Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

CD Now Gripes

Old 11-15-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
CD Now Gripes

I pre-ordered Queen "We Will Rock You - DTS" and which was shipped timely, but sent me the D/D version. So I call the c/s rep and explain the situation and she tells me that they will send me out a replacement (no charge) and return label for the wrong item.

7-10 days later, I receive the replacement which is the D/D version, AGAIN! I get back on the phone with c/s and explain the situation and am told that it wasn't their mistake, the warehouse screwed up. I said I don't differentiate between you and the warehouse. AFAIC, CDNOW SCREWED UP! I told her not to send out a 3rd copy and to just cancel the order (2 strikes and they're out). To further annoy me, I haven't received the return label they told me they sent for the first wrong replacement.

Additionally, my copy of "Legally Blond" arrived 1 week after street. They sent me a shipment notification the Saturday before the Tuesday release. Apparently the mail took 10 days. I didn't look on the box to see if there was a postmark, so I'm not sure if this was their fault or not, but I really wanted to see this movie last weekend. BB and Costco had it for a good price and I had to resist my urge to just say F-it.

Lastly, my pre-order of McCartney's driving rain was listed as "backordered" on the street date.

I have thrown a lot of money their way over the past few months (using their 15% off coupons), and I end up cancelling a good number of those items because they don't ship out on time. I'm hoping that they throw me a bone to keep me coming back. So far from the tone of the email responses I get back, it seems like they all talk CDNOW-SPEAK like robots. Their messages sound like they were all previously generated form letters for every kind of generic situation, and my name is inserted for cosmetics.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 11-15-01 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-15-01, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a bummer! I haven't had any similar experiences, and I buy from CDNOW quite often. I have had to return some things before (defective) and the return label took a while to get there...but they sent out the replacement before the original got back, so it wasn't a big deal.
Old 11-15-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to confirm that they are TOTALLY clueless when it comes to this title, I can let you know that I ordered the DD version from CDNow and got the DTS. I actually didn't notice until I had all ready removed the shrinkwrap too... luckily, the DTS version includes a DD 5.1 track also.

My guess is that either the warehouse just doesn't bother checking these, or they have the product numbers for them reversed.

Other than that (and a few preorders that go backordered on release date), I've had great luck with CDNow recently.
Old 11-15-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would you care to do a swap?
Old 11-16-01, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agreed that their warehouse can make mistakes but I recently ordered two Criterions at CDNow for $7.99 during their sale. Recieved the wrong (i.e. bare bones) versions and CDnow is denying that it was the Criterion versions I ordered even thought I have screen shots and copies off the website that says otherwise...

Last edited by agitprop; 11-16-01 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-16-01, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by agitprop
I agreed that their warehouse can make mistakes but I recently ordered two Criterions at CDNow for $7.99 during their sale. Recieved the wrong (i.e. bare bones) versions and CDnow is denying that it was the Criterion versions I ordered even thought I have screen shots and copies off the website that says otherwise...
So much for the customer always being right. That is an amazing display or arrogance and short-sighted thinking on their part. This is not good news.
Old 11-19-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still haven't received my Wonka and Wings pre-order from CDNOW. Looks like it might not be until after the long holiday weekend either. What a bunch of crap!