Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A look at the special edition DVD of Queen's "We Will Rock You"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-01, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The special edition DVD of "We Will Rock You" is now available in America. Here is a review;

First off, the packaging is new. Instead of that generic silhouette of Freddie, the new DVD has a very nice shot of the band on stage.

The tracklisting is identical to the previous DVD release.

Putting in the disc we see a nice animated menu with Queen playing in the background.

Starting off with the video/audio presentation...

The film is presented in anamorphic widescreen finally giving fans the chance to see the film in it's intended ratio. Afterall, the film was originally shot for an IMAX type show on a 5 story tall screen.

This is a completely NEW video transfer, this time in high-definition. The differences between this DVD and all previous home video releases are very noticable. The new DVD shows so much more detail, the clarity in some shots was stunning. It also gave much more depth to the lighting Queen used on stage. All specs of dirt, scratches, hair, etc were removed. This is the BEST "We Will Rock You" has ever looked.

The audio is a new Dolby Digital 5.1 mix and again, it's something to behold. You will never hear a better sounding Brian May guitar solo, the mix is that good. (There is also a seperate DTS release of the disc for those that have DTS receivers.)

Concerning the extras, there is a informative audio commentary track by the film's director, Saul Swimmer. He shares plenty of anecdotes such as how the members of Queen insisted on screening the film seperate from each other, that Roger poked fun at the way Freddie held his hands at the piano and how Brian basically ignored all the cameras insisting that his performance was for the fans at the concert and nothing else. One odd thing Swimmer said was calling Queen a "cult band". They were coming off their biggest success ever in North America at the time and that equals cult status?

There is an extremely easy Queen trivia quiz to play (though there are some mistakes as calling "The Loser in the End" simply "The Loser" but these are minor quibbles.)

Also included are bios of the band and for each seperate member. You can also check out a Queen discography, complete with album covers, tracklistings and how they did in the charts (they only refered to the UK charts for some reason.)

Then there is a virtual tour of Queen landmarks in England where you take a subway to each location (such as Kensington Market, the Queen fan club, etc) all the while hearing subway announcements like 'please watch your step' which made it fun.

All in all this is a no-brainer purchase, even if you own the previously released DVD. The new widescreen hi-def transfer and audio mix is worth it alone.
Old 10-31-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The previous version was garbage

I'm not sure I trust this review. The original DVD was easily the worst concert DVD I've ever heard or seen. Horrible picture , incredibly bad sound.
Old 10-31-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The previous version was garbage

Originally posted by cungar
The original DVD was easily the worst concert DVD I've ever heard or seen. Horrible picture , incredibly bad sound.
I give you Yes - Live In Philadelphia, for that dubious distinction
Old 10-31-01, 01:37 PM

Re: The previous version was garbage

I'm not sure I trust this review. The original DVD was easily the worst concert DVD I've ever heard or seen. Horrible picture , incredibly bad sound.
Trust me or not but the facts you have to deal with are this;

It's a RE-ISSUE with a NEW HIGH DEFINTION TRANSFER so it does NOT look the same as the previous DVD. The sound has been REMIXED for a NEW 5.1 soundtrack.

I don't get what you're saying, just because the previous edition was "bad", that means a new re-issue cannot possibly be an improvement?
Old 11-01-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No offense intended, it's just that the original print is so bad, I have a hard time believing they could make something out of it. I believe your impressions are honest, I just don't want to be dissapointed if I have to buy it again. It was a great concert but the picture and sound are just horrendous on the original. Is the picture brighter and clearer. Is the sound really comparable to any current music DVDs?
Old 11-01-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does the DTS version have all the same features as the DD version? Can anyone confirm?? Bad enough that the DTS version costs $3 more...
Old 11-01-01, 02:02 PM

No offense intended, it's just that the original print is so bad, I have a hard time believing they could make something out of it. I believe your impressions are honest, I just don't want to be dissapointed if I have to buy it again. It was a great concert but the picture and sound are just horrendous on the original. Is the picture brighter and clearer. Is the sound really comparable to any current music DVDs?
It's a new high definition transfer, what more can I say about the AWESOME picture quality?

If you thought the old one sucks, you won't be disappointed with the "special edition".
Old 11-01-01, 03:45 PM
Banned

I was under the impression that IMAX films couldn't be presented in widescreen without either cropping the image or severe distortion along the edges. Or was the movie not actually shot in IMAX?
Old 11-01-01, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Josh Martin
I was under the impression that IMAX films couldn't be presented in widescreen without either cropping the image or severe distortion along the edges. Or was the movie not actually shot in IMAX?
"IMAX type show" in that it was shown on huge screens. It was not IMAX but similar in presentation to the public.
Old 11-12-01, 05:55 PM
lxl

How can you tell...

which is the newer version? (different cover art?) I want to get the new version but don't want to end up getting the old one.

TIA.