Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted : Dumbo 60th

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Dumbo is going to come out next Tues, yet I haven't found a single review of the disc yet. Yes, i know the movie is good, but there is such a huge disparity in picture quality between Snow White and some of the older classic Disney titles that I'd like to know what I'm getting. Also I'm curious about who's on the audio commentary. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-21-01, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has an early copy??
Old 10-23-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe DVD sites aren't reviewing this. I picked up my copy this morning. Those of you who bought Snow White and think Disney has cleaned up its act will be brought back down to reality by this release. I have to say that it is better than many of the Limited/Gold Collection series. The commentary is pretty informative. There's a really cheesy music video with William Shatner's brother singing "Baby Mine." There's a couple sing-a-longs and read-a-longs, but those aren't my cup of tea.

The video quality on this thing is horrendous. Don't go in expecting Snow White video quality. The sound fares better than the visuals. But this is a great movie and this is likely the best we'll see for quite some time. I'd say its a must-own just for the content. You'll just have to endure the mediocre video quality.
Old 10-24-01, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Sorry to hear that, especially since I preordered it this weekend. No wonder Di$ney held back every review copy. Still, for $15 shipped, it's probably worth it, if only for my little girl to enjoy. Isn't there a making of featurette as well, how is that?
Old 10-24-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, there's probably quite a few more extras than I mentioned. I haven't checked out the documentary yet. Like I said, I think this is a must own just based on content alone - and this is the best release we'll see any time soon. I'm sure your little girl can tolerate the transfer. This film is 60 years old by the way - people simply didn't put as much effort into Dumbo as they have for Snow White or Citizen Kane.
Old 10-24-01, 10:55 AM

I watched this last night, and have to agree the video transfer is no better than the VHS tape (I usually don't care about these things, but it is noticable). There are some extras, but they may be found on the up coming merry melodies treasured dvd.
It is still a great kid friendly film and only lasts an hour.

I would have like to seen this cheaper. You can buy Snow White cheaper and there's more value with it. There is a $5 rebate if you own the VHS and want to cut the proof of purchase off. There is also a deal of buying Snow White, Dumbo and another Disney video you can get a free DVD (the usual choices of older dvds that didn't sell well). You'll need cash register reciepts and proofs of purchases.
Old 10-24-01, 12:07 PM

I can't believe DVD sites aren't reviewing this.
We WILL review it, but Disney doesn't send pre-street screeners. When you see Disney reviews before street, that's because those involved on the site found a retail copy early and wrote about it. For those of us who have to wait for our screeners, the reviews are delayed. I should receive my copy today and hope to have the review posted by Friday...
Old 10-24-01, 10:30 PM

I watched this last night, and have to agree the video transfer is no better than the VHS tape
Geez, exaggerate much? Dumbo IS a disappointment visually, especially after Snow White, but let's view the thing realistically. Overall, it's a good picture except the copious levels of dust and grain that appear. They give the thing a somewhat grimy look that detracts from the experience. However, remember that it's 60 years old; compare it to other films from 1941 and it looks pretty solid. It's only in comparison with other Disney offerings that it comes up short...