Being first in line for Game Cube

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just took a break. Came back home to do some padding anyhow. going back to wait in line with ZERO. He of course wanted to be first in line at toys r us for gamecube so he's been waiting out there since 3

How many of you waited outside your respective store for the first come first serve, non bundle packs of GameCube?

How was it?

Old 11-18-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my Cube, I was #39 in line at WaL mart, and got a black system too

I'm taking a small break as well. Loving the rogue game!
Old 11-18-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I wasn't first in line and now I wish I was , I got to Meijer's too late and there were a ton of people there . The workers said they already reached their limit so I'll just wake up early tomorrow and proceed as planned. I missed it this time but it will not happen a second time tomorrow morning. Must go now....need all the sleep I can get
Old 11-18-01, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I stopped at the local Wal-Mart at 11:45 and the line already had 80 people in it. There was no way I was getting a Gamecube, so I went home. Don't think I will try again in the morning. Some people were already waiting outside of Best Buy. No way I'm getting a black one, so I will just wait.
Old 11-18-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow it sure seems like the cube is generating larger lines and more excitement than the xbox. I am waiting a bit to see if a few more games come out. Keep us all informed on the gameplay
Old 11-18-01, 01:42 AM
Retired

I showed up at wal-mart at 9:30 and was about 30th or so in line, though several people in front of me were just with someone buying one, i.e. moms and friends. They had 60 GC's, 30 of each color. There were 5 black ones left after I got mine and almost all the purple ones were still left. After I paid for it, at the service desk, picked up Tony Hawk in electronics, and got some toiletries, they were selling the last couple, with 20 or so people out of look. For the X-box they had 28 and had 2 left to sell in the morning.
Old 11-18-01, 03:07 AM

I picked up a Jet Black Gamecube bundle at Virgin Megastore in New Orleans at midnight without ANY LINES and will promptly sell the Madden and Luig gamesi on ebay in the morning (Im keeping Rogue Squadron and the extra controller/memory card which I would have bought anyway).

Interestingly enough this Virgin store STILL has X-Box bundles lying around

Bundles arent a bad thing if you got an ebay account and dont mind selling off the stuff you dont want....hey it beats standing in lines to me
Old 11-18-01, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got to Walmart at 8:45 and waited it out till 12, about 6th? in line, got a black one, those were going a lot faster. Also picked up memory card Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion.
Old 11-18-01, 07:09 AM

nah, Bundles are cool, when my mom was picking my X-Box bundle up at TRU, the nice electronics guy said I can return the games I don't like, for the ones I do want
Old 11-18-01, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was number 9 at Target. Got me a free "gamecube stool" with the system.
Too bad they had no idea where the coupon booklet was, that was supposed to come with it also.

ah well
time to go play some rogue squadron
Old 11-18-01, 07:44 AM

I was 13th in line, got a black GC.Just took a break--loving it.
Old 11-18-01, 08:55 AM

Well it's 6:50 am here, I just got back from Kmart and the manager was handing out the tickets, so I got my ticket they only had 10 of them. Only 4 people were standing outside, I plan to go back about 7:45 to buy it. Hehe, Target had about 20 people standing in line, 2 kids were waiting since 6:30 last night! Anyways I bought Rogue Squadron and Super Monkey Ball last night, can't wait to play them.
Old 11-18-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wokeup around 6:30, went to Fred Meyer and was #17 in line for one of 35 GC's. However, I only wanted Rogue Leader, and they did not have it. So I waited at target until 8 and rushed ahead of all the old men getting their systems and headed straight for the games. Got my RL....

But I have work to do first before I play that baby.

Man, it's a cute little purple baby I got today.... I can't wait to play it.
Old 11-18-01, 11:20 AM

Getting a Gamecube was easy as pie :)

Media Play (a Sam Goody store) opened up at 9am today specifically for the GC launch (their normal Sunday hours have them starting at 11am). I got there at 8:45am...and was the 3rd and *last* person in line for the GC. They didn't advertise the 9am opening in the adverts, so maybe that's why there was so few people there. The line was about 10 times that amount for the Game Boy Advance launch when I went to buy it at my local Target earlier this year.

(BTW, the Media Play and Target I'm talking about are in Columbus, OH...Hamilton Road and Brice Road, respectively)
Old 11-18-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was 5th in line at TRU, got there at 7am. They opened early at 8am they had at least 100 cubes and only sold about 20 by the time I left.
Old 11-18-01, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went in Best Buy here in Lafayette, IN, about forty minutes after opening and they had tons of Cubes. In fact, I talked to the lady handing them out, and she said they were not selling very fast. Interesting. When I went to Walmart last night, there was a large group.
Old 11-18-01, 12:44 PM

Just got back form my local wally world~ no line~just walked in at 1:00 today and got one. Picked up 3 games, extra controller and memory card. Sometimes ya gotta love living in the sticks
Old 11-18-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got mine last Wednesday at Disc Jockey at about 4pm. The only line I waited in was the line at checkout. There was one person in front of me, then they opened the second register.
Old 11-18-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by silentbob007
I went in Best Buy here in Lafayette, IN, about forty minutes after opening and they had tons of Cubes. In fact, I talked to the lady handing them out, and she said they were not selling very fast.
Same at my Best Buy - they had 84, there were 20 people there when they opened, and they still had at least 20 left when I picked up one at almost 1:00

Daryl
Old 11-18-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from my local Target. The guy in the video department said he still had 20 units. Said that he had 40 total this morning. I didn't pick one up, can't afford it at the moment.

It was almost noon local time here. He did say the X-Box sold quicker.

Jason
Old 11-18-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My story. Got out of work at midnight, sick and dead tired, not getting up at 6 am. Planned on scouring the stores with my buddy this afternoon.

So I initially wake up at 6 for some ungodly reason, my cat comes in, curls up with me, I go back to sleep.

I get up at the crack of 11, take a shower and eventually get out of the house at 12.

So my buddy and I go to our first stop, an Ames. We go to the electronics department. "You have any Gamecubes by any chance?"

Yes they did, in the case, a black one, first store I went to.

I just wanted to rub in that I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn.
Old 11-18-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
My story. Got out of work at midnight, sick and dead tired, not getting up at 6 am. Planned on scouring the stores with my buddy this afternoon.

So I initially wake up at 6 for some ungodly reason, my cat comes in, curls up with me, I go back to sleep.

I get up at the crack of 11, take a shower and eventually get out of the house at 12.

So my buddy and I go to our first stop, an Ames. We go to the electronics department. "You have any Gamecubes by any chance?"

Yes they did, in the case, a black one, first store I went to.

I just wanted to rub in that I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn.

Congrats. I got the black CUbe too, but I Had to wait in the Wal Mart 12Midnight line.

But oh well.
Old 11-18-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Walked into Target at noon just to see and they had about 10 black GCs left. Picked it up along with the Xbox stool, but there were no coupon booklets.

Hard to find games though. No Star Wars at two stores I checked. I will try to get it next week.
Old 11-18-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just one quick comment, to all the people who said that the Cube sold not as well as the XBOX, just keep in mind that Nintendo had DOUBLE the amount of units.
Old 11-18-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i got my black cube today. showed up at EB at noon when they opened and there was like 30 people already there... so i took my place and 40 minutes later... I had my cube

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.