Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Orderbox Discussion Part 2

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Orderbox Discussion Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0rderbox Discussion Part 2

The first O-box thread was closed for length. Please continue the discussion here.

Also, I can't suggest strongly enough that you read all the posts in the prior thread, and take others' experiences into account when dealing with this company.

Thanks.

-stevevt
Old 11-03-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When ******** was first mentioned on this board, it was excellent. Geat prices, fast service and i got my dvd's on time. Ever since the word got spread out all over the net, the place went to hell. I cancelled my account yesterday , as ill just pick up new titles at best buy since im there every week anyway. Even though i love all these dvd communities online, they really kill every single good thing that has been out there

capt
Old 11-03-01, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Just because O-box couldn't meet demand doesn't mean it's the consumer's fault.

If they couldn't keep up they shouldn't have offered the service to begin with.
Old 11-03-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Eric F
Just because O-box couldn't meet demand doesn't mean it's the consumer's fault.

If they couldn't keep up they shouldn't have offered the service to begin with.
Agreed.

I'll add that anyone that starts an online business who doesn't take into account information being spread quickly and widely at bargain forums and online commmunities is:

1) Kidding themselves
2) Doomed to fail
Old 11-03-01, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stevevt,

Could you please get someone to remove the filter on the word "0rderbox"? It really serves no purpose anymore as even you have loopholed the filter just like we do. My concern is that someone doing a keyword search for info will come up empty. I realize that it is technically an affiliate competitor but seeing as how their service is so poor, allowing people to know about the service can only help DVDTalk.

...and yes, I obviously agree that the DVD community did not cause OB's failure. Lack of planning and a poor business model did. Amazon, DDD, CDNow, etc. seem to have no problem supporting the DVD community. Even Columbia House manages just fine and there is a whole forum here devoted to them. I am convinced OB is trying to run a major business on a shoestring budget. It can't be done. It is not a matter of whether they will go under, it is when...
Old 11-04-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by moocher
Stevevt,

Could you please get someone to remove the filter on the word "0rderbox"? It really serves no purpose anymore as even you have loopholed the filter just like we do
Agreed, and done.

My concern is that someone doing a keyword search for info will come up empty.
Good point. When I finish this post, I'll make sure to change the title of this thread (Zero --> O) to make it "findable."

I realize that it is technically an affiliate competitor but seeing as how their service is so poor, allowing people to know about the service can only help DVDTalk.
Agreed that on balance, the discussion of Orderbox will most likely be more about customer dissatisfaction than praise, but I'll be monitoring this closely.

Thanks for your comments.

-stevevt
Old 11-05-01, 09:46 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks likey they just raised their shipping rates. The per shipment charge is now at $2.59 according to one of the 'tips.'

Another nail in the coffin.
Old 11-05-01, 01:29 PM

Well, if the postage fee per order went UP to $2.59, then all of us with out-standing orders (even though we cancelled membership) yet to be shipped will see even higher charges on our CC bills.... UGH

That means the first item has a S/H cost of $3.48. With that kind of pricing, that makes orders from DDD of less than about $45 rather useless as they would cost more (and have a longer delay) through OrderBox.

Link to OrderBox Shipping Fee FAQ item

Coincidentally, even if you cancelled your OrderBox membership, you might be able to post messages on their users' question board as well as reply to messages. To post, fire up your orderbox program, select LiveHelp, and then click on the "get help from other members" option instead of the OrderBox CSR. Your message will appear on the Members Board at:

http://www.orderbox.com/cart/pfs.asp...l=pchatrespond

I look in there from time to time. It is clear from the vastly fewer posts that the membership has either dwindled or has stopped asking questions.

Last edited by Startide; 11-05-01 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-05-01, 01:40 PM
MrN

Well, if your bid has already been accepted, the price breakdown for 'in process' and 'back-ordered' items on your invoices should remain the same. I would think the price increase per order only affects newly accepted bids, but I will be watching my invoice page and my CC statement.
Old 11-05-01, 01:50 PM

Well, I had two items charged higher than expected "long ago" (i.e. last month) and an email from Cynthia Brown to correct the problem. But no correction was done, and further emails get the "stone wall of silence" treatment. Since the amount is small (a few dollars per DVD), it is much cheaper for me to walk away than to have the irritation of pursuing it during the last two months of 2001.
Old 11-05-01, 07:33 PM

Looks like it's getting worse...

Just got off the phone with someone..and it sounds like things are getting worse.

I called because several of my orders are still "In Process" or "Back-Order/Pre-Order" even though the films have been out for weeks (and are readily available--come on, what store doesn't have a huge supply of films like Cats & Dogs, Dumbo and Shrek?!). The guy told me that MANY orders have been placed on Hold because the prices accepted were too cheap.

