Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

NETFLIX completely SCREW me over, seemingly because of a complaint I had made

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

NETFLIX completely SCREW me over, seemingly because of a complaint I had made

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-01, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NETFLIX completely SCREW me over seemingly because of a complaint I had made

I have been a long-time loyal customer, and Netflix just screwed me over today BIG-TIME, apparently because my complaint to their customer service about some serious shipping-time problems that I was experiencing with discs was not to their liking. This has come as a real shock to me, and I can't clearly explain what happened because I am unsure of some of it myself.

I live in New York so it has always taken a long time for discs to arrive from and return to Netflix's California warehouse, but the problem was getting to be exceptional bad for the past month. On 10/4, I started a new billing cycle on the $40/per month "8-out" plan, and to this date I had only received a staggering low 7 discs because the rentals that I had mailed back were taking forever before they were confirmed as returned by Netflix, and as a result were preventing new discs in my queue from being shipped. The ones that I had mailed back were taking over 2 weeks before Netflix notified me that they were returned, which was an intolerable condition since it was severely reducing from the number of discs that would be normally expected in a rental month. This was starting to upset me because I was actually receiving discs LESS frequently than when I was on the much cheaper "3-out" plan, so I e-mailed them about it, basically complaining about the bad service and asking why it was taking ages for discs to be shipped and returned. I couldn't believe what they did in response.

They flat-out CANCELLED my account midway through the current rental month even though I would be paying for a full month, and out of nowhere demanded that I return 9 missing discs (that I don't even have because I never received them)
, or else they would TAKE ME TO COURT because of some b.s. about how I somehow violated some postal service law with "fraudulent" behavior by cancelling and restarting accounts
four times during the past 13 months. Never mind that they refused to address the problem about their horrendous shipping service of late that I had inquired of in my e-mail; now they stop my membership effective immediately, and want me to return MISSING discs that never arrived and are THREATENING me with legal action for a violation that I don't even know if I indeed did unwittingly commit, or if such a violation even truly exists. The 9 discs that they claiming I am keeping from them with "fraudulent intent" were ones that had never emerged from the postal service during my 13 months as a committed Netflix customer, and had rightfully reported to them as having "never arrived". I don't understand how they can hold me liable for inevitable post-office foul-ups, especially since I had rented approximately 200 titles from them. "Why didn't I cancel my account if I thought the service was so poor," they barked back additionally, "instead of continuing on as a member, with some account cancellations and re-signings along the way?"

Obviously I am incredibly upset by all this, especially by the serious and false charges that they are audaciously making against me, and I still don't even understand the logic behind the sequence of events that had just transpired. Did they really take such an affront to my sincere complaint about the unacceptably long shipping times that they would react so viciously? Did I really violate some postal service law by cancelling and restarting accounts? Can they really hold me responsible for discs that were LOST in the mail, for chrissakes? To think that I have (or had) been a faithful customer of theirs nearly since their inception, and this is how I am rewarded. I don't know how to proceed from this.

Last edited by Elastica; 10-23-01 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-23-01, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your previous post left no details that might suggest how the missing discs had become missing. It is not unheard of for people to yank items out of a RFD mailbox, for example. A few months ago, someone had videotaped something like that going on with their mailbox in the north seattle area. Evidently, they got tired of the occasional missing mail and lay in wait for the perps to drive by and riffle their mail. There's a lot problems with this in various neighborhoods. In the most problem-ridden areas, the USPS insists that the RFD type mailboxes be replaced with those kiosk aluminum ones with the individual key locks.
Old 10-23-01, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please use this thread to continue this Netflix discussion.

Thanks.

Closing thread.

-stevevt