Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

String Cheese Incident?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

String Cheese Incident?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
String Cheese Incident?

I watched Austin City Limits (a concert program on PBS) last Saturday and they had the String Cheese Incident band on. Very mellow and interesting.

Anybody know anything about them? If I wanted to buy a CD to listen to, which one would you recommend?
Old 11-13-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd comment and say that I saw that program, too. I'm not familiar with their music, though, so I can't recommend any albums. They're a neat group, though. Leah likey the bluegrass-type stuff.
Old 11-13-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that neither they nor Ween did the "Gin and Juice" cover.
Old 11-13-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Three years ago I went to see them at Trees in Dallas. I thought they were really a great band live. I enjoyed it and I know they've been in the scene for quite some time. Another jam band that is gaining in popularity. Sort of in line with bands like moe. and widespread panic.
Old 11-13-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
There's a double disk live album out call Carnival 99 that I highly recommend.
Old 11-14-01, 01:46 PM

I saw them live a few years ago.

They are a good jam band (one of the better one's out there IMO).

I haven't heard any of their albums, but since they are a band that rely heavily on improvisational jamming, I'd try to catch them live, or download some of their live shows.
Old 04-22-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was visiting their website a few nights ago ( www.stringcheeseincident.com ), and under "sound" they have 13 MP3s that you can download, full length live recordings (anywhere between 5 and 16 minutes each song).

Personally, I like "Best Feel" and "Texas" the best.
Old 04-23-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
There's a double disk live album out call Carnival 99 that I highly recommend.
If you want to buy a SCI disc, Carnival is the one that I would recommend... Or, A String Cheese Incident, which is their first live disc. SCI's studio discs are pretty good but seeing / hearing them live is the way to go...

Excellent group of musicians in the jam band mold that lean a little more towards the bluegrass and folk than most jam bands do. I've been into em' for about 5 years or so and I highly recommend that if you have any interest in their music at all, take a road trip and check em' out live.
Old 04-23-02, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd recommend Carnival 99 over A String Cheese Incident...way more indicative of what the band sounds like nowadays. If you insist on getting a studio disc, I'd recommend Outside Inside, their newest one.

These guys are absolutely incredible live. They go everywhere from bluegrass and folk to trance-like dance jams with a bit of everything else in between. Along with moe., they're my favorite jamband now that Phish has (temporarily) called it quits.
Old 04-23-02, 09:08 PM

I don't know too much about the band. but A very good friend of mine works with them ( either with thier management or record label) and she got me tickets for thier show tommorrow. I'll be looking forward to seeing what thier all about.