. I didn't want it to end. Good thing I can play it as much as I want to.
Old 11-25-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished it last night and while I think the graphics and sound are amazing(as well as the gameplay) I have a few nitpicks.
Spoiler:
I didn't really understand the story from Emma's death onwards. The whole arsenal gear thing was semi confusing but it just got really weird after that. I also thought the ending was kind of a downer. I really hoped that I would get to take over as Snake again. Still though, a great game and while I'm a little disappointed I'm still very happy with it.
Old 11-25-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely too short, but I'd say it's about as long as the first one. But holy jeez, they certainly one-upped the plot from the first one! Half a dozen plot twists, each one more nonsensical than the previous. I was expecting a fair amount of melodrama, but when I found out Otacon's back story I started referring to it as MGS2: The Days of our Lives. The bosses were pretty weak, as noted above.

It takes more than attention to detail to make a game great for me. But at least I'm having fun getting the dog tags.
Old 11-25-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate being the odd man out, but I'm going to take that roll here.

The "twist" at the 2-3 hour mark was a total letdown for me. I don't like the fact that
Spoiler:
You have to be someone other than Snake
for the rest of the game, that wrecks the game for me.

Snake is such a bad ***, and maybe that's why I grew attached to him, who knows.

This game wasnt worth the hype IMHO.
Old 11-25-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Thunderball

The "twist" at the 2-3 hour mark was a total letdown for me. I don't like the fact that
Spoiler:
You have to be someone other than Snake
I'm at the 10 hour mark, and yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed with that fact as well.
Spoiler:
I was looking forward to playing as Snake, and when I first took control of what's-his-name, I thought it would only be for a little while. The game itself is cool, but not playing as Snake for the majority of the game detracts a little bit of the experience for me.
Old 11-26-01, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis

I'm at the 10 hour mark, and yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed with that fact as well.
Spoiler:
I was looking forward to playing as Snake, and when I first took control of what's-his-name, I thought it would only be for a little while. The game itself is cool, but not playing as Snake for the majority of the game detracts a little bit of the experience for me.

As soon as this happened..... l lost interest. Loved the first game...loved this game up until they stuck this in.......

Great game graphic wise but I think I will go back to GTA3 and look forward to Max Payne and FFX.
Old 11-26-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball

I hate being the odd man out, but I'm going to take that roll here.

The "twist" at the 2-3 hour mark was a total letdown for me.
Who said you're the odd man out? I can't believe there isn't a a way to
Spoiler:
play as Snake for his side of the story in the Plant level. At times it seems like the game is set up to do this, I wonder if it was dropped in order to get it out in time.
Old 11-26-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama

Who said you're the odd man out? I can't believe there isn't a a way to
Spoiler:
play as Snake for his side of the story in the Plant level. At times it seems like the game is set up to do this, I wonder if it was dropped in order to get it out in time.

Maybe the Xbox version will offer something different.....this twist in the story turned me off from the game.
Old 11-28-01, 05:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just beat MGS2: SOL.

Spoiler:
I fell asleep during a few of the cutscenes. Seriously. The gameplay was beautiful... but MAN... too much story. I never thought I'd get ticked off at a game for having too much story... but that's how I felt for MGS1, and even more so for MGS2. What the hell was that about a consciousness evolving out of the White House? From the morality of the United States? BLAH! Come ON. And all that crap about "nothing is really real, truth is what you make of it"... *yawn.* I will play the game again because of it's great gameplay... but I'll be skipping the story. I wish there was a way to play as Snake for the plant... I miss playing as Snake, too.

Fire bad!
Old 11-29-01, 11:58 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

This title is the ONLY reason I bought a PS2. Now I finally have it and can't stop playing Grand Theft Auto 3. Go figure.
Old 11-29-01, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Outlaw
...if you have a PS2 and haven't gotten it yet I will personally assassinate you
WAAAHH!!! Don’t kill me Outlaw. I swear I don’t have a PS2 yet.

Now I have no choice. I just ordered a monitor that will break me, having me eat Top Ramen for a month at least and begging money from my room mate to take BART to work and keep smoking.

Soooon, though, soon. (but not soon enough!)
Old 11-30-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HAhaha! Better watch your back Kudama! or else I'll have to sneak up on you like this:

But.....uh.........because you've been working so hard this year eating ramen I'll let ya off the hook.......ehm.....yeah.

Anyway I just finished it and it was a blast! I already started a new game on it but I have some thoughts on the story

Spoiler:
I too would have preferred to be snake through the whole game, but I was glad enough that Snake was a main character through the whole game. After I read the interview with Hideo Kojima over at gamespot a lot of things became clear. Apparently he said he wanted to keep Raiden an absolute secret and to have an utmost shock on the players. He also said that in his mind that Snake is still the main character of the game but he wanted to make the story so we see snake from someone elses view. The good news is that he said Raiden most likely won't be in any future installments (unless there is a demand), the shock value was done, plus Raiden pretty much left the story at the very end when he met Rose on the street (but why did he go back to her if she is working for the Patriots and he knew that?). I kind of wished the explained the whole GW - S3 thing though, I was totally freaked out with the way the GW Campbell sounded at the end like it was half robotic and static, it was messed up even if it was a computer. And all those random comments when you have to get your gear back, it almost scared me as much as when I played Silent Hill 2 .

I just wish Liquid didn't just run off in the last moments of the game, after he came back I was ready for a showdown with him, he's my second favorite character after Snake (I love his voice actor, he's got to be one of the best I have ever heard). All in all it was well worth the money, kudos to Konami for getting this game out on time and polishing it to live up to the hype.