They would be fixing the system "in a day or so" (translation 1 to 2 weeks) to let you know which orders--so you can replace them at the higher price or cancel them. He said they are already selling stuff at 10% below their cost. Also, that you could ask for the monthly fee for the month to be credited back.

If they weren't going to honor their prices it would have been nice if they told us ahead of time--so that we could still take advantage of pre-order prices elsewhere! This place used to get the shipments to you right on the release date--then they changed their system and it has gone down hill ever since!

-Kyle
Old 11-05-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
I'm surprised that someone picked up the phone....
Old 11-05-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
He said they are already selling stuff at 10% below their cost.

Boy, this reminds me of Pets.com.

Don't know why stores sell things below cost. One or two items is ok, as long as you make up on others, but if it's on a lot of items, then the more they sell, the more money they lose.
Old 11-06-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kyle:

Consider yourself lucky that you had good service at ANY point during your OF'er experience. Of the 12 DVD's I received (notice I didn'd say ordered). I only received ONE that arrived within a week of the release date. The 11 others varied from 2 weeks to 2 plus months (with a month plus being the average) Almost all of the titles were commonly available at the average B&M retailer.

The music will soon stop.....how many chairs will be left?

Good Luck to All
Ron
Old 11-06-01, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

Sopranos

I just checked my invoices to see if they shipped Sopranos :S2 yet, and they freaking changed the price!!

To accept, I have to click on a new link for $60, $7 more than was accepted almost 2 months ago!!

I hope I can dispute the charges with my credit card and I planned to cancel my membership anyway, but this sucks!!

Aaron
Old 11-06-01, 02:51 PM
MrN

Anyone know if the new price they give you includes shipping/tax?

I tried to ask them via Live Help, but no response yet....
Old 11-06-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure about tax, but it DOES NOT include shipping. Whatever you previously paid for shipping on that item will be added to that price when you accept the new price.

-Brett
Old 11-06-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Same deal with me on the Sopranos Season 2. New price is about $7.00 less than the BJ's price of $67.99 so I stick with that one. But I cancelled many others.

Time to bury this corpse. It's starting to smell bad.
Old 11-10-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Today is reason for celebration!!! I canceled my account today!!! I feel a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. While I still have one more shipment left to receive (Beastmaster released almost 3 weeks ago ), I could not wait any longer. They finally credited me (after many e-mail requests) for the MMDC VHS tapes they incorrectly sent and I just had to bail. Even if I never get Beastmaster, I'm only out $12.33. That amount would easily be worth being rid of this poor excuse for an online dealer.

Normally I am saddened when an online dealer fails and goes out of business. When this one goes under - and it will - it will be more cause for celebration in my book!!
Old 11-10-01, 11:52 PM

This place really bites the big one. I love their motto, "Your price or less. Guaranteed." Unless, of course they decide on a new pricing structure. One of the orders they repriced and wanted me to approve was Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. The new price at SH*TBOX was $9.01, plus .89 shipping, or $9.90. DDD sells the title for $9.36 and free shipping. And I get to pay a monthly fee for the right to pay higher prices. I will dance in the streets the day this place goes belly up.
Old 11-11-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As soon as my last orders straggle in....... I'm out the door!
Old 11-12-01, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well...
i just cancelled my "membership". they ask you to provide them with a reason/comments why you're cancelling so they could "improve their service" -- here's what i put...

"To be quite honest with you...i've had two transactions with your company. Both were good. But, unfortunately, according to the online community DVDTalk.com i'm think i'm in the minority. So, as much as i like getting bargains and sticking it to the "corporate" stores [and supporting a start-up dot.com], i don't want to take a chance on having a reason to become one of the MANY bad experience posts..."

right after doing this, i tried to uninstall the software and everytime i do, my norton anti-virus gives me a virus/malicious code alert. [the alert says it's nimba] when i repair the file. it tells me to quarantine it. when i quarantine it, it tells me to delete it. when i delete it, it tells me it's safe to use my comp...leaving the program INSTALLED! grrr
Old 11-12-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey dude! Don't forget to shut the door on the way out!!!
Old 11-12-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many, many pardons for the probably stupid question, but is there an automated way to cancel or do I have to call this in?
Old 11-12-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mtucker
Many, many pardons for the probably stupid question, but is there an automated way to cancel or do I have to call this in?
You can do it through the site (I did). I can't remember the actual screen but there is a link on the site to cancel. You have to be logged in and it is on the bottom of one of the member screens, maybe the screen that comes up after you log in. I'm not sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.