Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I got me a GC tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got me a GC tonight!

I was the 5th person in line at the local Wal-Mart. It was very unorganized. For some reason they decided to distribute the systems in the electronics department. This was a bad move. I got there around 9 and the time went by fast. They brought out all of the systems (around 70) on a large 3 tier pull cart at 12:05. At this point the line emptied and the cart the systems were on got bumrushed. There was a mad dash for the cart and there was nothing to do but jump in. The people in line actually got screwed. They had all of the games and accessories still in the packing boxes on a pallet. They only had 2 games, Luigi and Waveracer. I pushed my way through the old people, soccer moms, little kids, and local thug types, and snagged the first one I touched. I was surprised to see how small the box was for the system. I got an Indigo one, which did not matter at all to me. It is very safe to say that their stock is gone. I do not know if anyone got hurt, but if they did, it was Wal-Mart's fault. They should have never put them out the way they did. I hope you guys did not have a similar experience. The good news is I did not have to wait outside all night at BB!
Old 11-18-01, 12:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

oh wow, luckily there was no girl riding a bike with a gc, hate to see u on the news
Old 11-18-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, my Wal mart was VERY organized.

They distributed the thing thru layaway, and had the cubes behind the counter so you had to wait in line. They handed out numbers for as many Cubes as they had. I was #39, and they got a total of 56 systems.
The associates were very helpful, and as you approached the line, they would yell out "#24 purple or black?" and then "Layaway or going home with you tonite?" , it was really well planned out. I'll give em credit for that.

I'm taking a breather from Rogue Squadron for now, I really wanted Luigi, but they sold out.
Old 11-18-01, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Our Wal Mart had like 76 systems. I was number 22. Everything went fine. Picked up black unit, controller and memory card.
Old 11-18-01, 01:37 AM
Retired

I showed up at 9:30 I was about 30th in line at my Wal-mart, but only 22 GC's where being bought by those, as some where parents with kids. The timing was good, as there were 6 black GC's left when I got to the counter. The line wound around registers 1-4, and then they took people 2 at at time over to the customer service desk to by their GC, and then you could go to the electronics section to get games. They had controllers and mem cards on a display beside the line, so everyone grabbed them.

The store had 60 GC's and sold them all, plus still had about 20 people wanting one when I left. For the X-box launch they had 28 and had 2 left that they sold at 8 a.m. the next morning.

It was a neat experience. Talking to fellow gamers and playing my GBA for 2.5 hours, and then scoring a black cube.

I also got Tony Hawk, and the Pelican controller that comes with the free extension cable. I already had Rogue, Madden and 2 mem cards.
Old 11-18-01, 08:38 AM

Thunderball...

which walmart did you go to?? I was at the one in Pottstown, and they did it the same way you described..i was #49 and still ended up getting a black one....so i thought it was pretty well thought and planned..tho i had a feeling they were gonna do some sort of raffle when they started handing out tickets.

no to decide which games to get..probablly luigi and star wars
Old 11-18-01, 08:51 AM

I just drove by the local Target and there were about 20 people in line at 6 am, then I went K-mart and there were only 4 people there, and the manager handed out tickets, he said they had only 10 systems. So I got my ticket and came home, I plan on going back to the store about 7:45. Pretty sweet, I went to Target last night to buy some games and two kids were waiting there since 6:30 in the evening.
Old 11-18-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by oppie1
Thunderball...

which walmart did you go to?? I was at the one in Pottstown, and they did it the same way you described..i was #49 and still ended up getting a black one....so i thought it was pretty well thought and planned..tho i had a feeling they were gonna do some sort of raffle when they started handing out tickets.

no to decide which games to get..probablly luigi and star wars
I was at the SUper Wal Mart in Reading, PA

Damn you live close to me
Old 11-18-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Score!!!!!

Got to Best buy around 7:30 A.M. and was #39 (too many people at target at that time) and they had around 75 systems. The line went on further beyond me I don't know exactly how many people were there but I think they were pretty close to selling out. It was great waiting in line though the people next to me had gameboy advances and we played 4 player bomberman and Mario Kart....it didn't even feel like waiting (even though I lost a lot at bomberman, I was king of Mario kart!) .

Wave Race is pretty cool, I never owned the N64 version but I always wanted it. The GC version is even better!! I want to get Super Monkey Ball next. Can't wait for Smash Bros. either.
Old 11-18-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had absolutely NO PROBLEMS. my local best buy opened at 10. I was there at 10:30 and there were plenty of systems left. Got a black gamecube, rogue leader, madden, and super monkey ball. what the hell am i doing posting this, i should be playing with my new toy.
Old 11-18-01, 01:43 PM

I walked around GameExpress in the NY area, and they still had systems, but you had to buy a bundle. At least you got to choose the damn games that came with it but still . . .
Old 11-18-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
Well, I got mine at my local Toys R Us this morning. Got there about 7:30 am. There were only about eight or nine people waiting in line ahead of me so that was not a big problem. When the store finally open at 10 one of the employee handed out tickets,we have a choice of two color black or blue,I choose black. I thought the store was really organized there was no mad dash or fighting of that kind. Oh, yeah I also got Star Wars Rogue Leader too.