Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

B&M's only seem to have P&S Cats & Dogs...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to 4 stores(Kmart, BJ's, Circuit City and the Wiz) all of them only have Cats & Dogs in pan & scam. I really hope this does not help Warners arguement that P&S sells better then Widescreen. Well it will because you CAN'T get the Widescreen version
Old 10-16-01, 10:15 AM

Same thing for me. I went to Target and they had about 20 Full screen and that was it.
Old 10-16-01, 10:53 AM

Same here in Austin, TX. Went to BestBuy, CircuitCity, and Frys.
Old 10-16-01, 11:09 AM

Same thing here in Frederick, MD area. What gives? Oh well, no widescreen, NO SALE.

Skip
Old 10-16-01, 11:18 AM

I noticed that at Circuit City here too while I was picking up Star Wars: Episode I. Fortunately I have the widescreen version on order from Amazon. Unfortunately, it has not shipped and is listed as "On Order - Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Weeks"
Old 10-16-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Since the WS version was announced pretty late it's likely that most stores had already placed their orders for what was then the only version available. And I doubt that WB was out reminding them that the WS version was also available.
Old 10-16-01, 12:21 PM

The widescreen version is forthcoming, but not out yet. Here is what DVD Empire said about it in their review:

"Well, it was, albeit a late one. Warner announced the fullscreen version originally some months ago but then WILLY WONKA hit and suddenly they realized that people also wanted widescreen. Thus they announced the widescreen version three weeks before release. Those of you who ordered that version don’t have it yet because in the world of DVD, it takes more than three weeks to make a master and do the duplicating. Warner won’t admit that part, so we get left looking like the bad guys for a product that hasn’t shipped yet.

So, what I’m trying to say is if you haven’t seen a widescreen version yet, you are not alone! Because, neither have we, but when we do, we will waste no time in getting it out to you post haste!"
Old 10-16-01, 12:52 PM

UUUgggHHH!!
GRRRRRRR
Arrrggghh!!
Man ,
warner Brothers should be reprimanded daily for this!
So does this mean were gonna have to wait for Cats and Dogs to be released widescreened.
Im not at all fond of the full screen version and like many of you I have better things to do than run all over town checking every single store that sells DVD for the WS version (5 to be exact!!)
Disappointed again!
Old 10-16-01, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm having just the opposite problem. I want the fullscreen version, but all I can find is widescreen.
Old 10-16-01, 01:02 PM

Well, that saves me a few stops when I go out later this afternoon.

I checked BB, CC, Walmart and Blockbuster in San Antonio and they only had full screen.

I was going to check Sam's, Borders and Suncoast later today but if there is delay I guess there is no point.

I hate the delay but at least you guys saved me a few extra stops this afternoon.

Thanks for the info. No wonder I check this forum out daily. Actually, I stop by here 2-4 times a day.
Old 10-16-01, 03:58 PM

maybe Groucho can pick up all the WS copys he is finding and mail them to us since he says he is having the opposite trouble(see the other thread to see what I am talking about)
I got mine from suncoast and thought the preorder sheet and the preorder ticket I had for two months said Widescreen version.
Hey groucho I will gladly trade you my full frame for that Widescreen of this and Ill even throw in a movie poster!!
Old 10-16-01, 06:11 PM

Maybe someone could ask Warner tonight at the Home Theater Forum chat with Warner Brothers executives. It would be interesting to hear their answer as to when the widescreen version should be available & why they didn't say anything about a delay.
Old 10-17-01, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by mugwump
Since the WS version was announced pretty late it's likely that most stores had already placed their orders for what was then the only version available. And I doubt that WB was out reminding them that the WS version was also available.
The people at my Best Buy said exactly this and that the widescreen was only available for them to order about a week ago after they had already placed their normal order.
Old 10-17-01, 12:27 AM

I have a REALLY valid point about the laziness of WEA.
Soo theyre saying that this is being marketed to the kiddies.OK then why is there a commentary track on this at all,whats the purpose.Is a commentary track MORE important than it being widescreened and the fact that there are two commentary tracks makes me wonder what kind of board meeting took place that day when they decided that sure,the kiddies want to listen to the directors pontificate on the technical aspects of the film yet its too technical for them to accept widescreen.
WEA,,give me a solid break and a coupon for a free replacement DVD.