Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins: A Documentary

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-14-01, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night, I went to go see the showing of Smashing Pumpkins: A Documentary at Facets in Chicago.

First of all, this was a documentary and NOT a movie. Since the first show sold out, Facets added a second show. As people were walking out of the second show, they were saying things like "It sucked" or "It wasn't a movie". Well, duh, it says right in the damn title "A documentary".

The show opens up with a 10 minute musical interlude with clips from many different concerts. The entire documentary was shot from the Billy Corgan point of view. They discuss how the met each other, how they created each album, touring, kicking out Jimmy Chamberlin (and then coming back into the band), and the videos they made. Billy also told us why he decided to break the band up.

At the end of the show, Facets started to show the DVD that's coming out on November 20th. The DVD will have a behind the scene for many (if not all) the videos.

All in all -- cool documentary, and I look forward to the DVD next Tuesday.
Old 11-14-01, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
You're welcome
Old 11-14-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bite me.
Old 11-14-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone please tell me how much B&M stores will be selling the DVD for?
I'd rather buy it at say Best Buy, then amazon.

thanks
Old 11-14-01, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey ChiTownAbs-

is this documentary any different from the one that has been available for download (in 5 parts) on the official site? i just watched all parts.. they're about 10 minutes each and cover the entire career.. i'd say the whole thing is about 45-50 minutes long. no 10 minute music thing at first though.

i hear this documentary is also going to be on TV in the US sometime early next week coinciding with the release of the CD/DVD but i haven't been able to get information if it's the same that's on the website or if it's a different one.

the downloadable one has Billy in the beginning standing around in Chicago (outside the Wrigley Field) talking about how that little area around there was where he spent most of his SP-era time in Chicago.

just wanted to mention that so you can say if it's the same or not..
Old 11-14-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

by the way, you can see the trailer for the DVD here:

http://the-raft.com/pumpkins.html

i couldn't get the WM version to work but the RealVideo one works.. looks to be a very damn cool DVD!! can't wait until i get it!
Old 11-14-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Grizzly
hey ChiTownAbs-

is this documentary any different from the one that has been available for download (in 5 parts) on the official site? i just watched all parts.. they're about 10 minutes each and cover the entire career.. i'd say the whole thing is about 45-50 minutes long. no 10 minute music thing at first though.

i hear this documentary is also going to be on TV in the US sometime early next week coinciding with the release of the CD/DVD but i haven't been able to get information if it's the same that's on the website or if it's a different one.

the downloadable one has Billy in the beginning standing around in Chicago (outside the Wrigley Field) talking about how that little area around there was where he spent most of his SP-era time in Chicago.

just wanted to mention that so you can say if it's the same or not..
wow ... yeah, that sounds like it .... yes, the opening scene has billy in front of wrigley field saying how his world was within 1 mile of that area ... he lived 5 minutes from wrigley and "worked" at metro.

didn't know you could download it.
Old 11-15-01, 08:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Here in DC, our local indie theatre, Visions is having a midnight screening/ all you can drink beer (till the keg is done) fiasco - woohoo!
Old 11-15-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ChiTownAbs,

yeah, it's been downloadable in 5 parts on the official site (smashingpumpkins.com) for quite some time although they released the parts with like 1-2 weeks apart, the 5th and last part was only recently released..

i now hear rumours that this 47 minute long documentary will be on the Greatest Hits Video Collection 1988-2000 DVD but nothing seems to be confirmed (like everything with this disc, it sometimes seems).

also, there is speculation online that the Metro last concert DVD is going to be released in january, 2002, as many dealers say that they have an entry for what they thought was a postponed release of this DVD on january 2nd, 2002.. but some say this will be the release of the 2nd DVD with the Metro concert.. let's hope so!!
Old 11-16-01, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

(oooopppsss - never mind. I just saw the documentary myself, and it's only a few minutes longer.)

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 11-17-01 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-17-01, 02:56 AM
Cool New Member

Zodo

Best Buy will also have the Smashing Pumpkins DVD for $15 when it comes out on Tuesday. You can preorder it here:

DVD

Old 11-18-01, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yessss!!! My SP DVD has just shipped!

I also went to the midnight showing of Graceful swans of Never in San Francisco. Good stuff.
Here's a review:

The Smashing Pumpkins: A Documentary - **** / 5

First thing's first - I love the band's music. To me, they are the closest to the gravity and the beauty that classical music such as Tchaikovsky and Wagner have to offer - a type of grandiose Romanticism that lifts you and places you in other worlds.

That said, I think it's a bit early for the band to have a "documentary". For one, it's only been a year since the band disbanded. It's easy to tell from the documentary that there is still a lot of water under the bridge, and that the tensions within the band have not been entirely resolved. Also, at 45 minutes, it is utterly too short. Missing is the part about their farewell online album (Machina II - mentioned only very briefly) and their farewell tour - all material that could have been given much more screentime. And there's the charity concerts around the world - they played at some of the most incredible venues in Europe.

Despite all of this, the documentary taps in very well to the nostalgia and, most importantly, the music that this band has made. And if you even remotely like the band, this is a great documentary for you to experience.

Now Playing: Zwan - Glorious
Old 11-19-01, 08:13 PM

Smashing Pumpkins?

Does anyone know if the DVD will have a 5.1 mix for the videos?

Lemme know

D