Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cube HDTV cables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cube HDTV cables?

Anyone able to find the component video cables for the gamecube this morning? I went to five different stores and didn't find any. It's lame to have to play Rogue Leader with no progressive scan.

I searched online and the only place i could find it was direct from Nintendo. Only problem is there store is broken.

-=cysco
Old 11-18-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Store broken? I just orderd from them not too long ago (2 hours?) and the order went through fine, I called 2 TRU, 2 EB, 2 Targets, and the 2 EB stores said only place to find that is online, all the others only had RF Adapters........
Old 11-18-01, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Do all games support at least 480p with the cables or are some interlaced?
Old 11-18-01, 04:22 PM

Every time i try to check out i get an error screen that says "The Mall/Store is currently experiencing problems.
Please try again later."

Maybe their site couldn't handle the traffic. Who knows.

Anyway, no, not all the games have a progressive scan option. However, all the major titles do. I.e. Star Wars, Smash Bros. etc.

I can't wait to play Star Wars in HDTV goodness. Mmmmmmm

-=cysco
Old 11-18-01, 04:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
480p games (that I know of):

Luigi's Mansion
Rogue Leader
Wave Race

Non-480p games (that I know of):

Super Monkeyball (not that it matters...the game is superb regardless)

Last edited by Groucho; 11-19-01 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-18-01, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x3 480p isn't HDTV ... Dreamcast can do that, but it ain't HDTV resolutions.
Old 11-18-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought all games supported progressive? Does anyone have any more info on this subject?
Old 11-18-01, 07:09 PM
fab

Originally posted by Groucho
You can use the component cables for the N64, if you have them or can find them. They are exactly the same.

Interlaced games (that I know of):

Smash Brothers Melee
Luigi's Mansion
Rogue Leader
Wave Race

Non Interlaced games (that I know of):

Super Monkeyball (not that it matters...the game is superb regardless)

There are no component cables for N64. The Composite and S-Video cables for both N64 and SNES work fine on the Gamecube though.

Also, all Gamecube games support interlaced TVs (of course), and all of them are also supposed to support 480p, however I can tell you that Super Monkey Ball does not. Super Monkey ball works with the component cables, but only in 480i.

I have the asian version of the component video cables (bought them online through an import shop) and they work fine for all the USA games.

--
fab
Old 11-19-01, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I looked as well with no luck. We shall see.
Old 11-19-01, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Altered the erroneous information in my previous post. When I made it, I'd been playing too much with my monkey balls.
Old 11-19-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

VGA Box

? Does anyone know if anyone out there is going to offer a VGA box like the DC had to hook up to you PC? That would be very nice. anyone else interested in this?

PS I believe all games are required to support the lowest level of HDTV, but can support more if the company desires to do so. If anyone does more, I'm betting it will be Rare.
Old 11-19-01, 09:28 AM
fab

VGA box for GC.

There is a VGA box for the GC made by a third party company... the same company that makes the VGA box for the PS2. It's not really taking the VGA signal and outputting it (like the DC VGA box) but it is just doing line-doubling and outputting 480p (that also works with VGA monitors). It's probably not really any better than the line doubler that is in your 480p compatible TV anyway.

--
fab
Old 11-19-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So basically I would have 480 on my pc monitor then? What did the DC box do resolution wise?
Old 11-19-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dreamcast was 480P and it looked great.
Old 11-24-01, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I've seen a brochure from Nintendo in stores that says the component cables are available only through Nintendo, so they won't be sold in stores. There was an 800 number to call. Probably the same one in the manuals.

I know component cables will improve the picture quality, but will they also present the game in 16X9 format?
Old 11-24-01, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone help me understand this a bit more clearer--

My brother bought a new TV a few month ago (32") It has component inputs (the video chord that has three ends to it)

This is not progressive scan right?

What is this? Jusr better picture quality?

If I get these cables can he just plug them in and then the graphics will automatically be upgraded? or does he have to chnage something in the game settings?

Lastly... will he be able to play all games with the component video cables? (regardless of if they support the better graphics or not) He would not ahve to do anything stupid like change cables every time he wants to play a component cable game and a non component game would he?

Someone spell it all out for me..

what does "component" do?

Cheers all!
Old 11-24-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up a set from Japan this morning for 45 dollars. I am going to go to a local High End Audio Video store and see what it looks like on the DLP and the 110 screen. Should be cool.
Old 11-24-01, 09:53 PM

Stupid question: How do I get audio out of the GC if I use the component cables? They don't seem to have the audio cables built into them (Judging from pictures I've seen), and wouldn't the component cables take up that plug-in? Do you have to buy separate audio cables?

Also: Does anyone actually have the GC VGA box? If so, how good is it?
Old 11-24-01, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by madmike
Stupid question: How do I get audio out of the GC if I use the component cables? They don't seem to have the audio cables built into them (Judging from pictures I've seen), and wouldn't the component cables take up that plug-in? Do you have to buy separate audio cables?

You use the regular stereo AV cable that comes with the GC for sound. You plug in the red and white plugs (audio) and the yellow (video) plug is not used.

Last edited by CreatureX; 11-24-01 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-27-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump

can someone shed some light on my question for me
Someone help me understand this a bit more clearer--

-----------
My brother bought a new TV a few month ago (32") It has component inputs (the video chord that has three ends to it)

This is not progressive scan right?

What is this? Jusr better picture quality?

If I get these cables can he just plug them in and then the graphics will automatically be upgraded? or does he have to chnage something in the game settings?

Lastly... will he be able to play all games with the component video cables? (regardless of if they support the better graphics or not) He would not ahve to do anything stupid like change cables every time he wants to play a component cable game and a non component game would he?

Someone spell it all out for me..

what does "component" do?

Cheers all!
--------------
Old 11-27-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Component cables are necessary for progressive scan, but you can use them just fine in place of composite or s-video. Nothing needs to be changed console-side. The picture should be slightly better than s-video on a 32".

As for rough definitions, s-video splits the signal into luminance (Y) and chrominance (C), while (color difference) component goes a step further and seperates chrominance into red minus luminance (R-Y) and blue minus luminance (B-Y). I can't explain exactly what that entails, but it allows the component signal to bypass the comb filter and NTSC decoder.
Old 11-27-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is all you need to know...

component = good

I would use the component cables, but I need that set of inputs on my TV for the DVD player. S-video will be more than enough for me, and my TV doesn't display progressive anyways.
Old 11-28-01, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The TV in question has component inputs, but I do not think it is "progressive scan"

So will I notice a difference?

What is the difference between using component cables on a TV WITHOUT progressive

and component cables on a TV WITH Progressive scan
Old 11-28-01, 10:26 AM

I believe nintendo is only selling the component video cables direct. So they really are your only option.
Old 11-28-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sominex
The TV in question has component inputs, but I do not think it is "progressive scan"

So will I notice a difference?

What is the difference between using component cables on a TV WITHOUT progressive

and component cables on a TV WITH Progressive scan
I would say yes. IMHO not as big of a jump as composite to svideo but still more clear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.